Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EMI question

Ben Town

Can a cell phone “smart phone” cause EMI ?
I’ve always had mine with me and on when detecting and have never experimented with it being off!
Never noticed any terrible problem but maybe it could cause some minor noise?
I was reading another forum and someone mentioned a cell phone as a possible cause.
What does everyone do with your phone ON or OFF?
I guess if it’s off there would be no calls from the wife wanting you to shut the Detector off and come home :spin:
BT

I can hear calls come in when I use my wireless module but no EMI effecting my hunt. US cellar with a Samsung S7 or cheap flip phone its all the same.
Jeff

I always leave my phone in the car no matter what,and always try to eliminate any and all variables possible when hunting. If it’s a requirement to have it along then that’s a personal thing,but mine waits in the car,along with all of the silliness it normally brings...

Ben Town said:
I’ve always had mine with me and on when detecting and have never experimented with it being off!
I was reading another forum and someone mentioned a cell phone as a possible cause.
I guess if it’s off there would be no calls from the wife wanting you to shut the Detector off and come home :spin:
BT

Yes.
I've seen it many times...but it's not predictable.
It depends on which 2 (duplex) frequencies the phone is using a given time, and whether or not those freqs (or a multiple) are close enough to your detectors freq to interfere.

Since a cell-phone carrier typically gets 832 radio frequencies to use in a city, you can see there's quite a wide range of possible frequencies that could be in use by one phone at a given time.
Add to that the cell phones ability to seamlessly switch frequencies, and there's no way to predict and/or respond...
(Remember the line from the old Karate Kid movie..."No can defense.")

I've had guys on their cells walk right past me...three feet away...and I didn't notice a thing.
On the opposite end of that, I've also been hunting and had my unit start to gradually go nuts while a guy was walking towards me from 25 feet away.
(And I had to simply wait until the noise subsided...when he was about 25 feet past me.)

The odds are in your favor that it won't interfere...(about 400 to 1)...but again, you can't guarantee or prepare/defend.
So I always leave my phone in my truck.
:)
mike

Ben Town said:
BT

I always have my phone on. I phone 7 and before that galaxy, never had a problem.

It depends on which pocket my cell phone is in and where my WM10 is?

If they get too close, then yes I get EMI problems.

If you really think you need to have a phone with you when you hunt, then switch it to airplane mode and turn it back on when you need to make a call.

This way you can still snap pictures of all the gold rings and silver dollars you find. :clapping: