Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Edge of the Storm

Mason Jarr

I took this photo about 3 weeks ago and finally got it processed. It was just after a storm was ending and we had about 6 inches of new snow. The sky was completely overcast, but from somewhere the sun broke through and highlighted that single hill.

Breathtaking photo. I love the fresh snow before any tracks are made. Thanks!

Thank you. I'm still trying to get one of our great sunset photos, but they've all been on the days I've not been able to get out. One day my schedule will align with the sun's!

Are landscape shots your main interest,you certainly seem to know how to get a dramatic photo.......lovely.
How did you manage to obtain surface detail on the rock at the right hand side of the photo when the photo contains three different levels of lighting.The rock is also in shadow but you have still managed to prevent it from being rendered as solid black......most impressive.

Neil, my camera will capture six stops of dynamic range. An image, such as this one, will about push that limit. I have a handheld light meter, so I can take a reading off the brightest area, save that reading to the meter and then scan the area for the darkest spot. The meter will let me know if I'm outside my camera's range. You can still exceed the 6 stop range, but it requires more advanced methods. Some cameras have HDR features now. When in that mode the camera will automatically bracket several shots, up and down from where you're metered, and then you can blend those images in Photoshop. While I'm not opposed to doing that method, I'd much rather do it "in camera". This one was not done as an HDR blend. Had the sun been brighter in the background, I'm sure it would have exceeded my camera's range. Some of the new mirrorless camera's, like one on the Sony models, have about a 9 stop dynamic range.

And, yes, I mainly work with landscapes. Mainly due to my environment, more than my desire. I live in a small town without many people or events, but there are some phenomenal natural features in any direction I drive. I'm going to a photography school starting this June. While in the school I'll have to learn (and practice) almost every type of photography there is. I'll be working in a studio with lighting and that's something I've never done, so I'm looking forward to it. I think ultimately, I'll continue to focus on landscapes (mainly because I like being outside and I love the dramatic light that happens), but I also might dabble in doing some product photography (commercial products) to help pay the bills. Maybe some architectural photography, also, if there's a market in my area.

Thanks, Dave. I've been out on the Aleutians. I lived in Alaska for 10 years and went out to Shemya AFB a few times. I think it's called Erickson AFB now. Also landed at another island on the way out there, but I can't remember the name of it.

Yes, that's the one. I remember it well because we had to make such a steep approach to the runway. Were you stationed there?

Yes for a year. I'm pretty sure that the runway actually went up hill....not level. There was at least one plane that crashed there, probably more. Very bad weather....many days had hurricane force winds and also I believe there were about 2 weeks total of sunshine, the rest of the year was overcast. I'm sure it was like that on the other islands too. I was in the Navy in communications stuff....