Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Encampments

LabradorBob

Staff member
If you find an encampment,can you find any info on the property relating to it,or is it just a coincidence you found it?

Good question… I’d like to know the answer as well.
Supposedly the was a camp very close to where I live and it was passed down by the neighbors that a camp was in the neighborhood… it was described as being on a rise just south of the house which dates back to 1855.
This would be on another piece of property according to the location, but searches there have not turned up signs of a camp.
The house on that property dates back to 1825 and this piece of land is on high ground… a seemingly good place for a camp.
This would have been in March of 1865.

I have found 2 camps that were not known about by local history experts or written about. I always looked for 2 things...Railroad locations that were there during the Civil War, and then plantation locations along these tracks. Camps have always been located behind these homes, in a low-lying area. Just my experiences.

The camp I detect I knew where some of it was. But it is really big. I finally found a civil war letter that talked about training a mile and a half from camp. I have literally found thousands of bullets about a mile away. I found 45 once in a bout a 50 foot square all shot. I have read several civil war letters from this site. I own one.

The camp I detect I knew where some of it was. But it is really big. I finally found a civil war letter that talked about training a mile and a half from camp. I have literally found thousands of bullets about a mile away. I found 45 once in a bout a 50 foot square all shot. I have read several civil war letters from this site. I own one.
What part of Kentucky are you in perryville ?
I'm in London.

I think you can find small camps all over the place that will yield many artifacts. I am sure alot of men did.. and brake off from the main to survive. It was pretty much mass suicide. I have just started to find stuff on my 12.5 acres and my wife's friend has 16 acres on the east side of i95. She even has a cemetery. And showed me her finds with no detector knowledge at all quite impressive. Using an entry level machine. Location is everything. So much to be explored .

I have found 2 camps that were not known about by local history experts or written about. I always looked for 2 things...Railroad locations that were there during the Civil War, and then plantation locations along these tracks. Camps have always been located behind these homes, in a low-lying area. Just my experiences.
This is interesting… I would have thought they would prefer an elevated site for better protection.

I have hunted for 35 years. I have only been on one site that was a "known" site. The relics were there but no one was ever able to get permission from the caretaker. So I decided to go over his head and was able to obtain permission. Our first day there we dug over 100 drops. But we spend most of our time looking for old road beds, water crossings (they always camped on the side of the water they were leaving from), railroad bridges were always guarded, house sites that went back always had some troops there, etc.. Since the advent of the internet, we have been able to get letters or diaries never before seen. Those were often good sources. Look for digital libraries at state historic sites such as archives, university sites and any other local historical sites available. The information they have will usually get your juices flowing. The GIS systems will tell you the owners name which is always helpful in obtaining permission.

Army camping on a hill is visible from afar. Plantations provided officers with quarters and plunder for the troops. Sentries went to high ground for intelligence.
That makes sense, but high ground would also be a good defensive position… that is what I was thinking.

It is as long as long as they don't surround you and starve you out or deprive you of water. Masada was high ground but Rome took it anyway.

It is as long as long as they don't surround you and starve you out or deprive you of water. Masada was high ground but Rome took it anyway.
I agree, but I was referring to high ground as opposed to the surrounding terrain… like a small knoll or ridge.
The camp I am trying to find took place in March of 1865 and from what I researched, it was a wet period..roads were almost impossible to move on, so I would think they would have looked for some higher ground where it was a little less mucky,
The area where I thought it may be is an elevation in a huge pasture with an old house that dates back to 1825.
I also read an article passed down down from the family where the troops camped on the rise just south of the house.
Now I am starting to believe the rise they are referring to is a low ridge about a mile or so away.