Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox 800 inbound!

Best of luck with your 800 Charles, I'll keep an eye out for your future posts. Interested to know your thoughts.

Rich -

I got my 800 , and have not touched my MXT or MX Sport....just use the 800 now...might sell them.

Do much of a write up on your feelings of the Deus VS explorer series? I saw you posting on the Deus forum for awhile.

I just dug my F-75 out of a closet after five years or so. I'm hoping to let my brother use it to clean scrap from his yard, basically he's a non-techy and needs a beep and dig. If I remember correctly that thing loved steel bottle caps. Total non-issue with Explorer series detectors.

I'm still swinging my original XS over the CTX or the F-75. Not a fan of the ferrous 12 line on the CTX, Minelab threw out the baby with the bath water on that one.

I've said this before; the CTX in target trace can give a visual indication of a good target mixed in with bad regardless of coil orientation: Seems like a no brainer to be able to generate an audio signal from this. I'm wondering if this is what the Equinox is doing?

Curious to hear your findings

Chris

Chris(SoCenWI) said:
Do much of a write up on your feelings of the Deus VS explorer series? I saw you posting on the Deus forum for awhile.

I just dug my F-75 out of a closet after five years or so. I'm hoping to let my brother use it to clean scrap from his yard, basically he's a non-techy and needs a beep and dig. If I remember correctly that thing loved steel bottle caps. Total non-issue with Explorer series detectors.

I'm still swinging my original XS over the CTX or the F-75. Not a fan of the ferrous 12 line on the CTX, Minelab threw out the baby with the bath water on that one.

I've said this before; the CTX in target trace can give a visual indication of a good target mixed in with bad regardless of coil orientation: Seems like a no brainer to be able to generate an audio signal from this. I'm wondering if this is what the Equinox is doing?

Curious to hear your findings

Chris

Relic hunting aside, I consider the Deus a specialty detector I use only when FORED to use it by site conditions. Its target ID accuracy is pitiful compared to the Se Pro and falls on its face at depths where target ID is still quite accurate on an Se Pro. Its ability to deal with rusty bottle caps is also pretty lame. But in particularly nasty mineralized soil it crushes the Se Pro, where the Se Pro can't even get a signal you can get a solid hit on the Deus. Target ID accuracy is still horrible but at least it gets a signal vs no signal at all on the Se Pro. So use the right detector for the given site conditions.

The Ferrous 12 line flub on the eTrac and CTX was a huge step backwards imo. I can only guess ML was trying to dumb the machine down for the masses but that eliminated a lot of target information I found quite useful, I so hated this change that's why I stuck with the Se Pro.

The CTX target trace feature I think made it easier for new users to get into co-located target hunting and I love features that reduce the frustration for new users. Also many of the easy single targets have been dug long ago. The good targets that are left will be the more difficult targets that have been passed over and many of those will be co-located targets. Masked by iron or trash above, below, or nearby. I can't recall a single silver half dollar I have dug that wasn't being masked by a co-located trash or iron target. BUT has target trace become a crutch? I think that's the risk of this feature. Tones are king and subtle clues can be found in the tones feeding you information on target size, thickness, shape, type of metal, even target orientation for example a coin tipped at an angle shooting its signal off sideways. There is tone information to be gleaned on co-located targets as well.

Your mentioned target trace can give you a visual of a good target mixed with bad targets regardless of coil orientation, and I'm sure that's true for some maybe even many. But I have dug many an old coin even coin spills where coil orientation was absolutely crucial. Turn the coil a bit left, right, move forward a couple inches the poof the good target vanishes or it latches onto the nearby iron or trash target so hard no hint of the good target remains. These are more extreme co-located targets of course and more rare. I supposed why not ignore them, they are time consuming to hunt for. On some sites they may not be worth the time and effort. But if a site has given up some exceptional finds and is no longer producing those sites might be worth a slower more detailed hunt at odd angles, taking half a coil steps forward, etc.

The EQ 800 we'll see. I'm very spoiled by Se Pro tones and Se Pro cursor behaviors on the screen. I'll be giving up the screen info the Se Pro gives me on the EQ 800, but if the tones are as good or better than the Se Pro tones it should be a winner for how I hunt.

laplander said:
HH Charles!! 2 totally different machines :starwars: May the force be with you :detecting:
Laplander

The head to head challenge will be on small gold and coins/rings on edge my holy grail targets e.g. targets the Se Pro can't even detect. Deus HF coil vs EQ 800 we'll see who is king.

Charles...You are one of the reasons I stuck with the SE. I am looking forward to your findings with the Equinox. Good luck!!

Charles (Upstate NY) said:
I'll be doing a head to head comparison with my Deus for starters.
I have both Deus and Equinox 800 and my Deus in my opinion is hands down
My favorite and with the HF elliptical coil in 80KHZ is insane on gold reason why
I just bought one the elliptical coil..

I have the Deus round HF coil hitting on very small gold, but I need a machine that can handle wet salt water beaches

dg2.jpg

Charles (Upstate NY) said:
I have the Deus round HF coil hitting on very small gold, but I need a machine that can handle wet salt water beaches

http://www.coolidgeamps.com/pics/dg2.jpg
It’s great on saltwater beaches but I dug a ton of aluminum!!!
Small pieces that are deeep!