Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox coil problem

Hello

i tried my new replacement coil today because i broke the ears on the old one. Anyway after about 3 hours detecting on a field i had a lot of static noise come through the headphones for about 5 mins then it stopped, i carried on detecting and suspected a problem after getting no signals for a while, tried it on a large copper coin and it wouldn't pick it up. then tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and doing a FP to no avail.

Found my mate on the field who uses a Equinox and he confirmed the coil was not working, he plugged his coil in and it worked OK. I borrowed his large coil so i could carrying on detecting for the rest of the.day.

Anyway tried my coil again in the evening at home and it's working again. anybody got any idea what the problem is thanks?

i tried my new replacement coil today because i broke the ears on the old one. Anyway after about 3 hours detecting on a field i had a lot of static noise come through the headphones for about 5 mins then it stopped, i carried on detecting and suspected a problem after getting no signals for a while, tried it on a large copper coin and it wouldn't pick it up. then tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and doing a FP to no avail.

Found my mate on the field who uses a Equinox and he confirmed the coil was not working, he plugged his coil in and it worked OK. I borrowed his large coil so i could carrying on detecting for the rest of the.day.

Anyway tried my coil again in the evening at home and it's working again. anybody got any idea what the problem is thanks?
That is kind of strange, and I'm sure you checked the connections, but if your new coil is working at home, then try it out in your backyard for a little bit and if it still works, then I guess you're good to go. But if it happens a second time I would immediately return it. I assume you did a factory reset when you installed the new coil..?

Only did a factory pre-set in the field when it went wrong. , NEW UPDATE: I have left the detector on in the house with the coil attached after about 40 mins the detector starting chirping ang going nuts ibut still picks up a coin with all the background noise, will have to try it again ,maybe when the coil warms up it causes a problem, Will try again in a field away from EMI and bring a back-up detector .The detector is over 3 years old now but the coil is new(first time used) so i not sure of the circumstance on the warranty .If they won't replace it i will ask for my old one back because at least it worked and i can use a adapter with it.

Last edited:
Only did a factory pre-set in the field when it went wrong. , NEW UPDATE: I have left the detector on in the house with the coil attached after about 40 mins the detector starting chirping ang going nuts ibut still picks up a coin with all the background noise, will have to try it again ,maybe when the coil warms up it causes a problem, Will try again in a field away from EMI and bring a back-up detector .The detector is over 3 years old now but the coil is new(first time used) so i not sure of the circumstance on the warranty .If they won't replace it i will ask for my old one back because at least it worked and i can use a adapter with it.
I would definitely call minelab but they told me that once the 3 years was up that the warranty on the replacement coil was done.

Possibly not be the coil, but the cable.
While you removed the coil the flexing of the cable may have resolved the issue though not permanent and when you installed it back on the detector, the bad spot is not effecting it.
Just a guess… if it acts up again, trying flexing the cable slightly to see if makes a difference.
I saw a video where a guy stated his detector would sometimes read a quarter as 30 which is normal and other times it would give a lower reading… flexing the cable indicated there is a problem in the wiring somewhere.

Thanks for the replies, i will be back out in a few weeks and let you know if the problem has resolved itself.

Update: Went out for 6 hours and it worked fine, not sure what happened last time, fingers crossed it will continue to be OK.