Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox EQX06 six inch coil ?

Always Curious said:
If Minelab doesn't hurry on this, we may see the first 6" coils for the Nox coming from someone else...

Really?

Always Curious said:
If Minelab doesn't hurry on this, we may see the first 6" coils for the Nox coming from someone else...

No, you wont. For the same reason nobody else (besides the authorized coilteks) has produced an aftermarket coil for the CTX. ML has a chip in the coil that either makes it impossible or ridiculously expensive for anyone else to reproduce.

ML figured out long ago that there is just as much $$$ to be made from accessories as from detector sales. If you control the aftermarket, you get that revenue as well. I wish others could produced coils because some companies make great coils at great prices.

YET..... they fail to produce many accessories. Kind of reminds me of GM.... they believed they knew what Americans wanted BIG CARS and they maintained the attitude... you get what we give you..... until one day ... they realized other countries was filling the needs and wants for a smaller car.

dewcon4414 said:
YET..... they fail to produce many accessories. Kind of reminds me of GM.... they believed they knew what Americans wanted BIG CARS and they maintained the attitude... you get what we give you..... until one day ... they realized other countries was filling the needs and wants for a smaller car.

Yeah, its a bit confusing as a buyer. ML has shown accessories it plans to have available, and these are things that should be standard in the box in my opinion. USB charger base, audio cable adapters, car charger... Cheap parts that would ad a negligible cost to the detector, but are a PIA to have purchase separately (not to mention tracking down from other sellers)

Jason in Enid said:

No, you wont. For the same reason nobody else (besides the authorized coilteks) has produced an aftermarket coil for the CTX. ML has a chip in the coil that either makes it impossible or ridiculously expensive for anyone else to reproduce.

ML figured out long ago that there is just as much $$$ to be made from accessories as from detector sales. If you control the aftermarket, you get that revenue as well. I wish others could produced coils because some companies make great coils at great prices.

I agree Jason. That $899 detector will be right up there in cost as other Minelab products once you start adding the 6” coil, headphones and other accessories.

I may have missed it but has anyone seen any videos of the 6" coil in beta testers hands yet? Also, is there a MSRP already for the coil? Really want one, I think it will make trashy park hunting a whole new experience.

Jason in Enid said:

Shouldn't be that hard to reverse engineer a coil even one with a chip; but probably there are patents to overcome. IMO Minelab will be making a mistake if it tries to gouge Nox owners on coils. Easier to do that with a $2500 machine than with a $650 Nox that has to compete against the Kruzer. Coils are one of the reasons I've stayed with the Etrac and not moved to the CTX.

Always Curious said:
Shouldn't be that hard to reverse engineer a coil even one with a chip; but probably there are patents to overcome.

Ive been thinking about this. It could be that reverse engineering the chip could be considered at intellectual property theft and open the new coil maker to massive lawsuits by minelab. Coil designs have been around a long time and most likely considered fair use by now, but a controller chip would be unique and the programming in the chip would absolutely be covered under copyright.

I use such a coil for my X-terra from a company who shall remained nameless or shall incur the wrath of the findmall operators and find it highly effective with great target separation and depth. Much better than any of the current official X-terra coils. It is a shame that ML or Coiltek take so long to bring out coils that we want to use or even not at all. There is not even any official open web elliptical coils for the X-terra. The only official elliptical coil for the X-terra is not even waterproof ffs.

I am starting to love my Equinox 800 and will most likely get the bigger coil whenever it comes out since it suits for what I want to do with my hunts.

The 6"coil is available of you know someone important.. All the frustration I suffered trying to get the 800 and each contact I had failed have now come full circle.. The one come through for me.. 6" is here

This may be a silly question, but with the excellent target separation available with the stock coil, will a smaller coil be as critical as it would be with other detectors?

budster said:
This may be a silly question, but with the excellent target separation available with the stock coil, will a smaller coil be as critical as it would be with other detectors?

Should make the Nox even better at separation/unmasking in many situations where otherwise there would be additional items under the coil.