Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox 800 and tone break.

Beyonder

(Other machines have adjustable tone breaks like the Racer 2, and the Impact, this article will be addressing the Equinox).

The Minelab Equinox 800 has an adjustable tone break. Basically, for those who do not know, you can adjust the break point between certain target identification(TID) numbers. So for example, you can use a multi-tone(2 tone for example) and adjust the change in tone at say a nickel TID. Now everything BELOW a nickel will have one tone, and above the nickel will have another tone. Some may begin to see the advantages already, however, for those that may want to go deeper with this, here are parts of a great article from Tom Dankowski titled "When ADJUSTABLE Iron Discrimination is Paramount":

"Metal detectors that discriminate 'iron'......the ENTIRE range of iron......(sometimes called 'notch' discrimination).......are NOT the type of units that qualify .....and should not be utilized.....in nail-infested relic hunting applications High Resolution Iron Discrimination........where you can adjust HOW MUCH iron is to be discriminated......is of extreme importance"

An important statement basically saying that, to get the most out of a site, you want better control of iron discrimination. Better control with-in the iron range. Low and sometimes medium range conductors in certain conditions, can dip into the near upper limit in the iron zone.

For example; The TID on the Equinox for iron is -9 to 0. In certain conditions, a $1 gold coin may read as a 0 or even a -2.

So how would the adjustable tone break help us in that situation? Easy. Just adjust the tone break to -2. Now everything above -2 would give an high tone allowing you to hear possible good target in the upper iron range!

With that in mind know that iron could go above 0, and just because you air test a target lets say a one dollar gold piece and it reads -2 it might read lower in the ground because of mineralization or proximity to other targets.
Just my 2 cents worth
laplander

laplander said:
With that in mind know that iron could go above 0, and just because you air test a target lets say a one dollar gold piece and it reads -2 it might read lower in the ground because of mineralization or proximity to other targets.
Just my 2 cents worth
laplander

Can you show iron going above the zero point? I have never heard nor seen that. I do know that "iron wrap around" can occur but that would show like a high silver coin. Iron can "false" as well. I was speaking about a TID in ground, not in an air test.

I am following your thought "in the ground" did your example of -2 for a gold coin come from in the ground or an air test? I was assuming an air test to arrive at that number with that in mind it could very well be different "in the ground"
The soil I hunt in here baffle lots of other detectorist, I have seen rusty iron read low, medium and high tone "in the ground"
There won't be any videos soon as the temps here are a bit unhospitable!
I can't wait to see how the Equinox handles our mineralized soils and rusty nail infested sites.
laplander

Beyonder said:
Can you show iron going above the zero point? I have never heard nor seen that. I do know that "iron wrap around" can occur but that would show like a high silver coin. Iron can "false" as well. I was speaking about a TID in ground, not in an air test.

Hi Beyonder,

I think there is a serviceable example on the Minelab website in the Question / Answer section of Understanding Your X-Terra, By Randy Horton.

It deals with the characteristics of iron, and ferrous / non-ferrous materials / targets. There is some interesting reading beginning on page 76 thru page 82. There is a diagram on page 81 that shows the relationships in Time Delay (phase) of mineralized ground, ferrous targets, and non-ferrous targets. The Ferrous targets do overlap into the positive phase angles and an annotation to the side reads: PLEASE NOTE: these phase angles actually overlap but have been simplified for ease of understanding. There is some interesting discussion on the Circular Discrimination Theory and additional discussion & demonstration of Ferrous targets and Gold targets overlapping up into the conductive region of the scale.

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/43350/Understanding%20your%20X-TERRA%20Letter%20size.pdf

HH

Rich -