Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox Design - Did they get it right?

UtahRich

One of the things that first caught my attention to the Equinox is the Design. I like it. Having swung A LOT of different detectors over the years (ok I confess, decades), there are some that were great for their time and others not so much. I like the look and layout of this one. They've obviously taken some queues from the competition.

Question, does it stay UPRIGHT if (when) you set it down to recover a target?

I am assuming there is NOT an external speaker. Anybody hear anything to the contrary? :blink:

Rich -

The back of the Equinox , shown here in a screen-grab off an online video, being demonstrated at Detectival release , shows what seems to be a provision for an external speaker, through the grill with the holes in it.
In most of the online video demonstrations, any sounds coming from the Equinox seems to be coming from the control head.
So yes, it's most likely going to be an external speaker.
My deductions are made sloley form any info being shown around and online the www.

david di.

Yes it does. The tones are like the Terra's , possible with a bit of Explorers?

Rich, thanks for starting this post and David di. thanks for the screen shot of the rear of the machine. That photo has me wondering about the design and potential weak points for the saltwater hunter. One thing that stands out immediately for me is the headphone connector "does not appear" to be the same as on the CTX. Another machine and now the search will be on for connectors to adapt headphones for water hunting. I have my doubts about the wireless working when submerged.

Next up is the "metallic" looking (4) spots on the magnetic charger port. I sure hope there is a waterproof cover or some insight from Minelab on how to keep those 4 spots from corroding IF they are metal. Nickel plated Neodymium magnets in my scoop don't last long before they totally disintegrate, the nickel flakes off and the Neodymium magnet is just a pressed powder which falls apart. If the 4 spots are connections, corrosion will keep the batteries from charging....if actually magnets, and they disintegrate.......duct tape to hold on the charger cable???

Cliff

Everything right now is pretty much speculation. I haven't seen this much hype about a new detector ever. I think the reason for that is Minelab seems to be promising what a lot of people have wanted for a long time. But no one really knows the specifics. Because of that, while I'm interested in what I've read, I'm going to wait and see how it all pans out. I honestly can't imagine pre-ordering a machine based on ads and hype. Maybe it will turn out well or maybe people will be listing them for half what they paid after using it for 5 minutes. I don't want to be the guy to take that loss. It won't hurt a thing to wait until it's been out and real world usage reports are coming in before plunking down hard earned cash.

I hope it's what all the hype says it is, but then I kind of think even the perfect machine could never live up to that.

GroundHug:

Words of wisdom there. :super: And let's not forget that " new engineer " at First Texas with that PI machine.

GroundHug said:
Everything right now is pretty much speculation. I haven't seen this much hype about a new detector ever. I think the reason for that is Minelab seems to be promising what a lot of people have wanted for a long time. But no one really knows the specifics. Because of that, while I'm interested in what I've read, I'm going to wait and see how it all pans out. I honestly can't imagine pre-ordering a machine based on ads and hype. Maybe it will turn out well or maybe people will be listing them for half what they paid after using it for 5 minutes. I don't want to be the guy to take that loss. It won't hurt a thing to wait until it's been out and real world usage reports are coming in before plunking down hard earned cash.

I hope it's what all the hype says it is, but then I kind of think even the perfect machine could never live up to that.

I have ordered 2 but till i hand over the money the order is not a sale.

nacho:

Just watched a video that states those four spots go in the water just the way you see it. Hope they are non-metallic !!!

\"Carolina\" said:
nacho:

Just watched a video that states those four spots go in the water just the way you see it. Hope they are non-metallic !!!

They will be non Ferrous . Probably Brass or something .

Nuke um:

My guess would be non-metallic such as nylon or plastic. No need for metal as the charge is magnetically accomplished. What's inside them or behind is anybody's guess.

I think only the attachment is magnetic. Hopefully they are gold plated or a very special brass otherwise salt water will eat them up.

Sure looks like SS to me. Cliff you are right on all those points.......ugh if its not a CTX connector. They know we have converted our Xcals to use the CTX connectors so we could use the phones on both machines. Why do they bother with that Xternal speaker.....just collects sand and could leak.

Architect:

I may be wrong, butt I thought they employed IPT for the charging. This is known as wireless charging. One coil induces a current in a second coil which then applies the power to the battery. I don't think those white dots carry current. We shall see in December.

Yes Dew, Cliff is correct and although most say this will be a good beach machine, like you I see many weak points for the salt and sand. I assume the lower speaker holes are for draining, but like you I see sand issues. SS for the headphone connector in salt will require good fresh water flushing and of course they couldn't let us interchange phones with the CTX. More red flags for me.

Us beach guys arent going crazy......... not until we see what Fisher is about to offer. It may well be a PI with disc. Thats a topper for me to about any machine IN the water.

"Carolina" good idea.
I was expecting IPT for charging the XP Deus to make it totally wireless but got "shot to pieces" for even ever suggesting it in another forum.

dewcon4414 said:
Us beach guys arent going crazy......... not until we see what Fisher is about to offer. It may well be a PI with disc. Thats a topper for me to about any machine IN the water.

An iron discriminating PI would be one of those "game changers" we all wait for. I would hope it could be true but I have serious doubts and wont be holding off on future detector buying to wait for it.

We have been hearing about Fisher bringing out a multi freq for ages now , now here it says a PI with Disc? in your dreams i think.
But anyway as for the speaker and other things getting salt or sand , i wash my machines when i get home so salt and sand mean nothing .

that should help keep the water out of the control box.

bugg said:

Its waterproof and has a 3 year warranty.

Is this an actual fact that the Equinox has Minelabs 3 yr. transferable warranty?-----I asked this question to a couple of my dealers & even they didn't know yet.
Nuke em said:
bugg said:

Its waterproof and has a 3 year warranty.