Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Epic Seated Dime Cache Dug with EQ800 :thumbup:

Cal_Cobra

I haven't been getting to hunt as much as I'd like to this year as my wife and I had a baby girl in May. She's a doll, but those of you with kids know the drill :surrender:

Anyhow, my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday this month and I told her I wanted to go detecting for a few days at one of our old haunts, and to my amazement she said OK :surprised:

I was planning to go with TomCA, but he wasn't able to make it and I ended up going solo. This is a remote Spanish outpost site that we researched years ago. Tom's less crazy about it then I am, but I like the history around it and it's continued to produce interesting finds. It's a relaxing, beautiful place to detect, that just invokes early western frontier history, and almost every relic or coin you dig is dripping with age and history (for our neck of the woods that is).

Anyhow, I had planned to use my Multi Kruzer with a new 7" concentric coil to work in the iron, but due to a headphone issue, I had to switch over to my Equinox 800. Boy am I glad I did, I made one of my best finds to date! A seated coin cache that I will never forget digging, and not just a seated coin cache, but a coin cache/spill with a hole mystery Was it Indian trade jewelry?

Here's they are in all their glory:

45366828145_7969dca86b_b.jpg

I dug several nice relics, and was able to capture the coin cache dug live:

https://youtu.be/S7t7RGCp3tQ

HH,
Cal

Sweet, with all the half dimes I would have to agree it could be Indian. A friend of mine hunted an Indian reservation out west and found an unordinary amount of seated half dimes.

Gotta go I have a 35 minute video to watch:clapping:
Jeff

Cal,

THAT is OUTSTANDING!!!!

THAT is an example of why so many of us enjoy this hobby so much...the next dig always has a chance of being EPIC, ESPECIALLY if you are hunting the right type of site! I bet Tom likes this site a bit better, now...!!!

I can imagine how you must have felt pulling each of those coins from the ground!

SUPERB!!! CONGRATS!!!

You know, thinking about the "mystery," and if it was Indian trade jewelry, or something, and seeing that each coin has a hole or two in it, I couldn't help but think of this... (NOT suggesting your coins were of the identical use, as in this Native American dress I saw in a museum here in Oklahoma, but maybe a similar type of purpose that the coins were used for?)

dresswithbarbers.jpg

dresswithbarbers-closeup.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS on the AMAZING dig!!

Steve

That's awesome Brian.

When you Gotta Get Away, you do it in style !

Rich

Wow! Great find still looking to find a seated half dime very nice find!

Thanks everyone, and special shout out to Steve for posting the Indian museum photos, I think given the context of this site, that's spot on :thumbup:

Cal_Cobra,

Congrats on the epic holed seated cache! I finally got to watch the video this evening. Back in the '90s when I was hitting the Civil War campsites hard with my ole trusty Fisher (CZ6, then CZ6a, then CZ70 Pro), one thing that I noticed was that whenever I was over a firepit area, the threshold went silent. I usually ran the Ground Balance a little positive but those firepits were always negative on GB. If I reground balanced on the firepit, as I move off, the detector went crazy. I could find where every firepit was at any of the campsites that I had. That being said, that may help to explain why you have hunted that spot with so many detectors and they didn't hit on any of these targets. The GB was mask due to being so far off. The Equinox may either treat the negative soil in the "burned" spot differently than the rest of the detectors that you have used. I have never been able to repeat being able to find the firepits with any of my detectors after the CZs. Just a thought on this end as to why you didn't find this cache spot in previous hunts.

Again, Congrats on a great hunt,
PCJ

TerryinHawaii said:
Cal Cobra, Would it be worth your time to hunt this area with your 15 inch coil?

Hi Terry!

