Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox iron trick?

Hello

some Russian guy can get the same result with another detector where it sees the coins, when the iron is longer than the coil.
Zemleroyk tells in the video that the trick is well known and detectorists should know the nature of it:
If iron target is longer than diameter of a coil used in test, this iron object do not exist for metal detector. Should iron be shorter than coil diameter, it becomes available for metal detector and therefore results could be veeery different :)

Do not be tricked by merchants and their tricks (sorry cant post the video link)

agreed, we just happen to have this rather large long bit of iron we just found laying around :lmfao:

smoke and mirrors good trick though like the makro 3 feet on a coin air test , good party trick :biggrin:

we know this is a metal detector that's all I know for sure...

no getting in to hype because jump in head 1st it usually ends in a busted up head :stars:

let the suckers go over the top 1st and take all the bullets .

There will ALWAYS be a scenario where a machine running ANY settings with ANY coil will miss targets,whether they be pulltabs,coins,relics...what have you. Just because a machine is capable of finding a desired target in one specific circumstance does not necessarily mean it will automatically start producing wherever you go. The most important things to take from the new Minelab machine to ME would be....its water proof,so there are more opportunities to hunt where other machines shouldn't be taken,possibly leading to extra good finds. It's lightweight,so a person can possibly use it for a longer session,thereby increasing their chances of a good find. It is FAST,possibly leading to more good finds for people with less than perfect sweep technique. And it is considered by many to be affordable...many will find the above attributes reason enough to buy the Equinox and to use it to its fullest.
For someone to run right out and claim one though based simply on one specific test may not be the best reason to own one. The best reason to ME to own one is the group of things mentioned above. In no way shape or form do I expect it or ANY detector to be a magic wand. And if it is? Then it will join my small collection of "magic wands" that all do a specific group of things really well.

Yes, I fell for that one too until I saw a post on another forum explaining how it was done. Then I tried it myself with one of my machines and it worked like a charm! Have to admit though, it looks pretty impressive if you didn't know better. So far the Equinox is looking like a really good machine and LOT of detector for the money, but not really seeing anything new yet as far as performance is concerned.

n/t

IDXMonster said:
There will ALWAYS be a scenario where a machine running ANY settings with ANY coil will miss targets,whether they be pulltabs,coins,relics...what have you. Just because a machine is capable of finding a desired target in one specific circumstance does not necessarily mean it will automatically start producing wherever you go. The most important things to take from the new Minelab machine to ME would be....its water proof,so there are more opportunities to hunt where other machines shouldn't be taken,possibly leading to extra good finds. It's lightweight,so a person can possibly use it for a longer session,thereby increasing their chances of a good find. It is FAST,possibly leading to more good finds for people with less than perfect sweep technique. And it is considered by many to be affordable...many will find the above attributes reason enough to buy the Equinox and to use it to its fullest.
For someone to run right out and claim one though based simply on one specific test may not be the best reason to own one. The best reason to ME to own one is the group of things mentioned above. In no way shape or form do I expect it or ANY detector to be a magic wand. And if it is? Then it will join my small collection of "magic wands" that all do a specific group of things really well.

Good post, IDX............my thoughts also! If it performs good with the attributes you list above, then I will be ordering one!

Iowa Dale

Dale(Ia) said:
IDXMonster said:

Good post, IDX............my thoughts also! If it performs good with the attributes you list above, then I will be ordering one!

Iowa Dale

I will be doing so as well.

Except for the fact that, in the video in question, the machine CLEARLY hears the iron. Someone even says in the video "it's getting a bit of a grunt".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yKHpUiHQZc

Unless this is COMPLETELY new technology we have to reconsider how detectors work,at least as far as I understand. The machine transmits a signal and receives the signal,in that time,WE are not in control of anything....except on the very few machines where you can adjust the TX power. So everything WE get to control has to do with post processing...the information is already back to the machine. There isn't a coil made on the face of the planet that can selectively "see" or "not see" what is in the coils field,sensitivity dependent. It's how the machine processes the information that may or may not make it APPEAR as though it can...

IDX, that is a resonable explanation. In the EXP II you can use learn targets and only search for them.
So in effect it's not the coil only seeing certain targets it's how the machine can be set up to only look for certain targets.
Sorry if this is off track of the new machine but I felt this is a close example as to what is being discussed. Then again if not - sorry.

