Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox 900 owners

KSDfisher77

To all you Minelab Equinox 900 owners: How do you guys & gals like the new equinox 900? Is it a solid performer? Is there things you dont like & need software updates? I've been thinking about a 900 & just would like some feedback from you equinox 800/900 owners. What's to like over equinox 900 versus the equinox 800? Thanks.

I haven't had mine long enough to know what I don't know, but I like it thus far. Don't think it will be a game changer over the 600/800, but am hoping. The expanded tid scale will take a little getting used to, but used a F 75 for many years and numbers are very similar. Will see what a month with it reveals! HH jim tn

I like the heck out of mine.

I do not know if you used an eq600 or eq800 but, everything I like about the eq900 is what I wanted or thought was missing on the eq600 I owned about 2 or 3 years ago...maybe more.

1. Better made stock control rod set up. It is light, not wobbly and easy to adjust and the grip feels better.
2. The coil ears are thicker. Not that I ever broke one on the eq600 I owned but it is just a much more improved design.
3. The broader tid scale just makes better sense to me.

My number 3 is going to be the love or hate between the 1st generation vs 2nd generation equinox units you will see people complaining about the most.

I happen to like the new red screen back light myself but, my personal friend Rob aka TNRob here on findmall, likes the screen light of the 1 generation units.

Some also complained about a target double beeping like a surface target when the item is actually 2 inches or so deep.

Mine does that too but to me that is no big deal.

Minelab has been one to not keep the same consistent numerical TID system throughout their product line as long as I can remember.

It just makes better sense when a company keeps their ID scale the same throughout the entire product line like whites and first Texas Fisher models, etc.

I use all tones. I got used to that setting a couple of years ago with the xp units.

I cannot comment on any of the other settings between the 1st gen compared to the 2nd generation much because my set up is pretty simple.

Field or park 1, noise cancel, All tones and horse shoe on.
I only adjust sensitivity or recovery speed depending on conditions of the site I am working.

The initial start up is a bit faster when you turn on the eq900 vs the 1st generation equinox units.

Overall, the 3 things I mentioned for myself personally is what I really wanted out of the first eq600 I used.

Last edited:
I haven't had mine long enough to know what I don't know, but I like it thus far. Don't think it will be a game changer over the 600/800, but am hoping. The expanded tid scale will take a little getting used to, but used a F 75 for many years and numbers are very similar. Will see what a month with it reveals! HH jim tn

I do not know if you used an eq600 or eq800 but, everything I like about the eq900 is what I wanted or thought was missing on the eq600 I owned about 2 or 3 years ago...maybe more.

1. Better made stock control rod set up. It is light, not wobbly and easy to adjust and the grip feels better.
2. The coil ears are thicker. Not that I ever broke one on the eq600 I owned but it is just a much more improved design.

My number 3 is going to be the love or hate between the 1st generation vs 2nd generation equinox units you will see people complaining about the most.

I happen to like the new red screen back light myself but, my personal friend Rob aka TNRob here on findmall, likes the screen light of the 1 generation units.

Some also complained about a target double beeping like a surface target when the item is actually 2 inches or so deep.

Minelab has been one to not keep the same consistent numerical TID system throughout their product line as long as I can remember.

It just makes better sense when a company keeps their ID scale the same throughout the entire product line like whites and first Texas Fisher models, etc.

I use all tones. I got used to that setting a couple of years ago with the xp units.

I cannot comment on any of the other settings between the 1st gen compared to the 2nd generation much because my set up is pretty simple.

I only adjust sensitivity or recovery speed depending on conditions of the site I am working.

The initial start up is a bit faster when you turn on the eq900 vs the 1st generation equinox units.

Overall, the 3 things I mentioned for myself personally is what I really wanted out of the first eq600 I used.
Thanks guys I appreciate it. I'm kicking around the idea of owning a minelab equinox 900. The stupid lil Xterra Pro started it all, lmao I blame it. Thanks for your feedback.

Does the detector shaft on the equinox 900 collapse down like that of the new Xterra Pro's? Thanks.
Yes sort of....it is a round carbon fiber shaft. Plus it feels lighter too....not much but you can tell a difference.

Oh your gonna like it if you get an eq900..the numbers bounce on the xterra pro the deeper the item is but with the multi iq on the eq900 the numbers will only vary slightly and hold better.....in single freq the eq900 acts similar as the Xterra pro..the Xterra will become your backup I believe.

Yes sort of....it is a round carbon fiber shaft. Plus it feels lighter too....not much but you can tell a difference.

