Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox 800 "Burped"

flysar

After the last water hunt of four over the last month I discovered my external speaker wasn't working as it should. It sounded as if it was partially waterlogged but it had been at least 10 days since it had been in the water. Contacted Minelab, got a RMA, and shipped it off. They sent me return tracking within hours of it arriving at Detector Center, PA. My 800 arrived with paperwork stating they "burped" the detector by removing the battery to to relieve some pressure. They mentioned, when I called, that they've had to do that to a few detectors. Seems odd but for now the speaker is fine.

Their technology and features are on the money but their build quality really needs work. Imo

Did thy mention how often one should "burp" their Equinox? :confused:

I asked about altitude changes of 3000' and they mentioned a one-way valve that is suppose to equalize pressure. One way doesn't make sense because it might equalize when you climb but what about the descent? I'm not an engineer & the speaker works now.

Stuff like this always pops up AFTER I buy the detector. Makes me wonder what'll be next? I guess it's best to just laugh it off, and keep on swinging. :lol:

By the way, I do understand that it was either negative or positive pressure inside of the box that affected the speaker, and as long as the speaker can take it, it's really no big deal. I just like to complain once in awhile, cuz I'm getting old.

Their warranty is good throw it back in the water and run it until it dies and then get another one for free...

So, it’s a three year machine - use as many as you need for three years - like Kleenex - and when the warranty is gone - buy something else. Not unusual in our current “tease it and toss it” world - and they work fine - when they work.

I know I’m exaggerating, but there do seem to be ever more failure modes for this device - burps! Are you kidding me?

Wondering what the difference is between the NOX and other Minelab detectors that are waterproof .

Flystar How deep did you go. There wouldn’t be much of a pressure change just under the surface.

Doug

jayhop said:
Their technology and features are on the money but their build quality really needs work. Imo
Absolutely correct mine just stopped working I could not get it to turn it on! I baby mine never dropped it sent it in had a new head unit in 6 days!
No explanation on what the problem was?
Mark

Minelab used a politically correct term, "Burped", for the pressure adjustment of the Nox 800.
In reality, the adjustment was more like a FART! And, yes, it is a one-way value.

I want to know what's up with the skinny coil cable. I opened the box to introduce myself to my new detector, and was taken aback by how thin the coil's cable is! To say that I was shocked would be an understatement. I checked to make sure that it's actually a Minelab coil, and it says on it that it is. Instead of a cable, I might have to start calling it a coil wire. I wonder how long it will be before the coil wire fails? Anyone out there having coil wire problems, yet? Could my detector be one of those Chinese copies that I keep hearing about?

They can’t tell you what causes the problem - you can’t disassemble the thing without destroying it.

LawrencetheMDer said:
Minelab used a politically correct term, "Burped", for the pressure adjustment of the Nox 800.
In reality, the adjustment was more like a FART! And, yes, it is a one-way value.

:lol: What I have to add to that just doesn’t belong here....

Just checked my new warranty replacement machine and it is doing the same thing...

calabash digger said:
Just checked my new warranty replacement machine and it is doing the same thing...

Farting or burping??

Mine is going back. Going to put the money towards purchasing an Excalibur.

Just curious. How deep was you going in the water.