There's a lot of soldered tin cans, and flat rusty tin/iron there, and man does it sound great on the Equinox. I thought about running the 15" coil over the seated dime patch just to see if there were any deeper that maybe the 11" coil missed. I may get a chance to get back there in February, and if so, I'll probably try the 15" coil, at least in that one patch. Other areas I think the 15" coil would have you digging a lot of deep old tin cans, but to be honest, I think all the iron and tin need to be removed from there, I know there's more good finds to be made with effort. Given the history associated with the area, I'm actually surprised we haven't dug a gold coin from this site (yet?).

HH,
Cal

PryorCreekJoe said:
Cal_Cobra,

Congrats on the epic holed seated cache! I finally got to watch the video this evening. Back in the '90s when I was hitting the Civil War campsites hard with my ole trusty Fisher (CZ6, then CZ6a, then CZ70 Pro), one thing that I noticed was that whenever I was over a firepit area, the threshold went silent. I usually ran the Ground Balance a little positive but those firepits were always negative on GB. If I reground balanced on the firepit, as I move off, the detector went crazy. I could find where every firepit was at any of the campsites that I had. That being said, that may help to explain why you have hunted that spot with so many detectors and they didn't hit on any of these targets. The GB was mask due to being so far off. The Equinox may either treat the negative soil in the "burned" spot differently than the rest of the detectors that you have used. I have never been able to repeat being able to find the firepits with any of my detectors after the CZs. Just a thought on this end as to why you didn't find this cache spot in previous hunts.

Again, Congrats on a great hunt,
PCJ

Hi PC,

Thanks for bringing that up, for sure that scorched earth had to have something to do with the other machines not picking up those silver coins. Oddly a couple of them were not deep at all, so it's unbelievable none of the other machines were able to pick up not even one out of 12 coins. Every machine has it's special skill set it brings to the table, and the EQ800 has been no exception. It's not awesome in heavy iron, but it's been great in moderate iron for relic hunting. It LOVES buttons, it also loves some small things I don't care about digging - lol So to do some of my other sensitive detectors (Multi Kruzer and F75 for example). Just part of the program IMO. One great thing about the Equinox is that it's constantly sampling the ground and auto-adjusting the ground balance. I don't even bother to GB because what's the point when it does it on it's own? Noise cancel and off to the races and it's been working great that way for me.

HH,
Cal

5900_XL-1 said:
I would be all over that area that you've already hunted, with the 6" coil. No brainer IMO.

I agree, I just didn't bring it on this trip. I had planned to use the 7" concentric coil on my Multi Kruzer at this site, but due to a headphone issue I couldn't hunt with the Kruzer so used the Equinox, and boy am I glad I did :clapping:

Next trip there I'll likely be using the Equinox with the 6" coil as well as the Kruzer with the 7" and I'll likely even try the 15" in the seated dime patch just to see if it can eek out some deeper coins, never know until you try it.

HH,
Cal

Awesome! We need a ‘like’ button for posts like this!

Congrats on your baby, when she gets older 4+ the magic of
Dad's beeping machine pulling money out of the ground will amaze her a great bond will form. Congrats on the coins too.

Jeff

Jeff Harris said:
Congrats on your baby, when she gets older 4+ the magic of
Dad's beeping machine pulling money out of the ground will amaze her a great bond will form. Congrats on the coins too.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I definitely plan to teach her how to detect, I hope she takes to it. I've tried to get my wife into it, even bought her a decent detector, but she's expecting diamond rings and gold coins to be jumping out of the ground, and when their not (they never are) she's ready to pack it up haha

Wow!! Awesome finds Brian!!

laplander said:
Sweet, with all the half dimes I would have to agree it could be Indian. A friend of mine hunted an Indian reservation out west and found an unordinary amount of seated half dimes.

Gotta go I have a 35 minute video to watch:clapping:
Jeff

When I lived in Bishop, CA. my brother and I tried countless time to hunt on the Reservation but, could never get permission. Matter of fact I sold a machine to a Native lady that wanted to look for a bag of dimes that her grandfather told he had buried behind the house. I told her I would help but, no go.