Oh your gonna like it if you get an eq900..the numbers bounce on the xterra pro the deeper the item is but with the multi iq on the eq900 the numbers will only vary slightly and hold better.....in single freq the eq900 acts similar as the Xterra pro..the Xterra will become your backup I believe.
Well the intentions of the equinox 900 is to take the place of my whites DFX & V3i metal detectors. I'm hoping the 900 will make me happy if I can make it happen. Im real Leary of letting my whites go, but I believe it is time to experience something new. I was debating between the equinox 900 or the Manticore. I've kinda heard the 900 has a bit of a edge, over the Manticore, but they are testing a new flash file for the Manticore. Thanks.

Great write up !!

I have had the 800 for over 3 years now and love it! I have not had the issues other have had with theirs at
all, but will admit, I have no plans to water hunt with it either due to the reported leak issues.
I did replace the shaft a year or so ago with a carbon fiber shaft since I do use it along the surf line at the beach about once a year feeling it would not be as prone
to the effects of salt water like the aluminum shaft would.
A friend recently sent me his newly aquired 900 to use and test while he is recovering from a foot injury.
I hope to do more testing with it, but am still getting familar with the expanded scale.
I have only had it on to coin hunts so far and have also used it a couple times in a small patch of woods that I have been finding civil war bullets.
At this site, I have found bullets with both the 800 and 900.
At an old house site that I have detected quite a few times with the 800 using the stock coil and then the 6" coil, I spent about 3 hours there last week and did not find any additional coins with the 900.
This may not have been a fair test as the ground it very dry here now.
So as far as performance, the verdict is still up in the air for me.
I will say this, I will be very surprised if the 900 impresses me as much as the 800 did.. I started making good finds from day one with that detector and still am.
Buildwise, the 900 is better built and does feel lighter or more balanced.
The expanded scale is great, but I really have no issues with the scale on the 800.
If something was to happen to my 800, I would definitely get the 900, but have no reason to get one as of now.
I think you will be happy with either one in my opinion.
As for the two detectors you mentioned that you are looking to replace, I have not used them, so I have no idea how it will be compared to those.
Good luck in your decision!!

I want to Thank You guys for the write ups on the equinox 900. I'm hoping I will like a equinox 900 if I can acquire one. I personally think the expanded TID#'s on the new minelab is what finally drew me to the minelab brand. Sucks Whites is no longer in business. I recently acquired a new Xterra Pro & really like that detector for a budget detector. It sure performs like a top of the line detector. Now I'm wanting the equinox 900 because of the advanced adjustability. I think the xterra pro needs a iron bias or something like a bottle cap reject setting & the xterra pro then would really shine. Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Well, I'm a little more impressed with my new 900 after this mornings 3 hour hunt. It sniffed out a 43 Merc. in some nasty dirt/gravel (edge of a old house site driveway, and a small braided silver ring while swinging my way back to my vehicle. Lotta iron on the spot and my 600 missed the dime more then once. It didn't sound all that good, though, but enough 82-85 numbers to make me investigate. Anyway, I think you will be pleased with the 900. HH jim tn

For you equinox 900 owners, how is the 900 performing in the iron on say coins/relics. How Does the separation compare from the 800 versus 900. Some claim the separation is better with the 900, but suffered a bit in depth over the 800. Thanks.

For you equinox 900 owners, how is the 900 performing in the iron on say coins/relics. How Does the separation compare from the 800 versus 900. Some claim the separation is better with the 900, but suffered a bit in depth over the 800. Thanks.
I have not spent a great deal of time with the loaner 900 I am using, but as far as depth, where I have been finding Civil War bullets, it seems to be able to go at least as deep as my 800.
One I found was measured at a depth of 8”.
Now this may not seem deep to some, but those that detect in central Virginia I believe will agree that this pretty good.
Matter of fact I took a sample of soil from this site home and did some testing with my 800 and 900, and with that sample and a bullet down 5”, both struggle to pick it up.
I think the reason I can hit them deeper at the site is due to undisturbed ground and possibly a halo around the bullets.
IMG_7942.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure where you are receiving your information but the 900 actually has a slight depth advantage over the 800.
As far as separation, I can state with certainty, the separation abilities are much improved over the 600/800. So much so, in my first trip out, I found over 30 wheaties and 2 IH cents in a playground that I worked the daylights out of with my 800. I contribute the finds to the much improved separation. Depth? I was finding coins just as deep as the 600/800. There were a few that I feel were just out of reach for the 600/800. This was with me running my sensitivity at 27 on the 900.
The 900 isn’t leaps and bounds “better” however it does contain a few attributes that I feel is worth the upgrade.

