Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EMI problem

Bdlowder

New to the CTX and visiting in Dayton Beach, Florida and tried to use the detector in a yard with a substation . It's making noises like crazy _yellow blotches all over the screen . I'm assuming this is emi I'm experiencing . I can't seem to get away from it even by lowering the sensitivity to A from +3 and volume to 22 . I've got several books but not enough experience with detectors to figure it out . I want to go to the beach while here so need to figure this out soon .
Anyone have a suggestion and what to expect at the beach if this can be tuned out ?
I used to live and S. Fl and there was underground electric systems installed everywhere ,so I got to believe the beach with all the condos will be very similar .

Youve already stated the problem. BTW A+3 to A is not really lowering your sensitivity. If EMI is a problem, you need to put it in manual and really lower the sens. although, if you are that close to transformer, there would likely be nothing but the very lowest numbers to calm down the detector.

Don't worry about EMI in your yard when you are planning on using it at the beach. Just go there and put it in beach mode, manual sensitivity and go as high as possible until its just lightly falsing. Then dig everything that isnt iron.

Dry sand is like hunting on land. Wet sand needs a more little more refining. Saltwater you will likely need to enable seawater and adjust the sens. a little more.

Because being in “Auto” still allows the machine to raise or lower the Sensitivity level by itself,even if you go to A down from A+3 it could STILL adjust the Sensitivity level too high on its own for the EMI conditions, is what Jason is saying. Manual Sensitivity will KEEP the level where your ears tell you to put it,and that is low enough so that the chattering and silliness stops.
You might find(very high chance that you WILL find) that EMI is the CTX’s Achilles heel. It does not like it. Noise cancelling out of it can be done sometimes,I’d say around my areas it works satisfactorily about 30% of the time. The other times the sensitivity must be put into Manual and lowered till it stops. If your coil is sitting still and you’re still getting a cursor bombing around the screen or splotchiness randomly appearing on the screen,you must lower it more. A small coil will help. If you are hunting deep coins(8”+) you want all the Sensitivity you can get,while at the same time remaining stable enough that you can interpret what the machine is saying.

Did you do a noise cancel on machine? I says your new to ctx that is the first thing to do.

cw3 said:
Did you do a noise cancel on machine? I says your new to ctx that is the first thing to do.

This is a good point and even though most of us know about the noise cancel process,some may not. It is of course in the operators manual as to how it’s performed...

Yep noise cancelled by touching coil to ground .I adjusted to manual and it did become usable . I'm new to this machine and to detecting as a whole but I read several of the books(like 6 of them ) . I am grasping it quickly but having to figure it out by doing as there isn't anyone I know around me that detects.
I keep seeing the black cursor showing me to dig with good numbers but there is a blue blob at the bottom of the screen -is this indicating 2 or more target -one under the other ? So far I've used it morre to take readings and haven't dug as much until I get more dependent . I purchased this particular model and paid for plenty for its value in discrimination ..I am like most hoping it is accurate enough to prevent a whole lot of digging up yards for stuff I don't want when I get it mastered . Is it capable of this from others using it - What is your opinion about the accuracy of the ctx-3030 ?

I've had my 3030 4 years its an incredible machine. I can not dig trash about 90 percent of the time. I dig trash when i think I'm smarter than the machine. Usually the people who complain about the ctx dont own one. I'm very happy with mine if it dies i'm getting another one. Usually the people that complain about the ctx don't own one or have ever used one.

The machine has a noise cancel button and a ground balance button. You need to look in the manual and do both at each location. Get the andy sabish book will help you learn the machine.

Post your location someone may live by you that can get you started.

The stuff showing up at bottom of screen is iron.

Yep got Andy's Sabish Book and refer to it constantly but there are somethings that you just cant read ,you got to do them to figure it out .Actually I've read every popular book written about the ctx but still have some things not figured out because I just have not experienced them yet . It seems I am still building the foundation but so far I am impressed with the operation of the machine .
I already am hunting for a whites pulse scan because I think it will complement the cxt or at least allow me to maybe appreciate the cxt more ?

