Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EQ800: Is your NC number consistent?

bklein

I've complained in my comments that my NC is just all over the place - plus 9 one time, minus 9 the next, etc.
No one else mentions it happens to them. Is your number repeatable and if so what are your conditions (urban, beach, open field...)?
Do you do a NC and actually benefit from it? I've never yet had it help anything.

Doesn't matter if I am in the middle of the woods or a suburban park. It can NC at 4 then -2 the next time. I assume that the computer / electronics knows best and I go with it and I believe it does help. This weekend I was at tiny park next to a bunch of houses and all of a sudden the detector started acting erratically like there was interference (possibly wireless networks from the houses? ) I hit the Auto NC and it quieted right up.

I think I've only seen it pick the same number back-to-back a total of 2 times.
Otherwise, it's pretty much a random number generator.

I do think it helps. It's just obviously not the same tech as the CTX.

I know the noise cancel works and makes a difference. EMI is ever changing in most every place I hunt. I've encountered numbers all over the place. I attribute it to the technology and don't ask any questions cause it sure seems to quiet things down when I need to. If your still having problems quieting the Nox down it might be due to too high a sensitivity setting. Noise Cancel + Ground Balance and if the machine is still chatty at a Sensitivity of 20 try lowering it. If that doesn't work call ML.

EMI is the problem and there is nothing consistent about EMI. First responder radios, nearby cell towers,wifi, etc can all be erratic.

Mine is like the redneck retirement program " Power Ball Lottery"

all over the place it is dependent on "Placement" imagine yourself having a invisible ball surrounding you like a bubble.... you be the grounding rod and the antennae. The coil being the Amplifier anyway you point.... it... up..... down sideways north ..south ...east ..west....All Variables..That must be Deferentially removed and made null.....very complex and powerful Algorithm.....imagine a wheel -9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-10123456789 the next spoke on the wheel for 9 is -9 the source code could have been as it is or it could have been tropical fruit with icons does not matter the wheel has a soft spot for your unit to transmit and receive data and it will move and change in the world we live in WITH interacting Magnetic Flux...Sun ....moon... Galaxy.....plane flying by nuclear sub offshore search rescue and more especially Black holes and solar flares......I would suggest always run a little chatter and i mean just enough to keep it interesting...that being a personal tolerance each person can only stand varying degrees of RAW Data......This machine puts out transcendental amounts of Raw data out at a blistering Pace.....I recommend you noise cancel 30 min. or more as needed. AS you ramp up to the information feed.....you may be able to process more and run more sensitivity..and i would not say that it is all about depth cause it has depth at low numbers.....hell i will go ahead and say it the unit is trying to tell you the composition of the alloys.....it is an advanced language....and like riding a bike you may need to start out slow..with training wheels until you learn small phrases and your mind begins to understand what the machine is telling you. any way you must make sure you noise cancel each mode you use while in use ground balance or auto each and know when Less is More.....the journey continues...
still got more to get my head around "But this aint your regular Chew"
And The Equinox will stay a tool in my arsenal and that is Not an easy feat by no means......My caution would be careful what you ask for to many people whining and the update could be a dumming down .....fred flintsone instead of the jetsons
Happy Trails
jimpugh

I can stand and never take a step and get different readings......... worse than taking your blood pressure. But i do wonder what shifts it may make in the freq/algorithms being in the plus or minus range? But im a sheep...... just do what the manual says and go about my business lol.

Noise by its nature is inconsistent, so doesn't seem too out of line that it would not receive the same NC number each time. A software change that gives a multi-second analysis per number might help but then your noise cancel may take 60+ seconds to cycle through with maybe a benefit, maybe not. I am guessing the engineers checked this out during development and decided what we got is fine the majority of the time. Is it Causing you a real problem with performance?

Many years ago, I looked at the Noise Cancel shift probability on the E Trac.
Over hours and days in different locations on an average of 10 cycles in succession it landed on different channel numbers 8 from 10 times and 'might' select the 'same' channel 2 from 10 times.
I observed a similar pattern with Equinox during the multiple times I instigated noise cancel selections at various test sites free of and including pylons, cables and wires of various uses.

Des...... but with the ET those channels could really affect the freqs up or down the scale. Its been awhile........ but if im correct channel 1 seemed to be in the 3 khz range and channel 11 was a might higher khz. That selection could affect depth. Oddly Des....... rarely do i detect a lot of EMI holding the coil in the air. I guess i dont have an understanding of the difference between a negative digit NC and one more positive.

Barry we all see this inconsistency with noise canceling but like Brian said are noticing any loss of performance, probably not. Performance loss would be difficult to quantify in terms of depth and separation. Noise cancel is a function to help your detector run smooth in your environment, That is where the performance is.
Jim I never had training wheels, just climbed on a fire hydrant slid over on my over sized bike and headed down a big hill, I didn't make to the bottom. But I did pick myself up, pushed it back up the hill and made it the second time. I agree this is the "big" bike get on it and enjoy the ride JMO.
Laplander

I ran a test yesterday with my CTX running nearby and it was posting a fairly consistant “9” on multiple NC’s. I will post a video later of this. The TX signal does differ according to what the NC number is - I can hear that on the CTX. So I am a bit surprised at the machine posting a random number if the EMI is very low. Guess we’d have to try it in an EMI test chamber... :)

The Eqx is extremely sensitive to EMI-much more than the CTX! I’ve been to a few places where noise cancel just got the machine to a ‘workable’ state along with reducing sensitivity. WIFI signals seem to be the worst. I’ve now adopted the same tactics I do in the desert when using sensitive gold machines-phone goes in airplane mode and when chatter starts up, wait till whatever it is stops and then continue detecting. The last time I hunted an old site in town I had off and on issues with noise that almost couldn’t be eliminated and it was odd to see those NC numbers all over the place. We just have so much emi around us at all times!