Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

emi

ron948

I've noticed lately that i can no longer hunt street curbs do to emi. I've turned the sen. down to where the detector is almost worthless to hunt with. The 600 is almost at the end of it's warranty. Is this a common problem or is it time to have it looked at. if so where do you send it for possible repairs.Thanks

Have you tried different frequency's. I ran into that problem a couple times , i switched freqs and it settled right down

I agree. Their are times that I have to go to 10khz

One suggestion is to go to the 6” coil when working high EMI areas. It works great for curb strips and is less susceptible to EMI.

I've noticed lately that i can no longer hunt street curbs do to emi. I've turned the sen. down to where the detector is almost worthless to hunt with. The 600 is almost at the end of it's warranty. Is this a common problem or is it time to have it looked at. if so where do you send it for possible repairs.Thanks
With my Nox 600 I sometimes have to do a noise cancellation 2 or 3 or even 4 times in heavy emi areas, until it finds a good setting that gets rid of the chatter.

With my Nox 600 I sometimes have to do a noise cancellation 2 or 3 or even 4 times in heavy emi areas, until it finds a good setting that gets rid of the chatter.
While in noise cancel you can manually select using the plus or minus button. Single frequency is a great last alternative, just scan thru then to find a quite one. The power company is transmitting frequencies for meter reading purposes and that can reek havoc this sensitive machine and others as well.
HH Jeff

One suggestion is to go to the 6” coil when working high EMI areas. It works great for curb strips and is less susceptible to EMI.
A good suggestion, and it is one reason I seldom deal with EMI. I have been using smaller-than-stock search coils, and usually at or very near maximum Sensitivity levels, 99% of the time since mid-'68. The so-called "standard" search coils use to be about 8" in diameter and round-shaped, and for the past 30 years or so a "standard" coil has been 8", 9", 9½", 10" and 11", if round, or be elliptical with the longest dimension at about 11". Bigger coils have to deal with more ground signal, more multiple-target signals, and naturally more electro-mechanical interference.

My first home-built Metal / Mineral Locators had me wind about an 8" diameter coil. The first factory-produced detector I started working with in the summer of '68 had a 6" diameter coil. Since that time, most detectors I used had a smaller-than-stock coil mounted. Through the '70s and '80's most measured 7"-7¼" and some smaller. From about '90 to 2005 they were 6", 6½" or 7" with occasionally use of the 4½" diameter on a few models.. The past 15 years to the present have been ±5", 6½ or 6½". I have two models at-the-ready with what I consider a "mid-size" coil mounted, and that's a 5X8 DD on a V-540 and 5X9½ DD on a CoRe. I also consider a round 7" coil to be in the "mid-sized' category. For hitting open pastureland, plowed fields or a wide-open grassy park with a 'standard' or larger-size coil, I have two west-to-go. A V-540 w/9X12 DD and Simplex + w/11" DD.

So, for me, site selection and detector & search coil picks are what keep me out of EMI trouble.

Monte

While in noise cancel you can manually select using the plus or minus button. Single frequency is a great last alternative, just scan thru then to find a quite one. The power company is transmitting frequencies for meter reading purposes and that can reek havoc this sensitive machine and others as well.
HH Jeff
Jeff,.. are you saying that with the Nox 600 during noise cancellation, I can manually adjust it..?