Just looked at the post so sorry for the delay . I actually live in N.E. Kentucky around Ashland -Ky. But my parents are in Ormond Beach ,Florida and I visit regularly . I really like the detector and it has really sparked my interest in learning about how they work ,plus like finding something interesting in the ground on occasion ! Great hobby to relax and get some exercise too .
I am looking into adding the Minelab pro-swing 45 to help with the weight and make it easier to swing before spring .
I also purchased the Minelab 35 pin pointer and found it to be really good at pin pointing out the object in dirt/mud/sand .
Since purchasing the Minelab CTX 3030 I have added a Whites Pulse Scan TDI . I choose to find a older model vs new because of what I've read about the big box units being deep and geat in mineralized soil .Now I need to find a pin pointer for the pulse .
Also picked up a Blisstool ltc64x v6 so its going to be a interesting upcoming spring to go from none to all three great unit and use them each for their own specific specialties then trying to figure out what I like best . Toss up will be which is favorite ?

Bdlowder said:
Just looked at the post so sorry for the delay . I actually live in N.E. Kentucky around Ashland -Ky. But my parents are in Ormond Beach ,Florida and I visit regularly . I really like the detector and it has really sparked my interest in learning about how they work ,plus like finding something interesting in the ground on occasion ! Great hobby to relax and get some exercise too .
I am looking into adding the Minelab pro-swing 45 to help with the weight and make it easier to swing before spring .
I also purchased the Minelab 35 pin pointer and found it to be really good at pin pointing out the object in dirt/mud/sand .
Since purchasing the Minelab CTX 3030 I have added a Whites Pulse Scan TDI . I choose to find a older model vs new because of what I've read about the big box units being deep and geat in mineralized soil .Now I need to find a pin pointer for the pulse .
Also picked up a Blisstool ltc64x v6 so its going to be a interesting upcoming spring to go from none to all three great unit and use them each for their own specific specialties then trying to figure out what I like best . Toss up will be which is favorite ?

Great to see you’re having a good time getting into the whole thing...but it does take time to build that foundation. ALOT of time just going hunting will teach you things that people might try to explain but can really only be REALIZED as it happens in real time. Getting great advice gives you things to look for,and you can confirm these as you go. I’ve gotten a huge head start from forum members who know their stuff,and there are those who know their stuff!
The Pro-Swing is very nice! Make sure to try it out with ALL of your machines and get your balance point correct when considering where you’re going to hook it up on the TDI and BT. The CTX has the eyelets right at the base of the handle for those who swing right or left. Make sure to spend the time that it takes to adjust the harness to YOU, it has many things you can adjust to make it PERFECT!
I don’t have any experience with the other 2, but I do have some reps on the CTX. For coinhunting at depth with very reliable results,it is a tough act to follow. I think a lot of it is that it gives the operator very interpretable information...there’s just not as much “guessing” going on as with perhaps other machines. Expensive? Comparatively,yes. “Worth it”? To me,yes. Everything is relative,it just depends on who you are,where you sit and how much the hobby means to YOU.
Since you have it already,the purchase itself isn’t the issue. The “issue” if any is going to be getting out quite often and getting your ability to know WHAT to adjust and WHY up to speed.
If I could offer just ONE thing it would be this....do NOT run the machine with the sensitivity too high for conditions. As stated up a few,you have to know how to set it for maximum effectiveness while not losing targets in a mess of sound. There are places that WILL NOT allow you to tickle any 9” coins because of either trash density or EMI problems or ground conditions. Kinda like a car going around a curve in winter...you have to keep it on the edge of stable, and know how to tell where that edge is.
Keep us posted...:minelab:

The information given on Noise Cancel that says to touch the coil to the ground is incorrect. Below you will find the instructions from Minelab.

Perform Auto Noise Cancel
Auto Noise Cancel is recommended.
1. Make sure there are no large targets or obvious sources of EMI close by, and hold
the detector coil 12 inches (30 centimeters) above the ground (Figure 17). **Figure 17 is the attached picture below**
2. From the Map or Detect screens press the Noise Cancel button to initiate Auto
Noise Cancel.
Automatic channel selection will commence and a progress bar will be displayed. Keep the detector still during the selection process, which may take up to 30 seconds. Press the trigger to terminate Noise Cancel at any time.
When the progress bar reaches 100% it will disappear and an audio signal will convey that Noise Cancel is complete.
12” (30 cm)
Figure 17 – Correct detector position for Noise Cancel
Manual Noise Cancel
The Manual setting allows you to manually select and listen to each channel for the least interference.
To manually adjust Noise Cancel:
1. Make sure there are no large targets or obvious sources of EMI close by, then hold
the detector 12 inches (30 centimeters) above the ground (Figure 17). **Figure 17 is the attached picture below**
2. Open the Noise Cancel Quick Menu and use the down arrow button to highlight
the Manual option. Press Select.
3. Press the left or right arrow buttons to select a channel. Pause and listen to the interference coming from the detector. Keep the detector still during this process.
4. Once the channel with the least interference has been found, press the Select button to save and exit the menu.

