Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox Book

Anyone have Clives or Andys handbook on the Equinox that can make any recommendations which one or both is helpful in understanding the Machine and how to use it more efficiently? Thank you for any advice. Paul

Still working through Clive's. Who is Andy? Thx

I have Clive's all good information. I have found Andy's books to be better for me. Each to his own.

I may lean Andy's way as I did much of my detecting with a Sword Excalibur he used for testing and writing his evaluation.evaluating.

Maybe Santa will bring me a copy of Andy's book on the Equinox. I have his The Treasure Hunter's Handbook, another great book for being 10 years old. A lot of the information presented is applicable to any detector and the search its self.

I have Andy's & all 3 of Clive's on the Equinox. I recommend you get both authors. Both are excellent but different perspectives. Both are extremely knowledgeable & experienced & very successful hunters. I buy everything I can get my hands on that they write which pertains the detector I am using. You can't go wrong! They have definitely had a big impact on my detecting success!

Paul, are you new to Minelab machines?

Have you read Andy’s Explorer/Etrac book?

Tony

Oh yes, I know that name thx

I agree with what goodmore said. Each Equinox update has changed the behavior of the machine and if you have the latest update, the books are behind. There is an old expression that says you will make more money "mining the miners" instead of working the mines. This is something to keep in mind with these books IMO. Nothing wrong with them trying to cash in but from what I have seen, you can get the same info and more for free in forums and YouTube.

Daniel Tn said:
I agree with what goodmore said. Each Equinox update has changed the behavior of the machine and if you have the latest update, the books are behind. There is an old expression that says you will make more money "mining the miners" instead of working the mines. This is something to keep in mind with these books IMO. Nothing wrong with them trying to cash in but from what I have seen, you can get the same info and more for free in forums and YouTube.
You are correct. . But the latest update gives you an added mode F2 without changing the original FE. And yes the Books can’t keep up with the updates , But to have a book that you can go back to over and over and be able to make notes and references in for a quick refresher is in my opinion is priceless.
I’ve watch many YouTube’s and many are from newbies with no experience and are trying to teach others so what one says n a video is almost always different for each of us because the conditions are different for every hunt. So we need to keep an open mind.
Your Friend;
Doug

I ordered Clives latest book about 2 weeks ago and received it a couple of days afterwards. I am reading it word for word. It contains great information! Do yourself a favor and get a copy. Is it perfect for today. Yes! Will it be perfect for next year? Yes! I have been metal detecting for 40 plus years and I am still learning. You can't put a value on knowledge. Take his teachings and grow from it. Yes, you can learn from the forums but why limit yourself? I have quite a collection of metal detection books because I go back to them and refresh myself at times. Charles Garrett and others inspire me even today.

So you don't think we should use books and forums to learn as much as we can about using a new detector?

Love Clive's books (and Andy's for that matter). I have this on order and I am looking forward to adding it to my library!
Thanks, Clive! Merry Christmas!

Daniel TN said:

Great comments. Particularly the “mining the miners” reference, which is why (several years ago) I offered my X-Terra book FREE on Minelab’s website. Books and forum discussions can be beneficial to some. But nothing can replace actually using the detector and learning from your own experiences. HH. Randy

BigTony said:
Paul, are you new to Minelab machines?

Have you read Andy’s Explorer/Etrac book?

Tony
The guy is an expert on Minelabs IMO. I've killed it with my Etrac over the years, and studying his book helped a bunch.

PS: "Bill S" is Dang good too.....And of course Clive

Have read Andy's books on the CTX 3030 and Equinox. In fact, have read each book 3-4 times. I have notes, target ID numbers and settings written all over both books. Dog-eared. Would highly recommend either of Andy's books on CTX or Equinox. These are not "Intro books for beginners" but are of value to even us old farts, and I've been detecting since the 70s. It's when you think you know everything is when you know nothing! Read the book or perhaps I should say books! I'm going to order Clive's book now...

Happy Hunting

I understand. I also thought that the Explorer book was very helpful, with programs and how to’s.

Best of luck then.

I have both and they sometimes cover different items about the Equinox. If I had to do over, I would still buy both books.

Just one or two new things you may learn in either book will help you becoming more effective with your Equinox, so therefore worth buying both books.

maxxkatt said:
I have both and they sometimes cover different items about the Equinox. If I had to do over, I would still buy both books.

Just one or two new things you may learn in either book will help you becoming more effective with your Equinox, so therefore worth buying both books.

Curious. What 2 things can you say that you gained from one or both books, about the Equiinox, which you missed from on-line reading?