Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EQ800 or Etrac ?

mrcolin2u

I'm thinking of getting a used Etrac but wondered if its better to wait until the EQ 800's are out ? Don't know if they will perform as good as the etrac but they certainly are lighter which is a big plus to me !

Just too early to give you an answer. A good quality used E-Trac for a good price is a great deal. Just cant say how it could compare though. I do know that the weight and balance of the E-Trac really kill a lot of users arms. I couldnt swing mine more than a couple hours without a harness.

Jason in Enid said:
Just too early to give you an answer. A good quality used E-Trac for a good price is a great deal. Just cant say how it could compare though. I do know that the weight and balance of the E-Trac really kill a lot of users arms. I couldnt swing mine more than a couple hours without a harness.

Thanks! The weight is definitely a concern with the Etrac but I think a harness would probably work fine for me . The EQ800 looks like it a winner from what I've seen .

I agree with you and Jason, etrac weight has to be dealt with....but the performance is outstanding right?
Who wouldnt love to see the sov/excal or explorers/etracs/3030 in a 2.5lb package.....even without any performance upgrades?

I just don't get the whole E-TRAC " weight complaints" thing. If you haven't yet swung an E-TRAC... please do it for yourself before making a decision based on what people say about it being "heavy" or "unbalanced". IMO (and others), the E-Trac is NOT some arm killing beast. I'm pushing 60 years of age and have no issues swinging the E-TRAC all day ( no bungee or harness) with the stock coil. What kind of shape are these guys in? Don't blame the detector for the operator being in poor condition!

As to your original question...I would wait to see what the Nox has to offer. It won't be long now. Then make your decision based on real user info (not speculation) from both units.

Dean

As stated,nobody really knows for sure what the performance of the Equinox is/will be like. I can vouch for the FBS/FBS2 as being all they're cracked up to be,and more. Speaking as an "old deep coin hunter", not much else will do it as reliably as the e-series or CTX. So much has to do with operator experience and site choice...too many variables,but overall the current machines pack a big punch.
Much of the weight issue also has to do with how often you are digging targets,and this may be an overlooked factor when considering weight. I search a few sites where they are very low volume but incredibly high return...the targets are ALL good,IF you can find them. It may be an HOUR between targets,and for those places I use the harness,regardless of machine.
I have no problem with the Explorer2 or CTX as far as weight goes,IF I'm digging targets regularly.

I have used the Etrac for years. I am 69 years old and can hunt for 4 or 5 hours with no trouble. I'd hunt longer but the old knees just can't take all that kneeling any more. All I do is shorten the shaft which keeps the coil closer to the body and weight is no problem.

The etrac ia almost 5lbs. And it feels like a lead pipe. Theres no balance point. Im on my third one, performance is its strong point, not its weight.
Great your a strong guy or dont beach hunt where you swing it for long periods of time without signals, but as evidenced by comments, its a chore to swing. I also swing an xterra, a t2 and an x5. Those 3 are lighter, better balanced.
Good for you this isnt an issue for you.
I [quote=dbado1]
I just don't get the whole E-TRAC " weight complaints" thing. If you haven't yet swung an E-TRAC... please do it for yourself before making a decision based on what people say about it being "heavy" or "unbalanced". IMO (and others), the E-Trac is NOT some arm killing beast. I'm pushing 60 years of age and have no issues swinging the E-TRAC all day ( no bungee or harness) with the stock coil. What kind of shape are these guys in? Don't blame the detector for the operator being in poor condition!

As to your original question...I would wait to see what the Nox has to offer. It won't be long now. Then make your decision based on real user info (not speculation) from both units.

Dean[/quote]

I'm in my 60's. It is heavier than I like I can still swing it for a few hours. I'm taking therapy for degenerative disc disease in my neck which is causing problems in my left arm and shoulder. I'm right handed but swing with the left.. I have to swap back and forth from left to right then back now. I don't get to detect as much as I want to now. Years ago I used to swing an SD2200.. that thing was a beast to swing..

dbado1 said:

Dean

Hey Dean,

I agree that one should swing a detector and get a feel for it in their own hands BEFORE they dismiss it. Especially the E-trac as it is a great detector. But people do have physical limitations. Whether those limitations are due to injury or one ignoring their physical heath, they are still limitations.