Not sure where you are receiving your information but the 900 actually has a slight depth advantage over the 800.
As far as separation, I can state with certainty, the separation abilities are much improved over the 600/800. So much so, in my first trip out, I found over 30 wheaties and 2 IH cents in a playground that I worked the daylights out of with my 800. I contribute the finds to the much improved separation. Depth? I was finding coins just as deep as the 600/800. There were a few that I feel were just out of reach for the 600/800. This was with me running my sensitivity at 27 on the 900.
The 900 isn’t leaps and bounds “better” however it does contain a few attributes that I feel is worth the upgrade.
Thanks JimmyCT. I was watching & listening to the youtubers & going off their findings. The equinox 900 will be taking place of my whites DFX & V3i metal detectors. Just trying to get more info on the 900 as it will be my main detector soon. It will be my 1st high end minelab machine. Thanks.

Thanks JimmyCT. I was watching & listening to the youtubers & going off their findings. The equinox 900 will be taking place of my whites DFX & V3i metal detectors. Just trying to get more info on the 900 as it will be my main detector soon. It will be my 1st high end minelab machine. Thanks.
You have to remember there are some that will do anything for attention and to gain viewers. Even if the information is inaccurate. I’m not in that business and never will be. Scan low and slow. You will be rewarded. Good luck to you 👍

How many of you equinox owners use the 10x5 coiltek coil primarily? How is it on depth? Will it see 8" of depth on a clean target? Also do any of you use the 15x12 smart coil? How is it on say dime sized objects? Or is that coil more driven towards silver dollar size targets? Sorry for being a PITA🤣😂🤣 Thanks all feedback is appreciated.

How many of you equinox owners use the 10x5 coiltek coil primarily? How is it on depth? Will it see 8" of depth on a clean target? Also do any of you use the 15x12 smart coil? How is it on say dime sized objects? Or is that coil more driven towards silver dollar size targets? Sorry for being a PITA🤣😂🤣 Thanks all feedback is appreciated.
Save your money on the coiltek coil
I am gonna go ahead and spill my beans on that coil.

Some may give me some feedback on my opinion here but this is the truth on my experience with the coiltek coil

The 10x5 coiltek coil is much more prone to emi on my eq900.

The 6 inch coil that is included with the eq900 is much more stable and ID'S better on deeper targets and seperates better too.

I could not run the coiltek coil with a sensitivity at 20 or above in multi I Q

It starts to calm down in 15, 20 and 40khz single freq to where you can run the sensitivity higher.

Some of the eq800 owners may not suffer from this but I certainly did with it on my eq900.

Stick with the minelab 6 inch coil for high iron infested sites.

I sold it to a fellow on another forum who runs an eq800 that already had the large coiltek coil for the equinox. He thought his large coil was chattery and just thought it was his ground conditions causing it.

The same thing happened to him and he put in an inquiry to coiltek on it and they sent him another coil.

Still waiting on his feedback about it.

I have saw a few others complaining about the same experience that I had here and there around the different forums.

Also I too had a DFX and the V3i.

Your swing time is certainly going to improve and also the eq900 has a much faster recovery rate and also picks targets out much better than those
2 whites units you have too.

Even though the eq900 only has a number for target ID.....it certainly is nice and easy to see.

Plus the menu system of the eq900 is way easier and faster to navigate compared to those whites units......I believe you are gonna love it myself!!

Save your money on the coiltek coil
I am gonna go ahead and spill my beans on that coil.

Some may give me some feedback on my opinion here but this is the truth on my experience with the coiltek coil

The 10x5 coiltek coil is much more prone to emi on my eq900.

The 6 inch coil that is included with the eq900 is much more stable and ID'S better on deeper targets and seperates better too.

I could not run the coiltek coil with a sensitivity at 20 or above in multi I Q

It starts to calm down in 15, 20 and 40khz single freq to where you can run the sensitivity higher.

Some of the eq800 owners may not suffer from this but I certainly did with it on my eq900.

Stick with the minelab 6 inch coil for high iron infested sites.

I sold it to a fellow on another forum who runs an eq800 that already had the large coiltek coil for the equinox. He thought his large coil was chattery and just thought it was his ground conditions causing it.

The same thing happened to him and he put in an inquiry to coiltek on it and they sent him another coil.

Still waiting on his feedback about it.

I have saw a few others complaining about the same experience that I had here and there around the different forums.

Also I too had a DFX and the V3i.

Your swing time is certainly going to improve and also the eq900 has a much faster recovery rate and also picks targets out much better than those
2 whites units you have too.

Even though the eq900 only has a number for target ID.....it certainly is nice and easy to see.

Plus the menu system of the eq900 is way easier and faster to navigate compared to those whites units......I believe you are gonna love it myself!!
Thanks bigtim1973, I appreciate your feedback & time taken to write this up. The equinox 900 is going to help make my mind up on whether or not I want to upgrade to the Manticore or possibly a ctx 4040 when it releases. Idk how many videos I've watched on the 800/900 detectors, but too many probably.🤣😂🤣 A stupid $269 Xterra Pro i bought has caused me to want the equinox 900. Thanks again.