Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EQ 800.....Help!

Architex

1. About all I have available to hunt are trashy (aluminum) parks.
2. As of this minute I have all of 7 hours on the 800.

With that said, I spent 2.5 hours today at one of my sites (see #1 above). Using park 2, recovery 7, iron bias 2, and multi, every solid 13 was a square tab, every 19or 24 was slaw. Tried other modes on these numbers, other frequencies on these numbers, gnd balancing and not gnd balancing, noise canceling, turning 90 degrees,holding my tongue just right, turning around 3 times, etc. Always the same result. So....am I just S.O.L. on my pitiful sites or is there some kind of magic I'm not yet aware of?

Surely you 50+ hour guys have figured this out. :confused:

I've been in the world of metal detecting for 15 years. My other detectors can mostly get around this problem. Was hoping to thin the herd by buying the Nox.
Thanks for your help though.

Like some hunts and results seem to imply..Gold and Silver is everywhere.. "IT Just Ain't SO "
many , many sites open to detecting just does not have the goodies under the soil..

I remember years ago I took the Great Sov out. Dug 60 targets...57 of those were junk..nails, caps, rusty iron ..you name it I dug it.
3 memorial pennies.. I wondered what was I doing wrong. LOL.. Simply put. I was detecting the wrong site.

Plus expecting good things on every dig .... "BOY" was I wrong.. Most sites have little to find. let's be honest. You go out for 7 hours.Find three silver dimes.
That is a terrible return for your time. Sure it is silver..but three (3) in 7 hours... One better be in this hobby for the fun of the hunt... not the spoils!

Sure we read success posts.... even great posts..but two or three success posts out of literally hundreds of people who are out detecting, and do post here when they have good stuff..... is not stellar is it ??

[size=large]So have fun doing what you love... detecting. Always think the best.... and enjoy it.[/size]

I use settings as you described. On tabs: if the numbers bounce AT ALL from 12 or 13 to say 11 or 14 it's a tab...in my experience. Odd numbers that are out of the "usual" coin coin ranges here in the U.S. like 15, 16, 17 are usually aluminum trash as well. Some odd shaped tabs will come in right at 12/13 and sound good as well...not much we can do about those. In my aluminum infested sites, I'm just resolved to the fact that I'm not digging many ( if any) gold rings and nickels and just focus on the other targets. I just don't have the time to waste on digging aluminum. At those sites I just cherry pick the more "known" tones and numbers. I haven't discovered any neat trick, as of yet, that would help. For me, nickels always come in a VERY solid 13 with an occasional bounce to 12 never above or below and they just sound better...not as "hollow". I wish I had a better solution.

Dean

This is just part of the hobby like you stated you have been doing it 15 yrs . I have been doing it over 25 yrs I just bout the 600 and also on the Deus trust me I still dug trash its the nature of the beast . Anyone who says they dont dig trash targets are full of it . I would suggest to broaden your hunt sites into maybe looking for places where they are rebuilding or maybe old lots ,yes you will still dig trash but the good finds are there just have tp get the coil over them and be patient HH

As you already know, figure out what you are looking for and set the machine up to notify you when your sought after target was under the coil. I hunt demos all the time, and there are at least 3-050 a week in the Houston area. I am looking for coins, silver, nickels, etc., so I set mine up to tell me loud with a high tone, for 1 thru 13 signal, then I set it up for a good medium high tone from 19-13, then a high tone and high volume above that, and I hear what I am looking for.

I run Park 1, sense at about 22-23, iron at 1-2, and recovery at 6. Multi freq. In fact I havent even hunted anything at all in the other modes yet, although I set them up as best I could with the 5 tones, different bins, tones and volumes. I dont hunt parks but a demo with nails, bits of copper, tin, aluminum cans, etc., is a challenge!! You can tell trash from a coin most of the time, but there are many instances where a small piece of copper pipe is going to sound like a penny - 25. Those old spark plug copper washers are always quarters for me, even on the CTX.

So, tune it for what you are looking for and if you are looking for gold, then get some knee pads and at least 2 or 3 shovels and digging tools!

No magic nox pill? Lol. I was beginning to think as you said that I would just tone disc all below 24. But leaving 0 to 13 open hadn't occurred to me. I think I'll try that. (And take along an extra digger

Elton said:
Like some hunts and results seem to imply..Gold and Silver is everywhere.. "IT Just Ain't SO "
many , many sites open to detecting just does not have the goodies under the soil..

I remember years ago I took the Great Sov out. Dug 60 targets...57 of those were junk..nails, caps, rusty iron ..you name it I dug it.
3 memorial pennies.. I wondered what was I doing wrong. LOL.. Simply put. I was detecting the wrong site.

Plus expecting good things on every dig .... "BOY" was I wrong.. Most sites have little to find. let's be honest. You go out for 7 hours.Find three silver dimes.
That is a terrible return for your time. Sure it is silver..but three (3) in 7 hours... One better be in this hobby for the fun of the hunt... not the spoils!

Sure we read success posts.... even great posts..but two or three success posts out of literally hundreds of people who are out detecting, and do post here when they have good stuff..... is not stellar is it ??

So have fun doing what you love... detecting. Always think the best.... and enjoy it.

Awesome Elton. Just as straight up as it gets,without any “this is better than that”. We need more of these types of no-nonsense posts about the reality of what we are up against these days and that it takes a fire in the belly to keep going sometimes. It truly is the journey...

Quote IDXmonster ..... It truly is the journey...

Yes it is. The fun of the hunt with small rewards along the way..