Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox 600+6"coil or Equinox 800?

Tab Hunter

I hunt coins and relics in parks, old home sites and freshwater beaches. I'm debating whether to get a 600 and a 6" coil or will that detector perform well enough with a stock coil in these often trashy areas that the smaller coil is not a huge advantage? If the small coil is not that big an advantage, I'd spend the extra $250 on an 800.

I have the 800 and the 6" coil. My preference would be the 800 over the 600 & 6". The standard coil really does an outstanding job of pulling round targets out of the trash. Even in pretty trashy sites like old home sites or city lots, I find myself almost always using the standard coil. The 6" coil for me is used for final cleanup of a site after using the standard coil and super trashy ghost town type sites.

Like Tom said, the stock coil handles trash really well.
If your a serious coin or relic hunter then the more advanced controls of the 800 will be important.
Especially the Recovery Speed.
The wireless package of the 800 is a big deal to me too.
The choice seems so easy unless money, or lack of is truly a factor..

Bryan

Thanks for the feedback, fellas. After having broken my shoulder, my Etrac is too heavy to swing for any length of time.

TH the 6 onch coil DOES make a difference in the feel of the detector. In contrast to the previous posts I think the 600 is very good and if you never had the extra features you won't miss them that much. If you can find a way I would get the 800 (I did) & the 6, but the smaller coil really improves the felt weight a lot.

If I had a chose I would go with the 600+6" coil with your type of hunting which I also hunt. small coils are a must.

Well from the reviews....... there doesnt seem to be a great loss of depth with the 6" coil, in fact its pretty impressive. The larger coil takes in a LOT of material/soil to process. A smaller coil normally allows you to run higher sensitivity with less EMI and will pick thru trashy areas easier. You will have to be a patience man thou ..... thats a small coil so there isnt a lot of coverage. Sometimes you can get the same affect by reducing the sensitivity on the larger coil. There are of course arguments for both machines.