Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EMI issues?

Gannon

Hey folks
Anyone struggle with EMI issues with the Nox 800? I’m running park 1/2 21–22 sense max. It’s been updated as well. Any higher and it really goes bonkers.

You 'might be' able to put that down to the British testers who persuaded the designers to 'not cap' the sens level at 22 but allow it to go to 25 where it has the potential to go wild?
As you have just found out, your site didn't allow that over sensitivity to run smoothly?
My 600 ran "usually" between 16 - 22 and that was enough for me: I can't tolerate an overly 'tetchy' detector.

Thanks Des, in addition to lowering the sens. `there a few tips out there.
Noise cancel try auto the Manual all this does is cause a slight sift in frequency
A last resort would be going to a single frequency.
I regularly operate mine at 22 to 24 but there are sites that cant be helped as in high frequency transmission.
Might be as simple as turning off your cell.
It will hunt quite well at lower sens. settings JMO
HH Jeff

To things I noticed here in Fl, your cell phone off or in your back pocket (works for me) and if where you are has buildings close by or even line of site, their WIFI can cause that. Nearby power-lines and approaching thunderstorms as usual.

Once I go below 18 sens in an air test a 9” Merc won’t come in anymore. Just something to think about. I like the fact the sens isn’t capped,I want to be able see where the “wild” kicks in, instead of wondering how much more there might be...

HI Gannon,
I have hunted with the Nox in many places with electric fences, heavy EMI, extreme ground mineralization and my backyard with my neighbor's huge rooftop short wave antenna 60 ft away. I have always been able to hunt effectively at sensitivity settings of 15 to 18 and have rarely had to go below 15 due to EMI. I have dug 10 to 12" rosies, wheats and V nickels with the sensitivity on 18 or less. I would not worry about losing to much depth if you have to turn down the gain to get a relatively quiet background. My dirt is very mineralized so 1 foot deep coin targets at 18 gain is pretty impressive.

I pay little attention to air test numbers on the Nox since it is a multi frequency detector. They are not very impressive by the way and have little bearing on how deep it will really go.

Jeff

I appreciate everyone’s thoughts. Thank you.

jmaclen said:
HI Gannon,
I have hunted with the Nox in many places with electric fences, heavy EMI, extreme ground mineralization and my backyard with my neighbor's huge rooftop short wave antenna 60 ft away. I have always been able to hunt effectively at sensitivity settings of 15 to 18 and have rarely had to go below 15 due to EMI. I have dug 10 to 12" rosies, wheats and V nickels with the sensitivity on 18 or less. I would not worry about losing to much depth if you have to turn down the gain to get a relatively quiet background. My dirt is very mineralized so 1 foot deep coin targets at 18 gain is pretty impressive.

I pay little attention to air test numbers on the Nox since it is a multi frequency detector. They are not very impressive by the way and have little bearing on how deep it will really go.

Jeff

I just don't see how a detector will go deeper in the soil with resistance than it will in an airtest without resistance. Will someone please explain to me how the laws of physics do not apply to metal detectors? I have been detecting 30+ years and still have not seen a detector that goes deeper in the soil than it will do an airtest. If a detector can not airtest a dime at 10" how will it detect a 10" buried dime in the ground? It's Ludacris to think other wise IMO.

Hi u2robert

First, do you own or have you got lots of time on an Equinox?

Second, I do not know where IDX air tested his Nox and a mercury dime, how much EMI was present or what his settings were, etc.

If detectors could be air tested in completely EMI free environments (if there is such a thing anymore!) I am sure that your conclusions would be correct as there would be little if any resistance.

I regularly use Pulse Induction and multi frequency detectors since I detect in highly mineralized soil areas that also have lots of EMI and ground balance issues.

Air testing in my area due to EMI levels with the Nox and my PI detectors can actually result in slightly more depth with in ground targets of about an inch for the Nox and more for my GPX 4800. For the moment I am chalking this up to high EMI levels during the air testing. With single frequency detectors the air test numbers are alway better than in ground tests in my area probably due to the high mineralization.

I do not know if the disputed halo effect could also be making my PI detectors and multi frequency detector hit targets in ground that are slightly deeper than similar air tested coins that are still inside the soil/root cocoon that they were enclosed in. I have tested this. I can only assume that when that happens moisture levels could be different for the buried targets as opposed to the same target air tested after it dries out.

Thanks for raising your questions. I like to learn as much as I can and I certainly haven't been detecting 30 years. I have a lot more research to do on the Equinox and its functions and abilities as compared to single frequency VLFs.

Jeff

.....of course it might not be EMI at all? Just plain old 'over-sensitivity'

Its easy to distinguish the two: Set to 22 and hold the coil in the air about 'chest high' coil vertical to the horizon and wait for any EMI to occur?
Then face the coil downward to the ground still at chest height and wait again and if no EMI occurs with the coil in either 'plane', then it isn't EMI: its over-sensitivity.

Too much sensitivity for the ground conditions is definitely a possibility.. The default setting of 20 for all the search modes is too high for most of the places I detect .

Jeff

jmaclen,

As for the halo effects the halo effects just makes the target larger to the detector if an Indian head has halo effect because of corrosion the detector now sees the penny as nickel size so it can detect that target easier.

As for EMI that is just another equation added to the matrix but when the test is equal a detector will NOT detect a target in the ground deeper than it will airtest a target. and yes i have use multi frequncy detectors stating with the CZ5 for years.

Moisture just make the soil easier for the detector to penetrate the soil.I don't think the Equinox will detct deeper underwater?

Hi u2robert

I appreciate your reply and I can only speak from experience just like you.

I asked you if you had lots of time on the Equinox.

I just did an air test and an in ground test in my back yard buried coin test garden. I have a mercury dime buried at 8". I put my Equinox 600 and 800 as near to that buried target as I could and set them up the same way, adjusted the recovery speed on the 800 so it was the same as the 600 in Park 1, 18 sensitivity with the stock 11" coil. I got repeatable high tone high conductor responses out to 7.25" inches in the air test due to super bad EMI. Any setting over 18 and I would not have been able to distinguish the merc from the EMI interference. I had the same settings for the in ground test with both detectors and I got repeatable high tone high conductor responses on the 8" mercury dime.......

Again, this is my experience, no matter what the theory is or the laws of physics which you have expressed well and which I do not dispute.

Jeff

I kind of like having that extra power Des...... even if i cant use it. BUT....... has anyone that has used both programs noticed there seems to have been a sensitivity shift. What i mean by that is Beach 2 is almost as hot as Beach 1 in the wet sand now........ and it seems on the new program you can get higher sensitivity digits. Was it just a matter of ML shifting those digits nearer to 25 like Des said giving somewhat of a reduced power if you can use it?