Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EQ detects coil cable

bklein

I noticed that the EQ800 detects its own coil cable.
Is that common in some detectors? I thought the cable is chosen so that this doesn't happen.

This can occur in some 'ultra-sensitive' detector coil situations.
It's due to the EQX coil being so < sideways > [up / down] reactive: it's actually the way of all the FBS coils - an Explorer set up with LONG Sounds etc can react to a spade 2.5 ft away laying flat on sand.

With the NOX coil it's important to set it up by laying the coil backwards up the lower rod and then take at least 6" of cable and make a straight line up the rod and then use the Velcro tape that was supplied to fasten the cable and then begin to make the turns. Use the second Velcro strap on the upper shaft and gently pull the cable to 'taut' and that should help minimise 'falsing'

Another reason to use a nice smooth controlled sweep so that coil and cable are moving as one and never independently of each other. EQ might be more susceptible due to apparent “touchiness”.

Thanks for showing us Des D.

It might also be worth mentioning that we are usually supplied with 2 of those velcro straps

BUT

if one does not notice it , theses 2 strap are stuck together and seem like only one.

Caught me out and until I realised it , I was using another binding product to keep the cable tied to lower rod end as indicated by Des D in the picture showing how he's done it.

David Di

david.di said:
It might also be worth mentioning that we are usually supplied with 2 of those velcro straps

BUT

if one does not notice it , theses 2 strap are stuck together and seem like only one.

David Di

And I was just going to email Minelab, because I thought I only received one (1) Velcro tie, until I read your post. Went to check, and sure enough, I really did have them both. Stuck together, as you stated.

Lots of good info here. Thanks to all.

What happens when the coil moves back & forth does it not pull on the coil plug where the cable goes in to the coil I usually loop the coil then start wrapping?

Yes I noticed this also.... going to put my coil wire into the shaft this weekend. I also had to take my coil cover off because of the black getting into the coil cover causing falsing. I put a couple coats of epoxy on the bottom tryed it out. Works great!!!! I can even run beach 1 in the water at sensitivity 18 or 19 with no issues!!!!

Any trick to getting the coil cover off as I tried and can't get it to come off, I think trapped sand is causing friction and I did not want to break it. Has anyone used clear silicone around the edges to keep sand out? Seems epoxy would make it permanent.

Try running hot water in sink and let coil set in it a min. It should come off with a little pull. I have some coils that they are a headache to get off, but this works every time.

Bingo got the cover off, the key seemed to be running hot water over the edges as it flushed out the sand as I unsnapped it, there was a lot of sand in there. Thanks for the hint.

u2robert said:
What happens when the coil moves back & forth does it not pull on the coil plug where the cable goes in to the coil I usually loop the coil then start wrapping?

As I'm short @ around 5' 6", it works for me to keep the shaft length short as well.
If you're tall, what I showed mightn't work - could cause coil stationary positioning and you would not have the 'up/down/flip/flop' ease of coil movement to take account of any obstacles or rough tufty grass/weeds etc.
IMHO the coil cable could have been up to 7" longer to facilitate 'Tall Man' scenarios.