I too had my doubts when I saw that iron-sickle bar thing in the video (that tyberoz linked below). Notice he's not putting the iron ON TOP of a coin. And I wish he'd have turned 90* and repeated the test. So that the coin is in the TAIL of the swing, not parallel to the swing. Bottom line is : Several current machines can mimic that video.

Oh, and when I lament they didn't put the iron on top of the coin, I'll be the first to admit that an iron of that size will probably mask for ANY machine. But I'd like to see a husky standard sized rusty square nail ON TOP of (not "next to") for the test. Then two nails, and so forth.

Also: If Minelab would just create an inline probe (that works like sunray's famous probes) then they can maybe get more people to leave their Etracs, II's, etc..... The lack of in-line probe was what kept a lot of guys from refusing to get a CTX . The CTX afforded improvements (water proof for the beach storms, for instance), but the lack of an inline probe was the deal-breaker. And so too will it be for a bunch on this new one as well.

When you think of it: a sunray inline is really nothing more than a teeennnssy 1" coil, right ? So why oh why oh why can't Minelab make it, add a toggle switch, and presto: a Sunray like probe that pipes through the headphones ? If the rest of the machine is a better mousetrap as touted (performs explorer abilities plus more), then an inline probe on it would be a crowning glory.

Tom_in_CA said:
Also: If Minelab would just create an inline probe (that works like sunray's famous probes) then they can maybe get more people to leave their Etracs, II's, etc..... The lack of in-line probe was what kept a lot of guys from refusing to get a CTX . The CTX afforded improvements (water proof for the beach storms, for instance), but the lack of an inline probe was the deal-breaker. And so too will it be for a bunch on this new one as well.

When you think of it: a sunray inline is really nothing more than a teeennnssy 1" coil, right ? So why oh why oh why can't Minelab make it, add a toggle switch, and presto: a Sunray like probe that pipes through the headphones ? If the rest of the machine is a better mousetrap as touted (performs explorer abilities plus more), then an inline probe on it would be a crowning glory.

I have had two x-1s and sold them both because they simply slowed the process down in many occasions and added additional weight and poorer ergonomics to the mix. Not everyone hunts in heavy iron trash all the time and the ability to disc the different nonferrous signals was just not necessary enough to justify the cost or cumbersomeness. However , I can see the attraction many have to them in their type of hunting and the new ML 35 pinpointer may fill that niche adequately enough to make a real statement in the pinpointer department. Initial price I'm hearing is $129 for a two tone ferrous/nonferrous waterproof pinpointer. ML may be listening after all.:thumbup:

Tom, I don't understand why they and others manufactures don't offer different models?
Just like a car or a truck, you can order different types to suit your individual taste.
So - one detector has GPS and the other has an inline probe. Not a big deal - then when you start getting more orders for X and not Y - you put the other model on hold.

Tony

Yes, but that new whiz bang probe is not piping sound
through the headphones, right? And only has ferrous vs non-ferrous, instead of full TID, (as enjoyed with the sunray), right ? Hence only a slight improvement over the carot or whatever.

The video where the guy comments of the mineralization of the soil and iron content, then digs a foot deep hole and puts a coin in the bottom, but doesn't fill the hole back in...........

........why not fill the hole?

Because it's not realistic to try to detect a buried target at 13 inches. We can hear targets at 13 inches in the field because they've had time to sit in the ground and develop a halo. This is pretty basic metal detecting knowledge. Like Metal Detecting 101. If someone buried a target that deep and didn't hear it, I'd take those results with a grain of salt just as you took this test, which you called "deception". What a bizarre outlook to have, where you think you're being deceived into buying something. Get real.

They dug an open hole and placed a coin in the bottom of it.

They didn't fill the hole.

It's not a reliable test of depth.

THAT'S detecting 101. :drinking:

My comment sailed completely over your head, didn't it? The reason we can hear coins at great depth in real-world conditions is because coins that are that deep have had time to permeate the soil around them and develop a "halo". This amplifies the strength of the target. Often, once the ground is disturbed, the "halo" is broken and the signal gets lost. Digging a hole, putting a coin at the bottom of the hole, and then covering it with dirt would make for UNREALISTIC conditions, given that there was no time for the halo to form. Therefor, for you to call this "deception" without being able to understand that you preferred method is deeply flawed demonstrates your lack of knowledge about these things. Personally, I'm impressed that the machine can ping off a target 13 inches through air while being surrounded by mineralized ground. But if you want to call this "deception" because you're too dense to understand, that's your prerogative.

halo is an xbox game...