Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EQ800 Weights and Shaft Measurements

Charles (Upstate NY)

Total EQ800 Weight 46.4 oz, 1,315 grams, 2.899 lbs

Control Box, handle 14.5 oz, 409 grams
Arm Cup w/screw 3.6 oz, 102 grams
Coil 17.6 oz, 500 grams
Upper shaft 3.2 oz, 90 grams
Middle shaft 3.7 oz, 106 grams
Lower rod with nylon bolt and rubber washers 3.8 oz, 108 grams

Upper/Middle shaft OD .875 inches
Middle shaft small end OD .780 to .782 inches
Lower rod OD near the snap pin .768 to .770

Note: See the difference between the lower rod OD and the middle shaft small end OD, the cam lock does not tighten on my lower rod, at full lock the lower rod is still loose and twists back and forth against the snap pin likely due to the smaller diameter of the lower rod.

How much weight can you save with an aftermarket carbon fiber shaft vs the factory 2 piece aluminum shaft? 4 oz minus the weight of a cam or pinch lock and the plastic plug for the top of the tube. The factory upper and middle shaft is 34.75 inches long. Rock West Composites sells a .875 OD x .785 ID carbon fiber tube, .047 wall thickness. 34.75 inches of it weighs about 2.8 oz vs 6.9 oz for the factory aluminum upper and middle shaft.

I'm ordering some of this stainless .004 inch x 3/4 inch wide shim tape to tighten up the cam locks. https://www.mcmaster.com/#1143n24/=1du75ss

You don't want to reduce any weight in the upper half of the assembly. If anything, you need to ADD weight under the arm cuff. If you are having problems with it being front-heavy, the first thing to do is shorten your shafts. the coil should be in front of your feet, not stretched out 2 feet in front of you. If you still want to run with a long shaft, you have to increase the counter-balance to the coil.

Detector weights can only be reduced so far, and unless you want a submersible coil that floats like a buoy the coils wont get any lighter. Further reducing weight in the back will only make the front feel even heavier

Why Charles......... make um fix it..... it has a warranty and if it dont work...... well hey there ML. I have no idea what repairs will be after the fact..... so if there is a problem while under warranty getter fixed is my plan. It not like insurance...... its not going up if you file a claim.

Ahem, lets say the Anderson carbon fiber shaft for the Excalibur is the same diameter ID/OD as the Equinox. Then buy one, move the Equinox control panel and handle back near the arm cuff onto the sidecar shaft, that would about perfectly balance the Equinox. :thumbup:

sidecar.jpg

That's what the fising rod manufacturers call swing weight. Even though the Nox is sub three lbs., because the weight in total is not evenly distributed it feels heavier.

NSC on another forum made a counter weight for his diy shaft. A short piece of 20mm OD pvc then a piece of C/F tube filled with lead to be used with the big coil later. So i have a back up power supply thats about the size of a roll of quarters but too big around for the C/F but may make a reducer. small end 20mm large end for the next size pvc, anyway a little counter weight makes a big difference and not really noticeable.