All can seem good with the world UNTIL you get an injury of some kind and get to deal with limitations. It's easy to call out the world as a bunch of wimps when you have the health to do it. As they say, shit happens. Be grateful you can swing any detector you please. There may come a day when you can't and you will see the world in a different light.

Best of luck out there,

Rich (Utah)

Hey Rich,
Don't I know it! I've been a Chiropractor for 26 years now. I've seen it all. I can appreciate the physical problems/limitations associated with injury. I have had my own injuries to over come as well. The biggest problem I see in my practice is patients refusing to exercise or take responsibility for their own health and physical well being. I set a good example for my patients and family and keep myself very fit. I eat very healthy and I exercise six days a week. Trust me when I say that when my alarm goes off at 5:00 AM and I have to force myself out of a warm bed to exercise ( cross fit, gym, walk, hike) that I can think of a million things that I'd rather do....like stay in bed! BUT! I know that if I want to detect, hunt ,ski effectively that I HAVE to do it. It's difficult to be sympathetic when I see people (hundreds/month)refuse to take care of themselves and then blame their condition (make excuses) on other things....as if obesity, diabetes, poor conditioning, etc just jumped out from around a corner and afflicted them.

To put blame on a piece of equipment (5lbs)and bash it for being too heavy when, in many cases, it's the poor condition (not to include injuries) of the operator, and his refusal to do anything about it, is like saying the pencil mis-spelled the word. Perhaps, I'm being overly critical due to my daily professional experience but, in many cases, I would bet it isn't the machine that's the problem.

Dean

dbado1 said:
Hey Rich,
Don't I know it! I've been a Chiropractor for 26 years now. I've seen it all. I can appreciate the physical problems/limitations associated with injury. I have had my own injuries to over come as well. The biggest problem I see in my practice is patients refusing to exercise or take responsibility for their own health and physical well being. I set a good example for my patients and family and keep myself very fit. I eat very healthy and I exercise six days a week. Trust me when I say that when my alarm goes off at 5:00 AM and I have to force myself out of a warm bed to exercise ( cross fit, gym, walk, hike) that I can think of a million things that I'd rather do....like stay in bed! BUT! I know that if I want to detect, hunt ,ski effectively that I HAVE to do it. It's difficult to be sympathetic when I see people (hundreds/month)refuse to take care of themselves and then blame their condition (make excuses) on other things....as if obesity, diabetes, poor conditioning, etc just jumped out from around a corner and afflicted them.

To put blame on a piece of equipment (5lbs)and bash it for being too heavy when, in many cases, it's the poor condition (not to include injuries) of the operator, and his refusal to do anything about it, is like saying the pencil mis-spelled the word. Perhaps, I'm being overly critical due to my daily professional experience but, in many cases, I would bet it isn't the machine that's the problem.

Dean

I weigh 140, I'm 58 yrs old and can swing an Etrac or CTX 6-8 hours without stopping for lunch. The only issue I have is a sore neck from looking at the ground for hours at a time :)

Just to add to this...

I'm 47 years old, in good physical shape. I run 4-5 miles every other day, and I do a little weight lifting on the off days. I have always been an athlete, and still maintain an athletic build (6'2" tall, 185 pounds).

My problem is, swinging the Explorers will at times result in me fighting occasional bouts of tendonitis/tennis elbow. It's not that the machines are "too heavy" per se; obviously, if I work out doing curls with 45 pound dumbbells, in one sense that means that a 5-pound machine is not "heavy" as in "can't lift it/swing it." However, by "heavy," I think what many folks mean is that somehow, the weight, balance, angle of the handle -- whatever it is -- causes issues for some. It is just a very not-ergonomic machine. I used to hunt right-handed. Developed tennis elbow so bad from swinging the Explorer multiple hours a day, a couple of times per week, that I switched to swinging lefty. For several years now, I have hunted left-handed, but recently have been fighting through tennis elbow in the left elbow; I almost went back to right-handed, but the elbow seems to be improving now, after 6 to 9 months of irritating pain when swinging the machine.

SO, it's more than being "out of shape." There is something about these machines that for some, no matter how good of "shape" you are in, these things cause those "repetitive motion" type injuries in the elbow joint.

Steve

Common sense guy's.

If you're used to swinging a 3 lb detector then the E-Trac is going to be heavy. If you're used to a 6 lb detector then you'll notice little difference. DUH!

