Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox complete carbon-fiber shaft prototype...

sgoss66

Hi, all!

Parts arrived today for one of the two prototype Equinox complete shafts I've been planning to build, and I just finished assembly. I am VERY pleased with the quality of the parts -- especially the clamping cam lock, which was a large portion of the focus for the design. I have done a small amount of testing/evaluation of this prototype, and I am happy to say that the strength/security of the clamp is impressive, and at this point in my testing, definitely seems to meet the design intent. Overall, I see nothing about the shaft that needs to be changed/tweaked at this point. I plan to build the second prototype when parts arrive for it on Tuesday, and then will do more testing and evaluation of both shafts. At this point, I'm very pleased with how the project has turned out!

Here are a few pictures...

Thanks!

Steve

[attachment 363295 fullshafttop-50.jpg]

[attachment 363296 camlockandcoil2-50.jpg]

[attachment 363297 camlocktop-50.jpg]

[attachment 363298 camlockopen-50.jpg]

[attachment 363299 camlockleft-50.jpg]

[attachment 363300 camlockright-50.jpg]

Looks very interesting Steve! Let me know it you want it tested on my frozen tundra, I would be gad to give it a good bangin around :clapping:
Jeff

Nice Steve
think they may even help me find more silver?! I got out today nailed a few silvers..

Hey Steve,

I'm going on Christmas vacation to Southern California. I could field test that baby in the surf if you want me to. LOL I think my wife will let me detect a couple of times on the beach if I am good. She sure doesn't seem to mind after I found that honker last year. That proto looks great. I am anxious to hear how it and the one from next weeks parts works out. Let us know what the weight difference is and the balance point compared to stock. I know that you are working on a counter balance system to keep it ergonomically correct no mater what coil or length of rod you use. That will be a really good selling point to those who detect a lot or have compromised joint/shoulder/arm/knee issues.

PCJ

Nice work, looks promising. The first thing I noticed when I unpacked my 600 was how cheesy the shaft is

Joe -- not a bad idea! Perhaps you should swing by my place on the way to SoCal! A few miles detour off I-40, and I'll hand it off to you! ;)

I'll post some info on the weight, soon, as compared to the stock middle and upper rods. And I'll get the balance on it figured out, as well. In my testing, I can't describe how GREAT it felt, swinging the Equinox when proper counterweight was added...

Simpsonslammer -- thanks for the kind words! Yes, I have said before that with Minelab working so hard to pack all of the "legendary" Minelab performance, into as inexpensive of a package as they could, I think maybe the shafts were one place they had to "scrimp" a bit, to hit the targeted price point.

Thanks!

Steve

Looks real nice! I especially like the counterweight idea. After climbing ladders and painting houses for 26 years and swinging metal detectors since the early 70's my shoulder joints could use a little help!

okara gold --

Thanks for your kind words!

That's exactly the idea, with the counter-weights. The more comfortable it can be, swinging a detector, the better. Proper balance in a detector makes it VERY comfortable to swing.

Thanks!

Steve

BigTony -- not yet; I have an order of lead pellets arriving Tuesday, and then I will spend some time experimenting, to find the proper weights needed to balance the unit with each of the three different coils, and at several different shaft extension lengths. Once I know the weights that will be needed for several of these different scenarios, I will then assemble some counterweights.

Joe -- I weighed the Minelab stock middle and upper rods, and then I weighed my one-piece shaft (the first prototype; still waiting on parts for the other to arrive). Here are the results...

Minelab's middle and upper rods -- 189g
My "complete" shaft, prototype #1 -- 129g

So, my shaft is roughly 33% lighter than the stock middle/upper rods...

Thanks!

Steve

sgoss66 said:
BigTony -- not yet; I have an order of lead pellets arriving Tuesday, and then I will spend some time experimenting, to find the proper weights needed to balance the unit with each of the three different coils, and at several different shaft extension lengths. Once I know the weights that will be needed for several of these different scenarios, I will then assemble some counterweights.

Joe -- I weighed the Minelab stock middle and upper rods, and then I weighed my one-piece shaft (the first prototype; still waiting on parts for the other to arrive). Here are the results...

Minelab's middle and upper rods -- 189g
My "complete" shaft, prototype #1 -- 129g

So, my shaft is roughly 33% lighter than the stock middle/upper rods...

Thanks!

Steve
They look great Steve cant wait to try one out ..

Well, I received the parts for the second prototype today, and WOW! Another very high-quality, extremely strong/secure cam lock, and very nice tubes...I am EXTREMELY pleased!

Time for some side-by-side testing and evaluation, of the two prototypes!

Steve

camlocktop-50.jpg

camlockopen-50.jpg

camlockright-50.jpg

camlockleft-50.jpg

sgoss66 said:
Jeff --

Sounds good! :)

Thanks for your kind words, and I hope your "frozen tundra" doesn't stay completely frozen all the way until spring... ;)

Steve
Is your second one the same? I am heading to the timber to hunt now that deer season is over, a good leaf cover insulates the ground.

Jeff,

Leaf cover does indeed present that benefit; if there's any unfrozen ground to be found "up north," in the winter, it's often in the woods, as you said. Good luck!

The second one is very similar, but not exactly the same. If you look closely, the two cam locks are slightly different. VERY similar, and nearly identical in function, but slightly different. I am very pleased with both -- both of them are very lightweight, they appear to be quite rugged/heavy-duty, and both do an EXCELLENT job of establishing a very secure connection of the upper and lower shafts. And since the tension of the clamping lever is adjustable via the adjustment screw, security of the connection can be maintained, over time. Finally, the cam lock is designed to be removable, instead of being epoxied into place permanently, so as to permit easy replacement should that ever become necessary.

I'm really pleased with the design!

Steve

sgoss66 said:
Jeff,

Leaf cover does indeed present that benefit; if there's any unfrozen ground to be found "up north," in the winter, it's often in the woods, as you said. Good luck!

The second one is very similar, but not exactly the same. If you look closely, the two cam locks are slightly different. VERY similar, and nearly identical in function, but slightly different. I am very pleased with both -- both of them are very lightweight, they appear to be quite rugged/heavy-duty, and both do an EXCELLENT job of establishing a very secure connection of the upper and lower shafts. And since the tension of the clamping lever is adjustable via the adjustment screw, security of the connection can be maintained, over time. Finally, the cam lock is designed to be removable, instead of being epoxied into place permanently, so as to permit easy replacement should that ever become necessary.

I'm really pleased with the design!

Steve
Steve, I would like to know the thickness and size of the carbon fiber tube, the tradeoff between weight and durability

Jason,

In my experience, the "standard" tube produced by tube suppliers is 2mm wall thickness. Deviation from that is "possible;" the tube suppliers can make your tubes to whatever spec you need. Personally, I stick very close to this 2mm standard at a minimum; my "thinnest" tube I use is 1.75mm thick. I will not go any thinner than that, as my opinion is that you would be trading off durability, for only minimal weight reduction. Meanwhile, other tubes I use are spec'd as thick as 2.6mm. It's based on design requirements, etc. -- but this is the way I do things, for whatever that is worth. I THINK this is what you are asking...

If you have other, specific questions, send me a PM and I'll glad to try and help as best I can!

Thanks,

Steve