Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EMI ?

hang7575

Has anybody else noticed that in humid conditions the EMI interference is worse? My test garden is about 50 yards from power lines. I have to run Rx at 4 to get stable. This morning went out to garden to get ground phase # for above survey with all the settings I used before and had to lower rx to1 to get stable. The only difference was the air was very humid . Am I nuts or is this possible

Anything is possible, but you might be nuts too...........:rofl:

My guess is the moisture in the grass was affecting the V. Try again when it dries out and lets us know.

When back out this afternoon to same spot in my yard same settings ,did not get the interference that I got this morning.Do not think ground had anything to do with it ,it was falsing badly at shoulder level.This is the third time I have noticed this and was always in humid , overcast conditions, or could be the ground hogs wireless internet:biggrin:

Occasionally you can get intermittent EMI from an unknown source. (I have had this happen a couple times and it cleared up.) If it happens a lot...do they rent groundhog traps?

If you have nearby overhead power lines(not the feeder drop to your house but the high potential mains) the insulators can become dirty(pollution, dust etc.). This creates a condition of arc over whereby a path is created over the exterior of the insulator. Those arc overs may not be visible, nor audible, but can nonetheless be wide band noise emitters(spark gap). The high humidity(moisture) can exacerbate the situation by interacting with the "dirt" on the insulators and promoting more current flow. An analogy would be that on a saltwater beach the dry sand doesn't create problems for detectors, until it rains, then the sand is just as conductive as the wet/damp sand within the tidal plane.

HH
BarnacleBill

BarnacleBill said:
Those arc overs may not be visible, nor audible, but can nonetheless be wide band noise emitters(spark gap).

It doesn't even have to be an arc or a gap. A pulsed electric fence will drive the V3 nuts, even if it is quite a good distance away.

SO I am not nuts, Have both overhead lines and electric fence about 50 yards away,but only have trouble with them in high humidity conditions. Thanks guys for explaination