I'm 61 and can swing the E-Trac for several hours, but will feel it later, but then I've been swinging one for 8 years. When I was swinging the Deus the E-Trac felt like a lead pipe.

Point is the E-Trac is heavy. I've also been a guitar player for over 50 years so my arm is probably in better shape than most my age. I can still over due it if I swing the E-Trac for 4-5 hours. I will hurt for a day or so.

As far as the E-Trac or EQ800 I agree it's too early to tell. I love my E-Trac and I don't see the options on the EQ800 that give me the features I love about the E-Trac. Mainly being more accurate target ID at greater depth than any other detector I've tried. If it can't at least match that then I'll just stick with my E-Trac.

Thats going to depend on what you are looking to do with the machine. IF you never intend on getting in the water or using it rarely at the beach maybe an ET is the best option. The EQ clearly has a beach purpose and will be a good all around machine with it being water proof to include satl water. I believe you will give up some depth for dirt hunting..... there is always trade offs. I dont think the ET uses the same freqs/set freqs that an ET does. Best option is 5-15khz looks like....... thats close to a DFX and i can tell you they arent as deep as an ET..... but are pretty sensitive.

Dean..... im sure you know your business, but most people that hunt with me know im in pretty good shape. For me its more about how long you spend out there, sweep speed and not using something to balance and remove at least some of the weight. I used to swing a DFX...... got tennis elbow pretty bad. Switched to an Explorer and it went away simply because i couldnt swing it quite as fast. Then went to the CTX......had neck issues. Ive also had achilles issue from digging a lot of targets. All these were detecting related and anyone can get them from if you swing a detector to many hours.

best thing about the etrac is the etrac wobble gotta love a near 2 k detector that wobbles like a drunken sailor minelab make good insides :lmfao:

AJ

Southwind said:
Common sense guy's.

If you're used to swinging a 3 lb detector then the E-Trac is going to be heavy. If you're used to a 6 lb detector then you'll notice little difference. DUH!

I'm 61 and can swing the E-Trac for several hours, but will feel it later, but then I've been swinging one for 8 years. When I was swinging the Deus the E-Trac felt like a lead pipe.

Point is the E-Trac is heavy. I've also been a guitar player for over 50 years so my arm is probably in better shape than most my age. I can still over due it if I swing the E-Trac for 4-5 hours. I will hurt for a day or so.

As far as the E-Trac or EQ800 I agree it's too early to tell. I love my E-Trac and I don't see the options on the EQ800 that give me the features I love about the E-Trac. Mainly being more accurate target ID at greater depth than any other detector I've tried. If it can't at least match that then I'll just stick with my E-Trac.

Im 61 also. I can remenber back when the Sov had just come out and the box was mounted in front of the grip. Then someone got the idea about moving the box aft and wow what a much easier detector to swing. Balance makes a difference for sure.
When the explorer first came out I got one and no matter how you held it, there was no balanced point to give it a lighter feel. All you could do was keep the coil close....and beach hunting you like that coil out a bit for maximum ground coverage......
Besides my etrac I have an X5, xterra 705 and T2.
I am glad to see minelab lightning up their machines...

I love my E-trac except for the weight. However, I am looking foward to swinging something new like the 800. I do not own the CTX so I skipped on detector. The 800 seems to have a lot of the features on the front buttons like the e-trac. might make my learning curve less.

Hey kids! I'm 77 and detect with no problems. My secret is the bike. Many of my permissions are 8 or more miles from home. If 8 miles, I ride my bike to and from. If more than 8, I drive to a parking place 8 miles from the site and bike the rest of the way. This cuts into my detecting time but keeps my body, knees, arms, and core fit enough to keep detecting with no complaints. Like the doc said, it takes commitment but in the end, you'll be glad you did it. Remember, stairs and hills are your friends. Stay away from elevators, take stairs two at a time, and search out the route on the bike that has the most hills. You'll be surprised how quickly those hills flatten out as you get in better condition.
Happy hunting!

My preliminary suggestion is to wait and see what real-world testing results come out within the first few months of the Equinox's release. Luckily, the winter is not a time when many of us here in 'Merica are out and about tearing up the ground. Plus, it gives you an opportunity to try to find a great deal on a used E-Trac- if any such thing exists - so you can have BOTH machines in your tool kit.

If you really really really need a new machine NOW, then buy the E-Trac because it has a tested-and-true track record. The variety of accessories and coils are great too.