Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EMI

Greg (E.Tn)

I attended an organized relic hunt last weekend, and a large section of the property was bisected by those high tension power lines that emit tons of EMI.

Unfortunately, a spot directly under the power lines was where some of the Civil War soldiers had camped.

I like detecting in multi- freq; the electrical interference was maddening, and after about 30 minutes or so, I had to stop, because I was getting a headache.

Another Equinox user walked by, saw me rubbing my eyes, and, guessing what my problem was, suggested I switch out of Multi to 40 kHz, which I did.

Not only did that eliminate the Interference, I was actually able to increase sensivity a couple of notches.

I understand most here probably already know this, but I wanted to offer it out to other newbies like myself who occasionally struggle with some of the complexities of the Equinox.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing Greg, this was mention some time ago somewhere LOL. I would you like to post it on the Equinox classroom it is a great tip !!
Jeff

How is 40kHz going to work on my wet sand saltwater beach? That's ok, I know the answer. It seems I have over 1/4 miles of issues on my beach. The weird part it is the furthest away from buildings. I have to hunt 1 sensitivity less.

dave

Yeah, I knew there had been a lot of stuff posted regarding EMI, but I figured relating the field application might be helpful.

I had in the past used various single frequency detectors in similar situations, and the only way to lessen the interference was to drastically lower sensitivity.

This was different, though--when I switched from Multi to 40Khz, it was like the EMI was non-existent.

As a matter of fact, the Equinox handled that type of interference far, far better than any other detector I have ever used, ever since I started relic hunting back in 1982.

In my very very limited experience with the equinox I was field hunting a very iron infested field in a portion of the field that also has hotter ground I believe due to cinders mixed in.. between the iron and cinders it was just way too much chatter so I tried 40hz and It calmed down nicely,however the targets I could detect were very small bits of non ferrous but depth seemed to suffer in my experience..it cut out the iron very well though much to my surprise...

Field one has been designed for handling coke infested hunt sites. On the Minelab site in treasure talk read Derek McLennan's talk about how you can "Have your coke and reject it too".
Jeff

midalake said:
How is 40kHz going to work on my wet sand saltwater beach? That's ok, I know the answer. It seems I have over 1/4 miles of issues on my beach. The weird part it is the furthest away from buildings. I have to hunt 1 sensitivity less.

dave
I had this problem yesterday 40khz worked fine I had bad EMI for some reason on a saltwater beach 40 quieted right down

Mkus said:
midalake said:

dave
I had this problem yesterday 40khz worked fine I had bad EMI for some reason on a saltwater beach 40 quieted right down

You worked 40khz on a wet saltwater beach??? What was the sensitivity setting...2?

Dave

I tried it did not like it switched back two multi as I moved back down the beach and EMI quieted down

I have had very little EMI issues with the 800. A few time I encountered heavy throbbing interference that was localized to maybe a hundred feet to yard zone. I tried going through NC and all frequency choices. Of course Beach is Multi only so dropping sensitivity is the only option and not very satisfactory. I'll try to remember this thread and play more with 40.