Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Elton-metal slugs?

Elton what do you mean by little metal slugs, I also use a brass tumbler with the green tumbler media, but it doesn't seem to last long and some of the coins refuse to come clean, my tumbler is a small Lyman maybe I'm not using enough media. or too many coins, and I don't mix the coins Jeff but where do you get the metal slugs? thanks

They were in a 10LB Box......Little stainlesss steel pellets..Guy said they were used by manufacturing plant cleaning their parts.
I had posted I bought them, but remembered I was given these, and then saw them at hardware store..Sorry for bad info. it was a long time ago !!
You should be able to get them just about anywhere.............I would check Sears Hardware. Or the Freight depot place.

This is the best I can do.wish it were better

I was just told that BB Gun amo will clean the copper just as well, and the stainless BB's will do the silver colored clad..Do not mix the copper BB's will rose color the silver clad. Might be easier to find.

Elton your just full of surprises. Tell me all about it. What do I need? Enquiring minds need to know. Of course that leaves me out than I am kind of mindless and sitting around collecting dust most of the time. I have a rock tumbler but not real happy with results. Never heard of using a brass tumbler. I am waiting with great anticipation. Thanks Jer

Just about any kind of media will do. I use a handful of sand per barrel and the coins come out as clean as you can get them. Just remember to tumble copper by themselves.

Hi Jer:

It's a cleaner for brass.any Gun shop or retail sports store sells them.........It does not tumble it vibrates them clean..Kinda on the order of the sonic jewelry cleaners. Just add your cleaning solution (409) works well. Add a few metal BB's-Stars- what ever you have and it cleans them very well....Gun Store sells green clean material for shining.or the cob stuff for rough cleaning..I do not use that stuff often.Pellets work better..........even rough stones will do it..just takes a little longer. Let me make this clear..I did not run out and buy a casing cleaner..I had one. Belt broke on my tumbler and I tried the Lyman casing cleaner it worked.Nothing to break, and I just started using it after that. So do not think this is a great save the world idea..It just was there I tried it, it worked..
I mentioned it to DFX Greg because I figured he had one .......The nice thing is you can put a lot of different liquid cleaners and it doesn't blow the top off like some things do on the tumblers.............I have also found cheap cleanser from Walmart , or (bar Cleanser) really cleans them enough for banking in rolls..Just water, a little cleanser and turn it on..Couple hours or so, they are pretty well good to go. It's just one more way of doing it. Nice thing is you can clean a lot more coins at one time with out having the belts or rubber bands break. Tumblers still work fine and hey." maybe better".....

Larry(IL) is correct.If you do them together you will have Rose colored clad.................If you use copper BB's you will have Rose color clad.
The little metal stars does well because it has a sharper end and round middle..It gets in the nicks and crannies of almost the entire coin.

Thanks Elton..
Will be looking the next time I am out at Cabela's. Thanks again... Jer

Your more than welcome Jer.Hope you like it if you get one.