Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox 800 vs ctx 3030

Representing our most significant coin & treasure introduction since the launch of the CTX 3030 in 2012, Minelab is pleased to announce the pending release of our new EQUINOX Series Metal Detectors.

The EQUINOX Series is the all-terrain multi-purpose detector that obsoletes all single frequency VLF detectors. Equally adaptable for all target types and ground conditions… just select your detecting location and go!

The EQUINOX Series has been designed for the serious coin & treasure enthusiast looking to upgrade to a high performance detector, without the high cost. It’s also suitable for the new detectorist, having several pre-set modes for different detecting locations. The EQUINOX Series features Minelab’s STATE-OF-THE ART Multi-IQ simultaneous multi-frequency technology and combines fast recovery speed with low-latency wireless audio in a lightweight waterproof platform.

3 Detect Modes (Park, Field, Beach)
4 Frequency Options (5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz, Multi)
Wired Bluetooth Headphones Supplied

4 Detect Modes (Park, Field, Beach, Gold)
6 Frequency Options (5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz, 20kHz, 40kHz, Multi)
Bluetooth Headphones and WM 08 Wireless Module Supplied

“EQUINOX, with Multi-IQ, has the potential to obsolete all the traditional VLF detectors that enthusiasts have been using for decades.” –Minelab Electronics Pty Ltd.

Expected retail prices are:

EQUINOX 600 USD 649
EQUINOX 800 USD 899

Minelab destroyed the market for their GPX 5000 PI gold machine by raising the price level from $5k to $7k - bold move, but the African gold market proved them right - and they made a ton of money.

Now they threaten their $3k CTX 3030 with an under $1k machine that likely does everything the CTX does and more - and is way lighter! Bold move. Will this pay off? I suspect so. The Deus is stuck at a high price point and no simultaneous multifreq. The CTX is pretty much a dead end, no singlefreq options, high price, silly heavy mechanical package. ML will likely sell a ton of these new machines in Europe and North America - unless it is flawed in some obvious way - which I tend to doubt it will be.

They had to do this - it is where the state of the art is moving and they were pretty much dead in the hobbiest market except for the 3030 which is steadily burning up goodwill in the US on account of poor reliability and ectremely poor service arrangements.

In europe, XP and the 2nd tier makers - including the Turks are going to take a hit. Here, the US manufacturers will have to fight a new top end machine with unique features.

Good move - can't wait to see it in action.

Here is Brandon Neice's facebook video of the Equinox:

https://m.facebook.com/MinelabMetalDetectors/posts/1777209305652612

Looks like a serious challenger for the Deus and other Euro-speedsters, and may cut into fbs territory at the beach, but not so sure that it will compete with the Etrac/CTX in the ID dept.

Interesting..... wonder which freqs it combines for beach......and how many? I assume BOTH can use wired phones or the more expense one can only go so deep in the water. So.... wheres the battery..... inside? If so, wonder how long its good for? Guess their statement could be right........ if its got some depth and sensitivity to it.

Dew

TIME will always tell if something works or if it doesn't. I won't believe that the Equinox will compete with the FBS/FBS2 until it has been proven in the field with real world results. NOT air testing and "planted scenarios"....this machine has to go to really difficult hunted out pounded sites and produce more good finds,in considerable volume. If it doesn't then it's not looking like much has changed,the e-series and CTX will still be king. TIME with the machine in the hands of skilled users in difficult sites will tell.

Why would Minelab sell a new machine that can equal or better the CTX 3030, unless...... an upgrade to the software for the 3030 is finally coming. We could only hope..

As good as the Equinox looks it still is not a CTX equal.

Think of it as the VX3 to the V3i. A lower featured cheaper version.

Just put my name down for one at the main dealer, here in the UK. Just hope their out before a lot of my permissions are under seed.

Southwind said:
As good as the Equinox looks it still is not a CTX equal.

Think of it as the VX3 to the V3i. A lower featured cheaper version.

Yeah, perhaps less features, but a featherweight, and that reactivity setting interests me. Did they mention GPSS? Not that I use it.

I see myself getting one. Had the CTX since it first came out so, it would be nice to try out something new. I do need a spare detector since I am well out of warranty on my CTX

I was surprised to hear Brandon say it was his go to machine now.

I still say if you own a 3030 or Etrac and a XP Deus you have most everything covered. I know that is all I need to get the job done. I hope Minelab proves me wrong but it will take a lot to do that.

I never bought a 3030 due to the weight and price. This unit interests me. I wonder if they will eventually come out with a high end model in this series with target trace ,at some point?
If this series had target trace, what features would the 3030 have over this machine?

Some may like the lighter weight, wireless feature and possibly less complex operation.

These things need to get shaken out and put to the test with some honest reviews.

A lightweight, wireless, waterproof unit that works very well on wet salt sand is a huge plus for me. My days of going waist deep in the Atlantic ocean are over !

Being able to use a light weight, multi frequency unit in the wet salt sand and not worrying about salt water splashes and then being able to switch to a single, high frequency to hunt dry sand for jewelry or switch to a low frequency to search for old silver coins is at the top of my list. Wireless is just a bonus. Having a few top notch headphones and liking how they sound, I can still deal with using them.

I have to agree no one said what MULTI FREQ is really in the new machine.
I want to see this work in the SALT before I dump my CTX.

littlenugget said:
I dont get it is a 800 dollar machine (Equinox) better than a 2500 machine( ctx 3030)?

Its been so freakin long since Ive posted on this forum;or anyother forum for that matter. But, I still frequent everyday or so.
Yes, Im curious also of the multiple frequencies it will use,but; If I recall correctly or incorrectly did not the ETrac, Explorer only use 3 frequencies although they were advertised as using more than 3. If so I am thinking it will use 3 of the availble frequencies on the Equinox or maybe just two like the Fisher machines??? Anyways, Im up for an education if I am incorrect on the ETrac/Explorers use of frequencies. And maybe it would be nice if you can opt for the frequencies to use.
Curious how quick the response will be in multiple frequencies.
Looks promising and Im sure not the cats meow for everyone,but you have to admit it looks like it took multi purpose machines to a new level.
Wonder how it will handle the ground
Will it have iron volume control??
John