I have a place I’ve been relic hunting for 45 years I call the bullet patch. For example, an F75 is unusable, it even affects a nautilus, etc. It’s surrounded by railroad tracks, underground power lines, and 100 yards away, big overhead lines. I used the 3030 in there and auto noise cancellation I could run sensitivity from 26 to maximum depending on the day. With other top of the line machines I would average 12 bullets in 1 1/2 hours like clockwork. First time in with 3030 after hard hunting for years with other machines I got 23 bullets, one in wood measured 14”
Convinced it was the FBS 2 and mostly the way it handles EMI.

I’ve just noticed the modern digital detectors don’t like EMI

That being said if it’s a main, shallow power line it may be nothing you can do

Geo
Noise Canceling
This is one of those things that has some fuzzy edges.
At one of the boot camps a few years back this was disscused and we were told to put the coil on the ground and NC.
It’s been awhile but the reasoning was you don’t hunt with the coil a foot off the ground why NC there , NC on the ground where you hunt.
So I remember starting out NCing a foot off the ground and after the class on the ground.
I’ve got major power lines about 200 yards from my house and really haven’t noticed much interference , I think I’ll give this a look when things warm up and see if it makes any noticeable differance when I play around in the test garden.
It makes sense to NC where you hunt but when it comes to the internal workings of the CTX who knows
BT

Geobound said:
The information given on Noise Cancel that says to touch the coil to the ground is incorrect. Below you will find the instructions from Minelab.

1. Make sure there are no large targets or obvious sources of EMI close by, and hold
the detector coil 12 inches (30 centimeters) above the ground (Figure 17). **Figure 17 is the attached picture below**
2. From the Map or Detect screens press the Noise Cancel button to initiate Auto
Noise Cancel.
Automatic channel selection will commence and a progress bar will be displayed. Keep the detector still during the selection process, which may take up to 30 seconds. Press the trigger to terminate Noise Cancel at any time.
When the progress bar reaches 100% it will disappear and an audio signal will convey that Noise Cancel is complete.
12” (30 cm)
Manual Noise Cancel
The Manual setting allows you to manually select and listen to each channel for the least interference.
1. Make sure there are no large targets or obvious sources of EMI close by, then hold
the detector 12 inches (30 centimeters) above the ground (Figure 17). **Figure 17 is the attached picture below**
3. Press the left or right arrow buttons to select a channel. Pause and listen to the interference coming from the detector. Keep the detector still during this process.
4. Once the channel with the least interference has been found, press the Select button to save and exit the menu.

I noise cancel on the ground. I've only found one thing that bothered the CTX so bad I had to leave, and that was a remote lawn mower. It was just like a roomba sweeper in the house, but a lawn clipper

Ben Town said:
Geo
Noise Canceling
This is one of those things that has some fuzzy edges.
At one of the boot camps a few years back this was disscused and we were told to put the coil on the ground and NC.
It’s been awhile but the reasoning was you don’t hunt with the coil a foot off the ground why NC there , NC on the ground where you hunt.
So I remember starting out NCing a foot off the ground and after the class on the ground.
I’ve got major power lines about 200 yards from my house and really haven’t noticed much interference , I think I’ll give this a look when things warm up and see if it makes any noticeable differance when I play around in the test garden.
It makes sense to NC where you hunt but when it comes to the internal workings of the CTX who knows
BT

Noise Cancel.
12” (30 cm)
Manual Noise Cancel

Hi Ben,

Funny I just posted a reply about my thoughts on this in this thread here.......

https://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,2476524

In short I agree with the logic of doing the NC on the ground, but it isn't always ground interference that's the problem.

In year one I did the NC just skimming the ground, and year two I did it about 12" off of the ground. I'd be hard pressed to notice any significant difference, and that's for hunting in the city or the country. Water hunting is a whole new ball game. LOL......

The few times that I was in an area with high EMI (above ground), I found holding the machine at the 12" mark to make a bit of a difference. There was still the electro magnetic interference going on, but it seemed to soften it some.

I guess the only way I would know for sure would be to do a test with each method, and a few purposely buried targets in the same EMI location.

This could be a new spring project for me to try out...........far too much snow where I am right now to be out detecting. LOL.......