Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox not pin pointing underwater

Went water hunting today with my 800. 2nd time out. it works fine on land but for some reason won't properly pin point in the water. I get over a target push pin point & it signals with a high pitch, but then continues to maintain the same pitch after I have moved the coil off the target? has anyone else experienced this? any suggestions. Thanks!

Sometimes it helps to move off the target shut off pinpoint , then reengage it while off to the side and sweep toward target in pinpoint. Engaging pinpoint while right over the target causes it to bug out a little. Give it a try , let us know if that helped . HH

Went water hunting today with my 800. 2nd time out. it works fine on land but for some reason won't properly pin point in the water. I get over a target push pin point & it signals with a high pitch, but then continues to maintain the same pitch after I have moved the coil off the target? has anyone else experienced this? any suggestions. Thanks!

To me the pinpoint function on the Equinox is a failure. It almost registers a broader sound than discrimination does. I pinpoint and recover targets in discrimination mode. Very easy to X your target and remove. It speeds up your retrieval times greatly by not switching modes.

I’ve dug 1000s of targets in water and never tried pinpoint in water...as mentioned above just visualize where target should be and dig..you will miss a few but after a while you will see it’s so much faster and using an 8” helps..many of the targets I retrieve are most likely too small for the pinpoint to see also pinpoint function is likely to get confused by surrounding targets which you are trying to avoid... I most often hunt with the 6” coil so digging with the 8” scoop improves the odds of hitting the target the 1st time... on land in cleaner areas with 6” coil I’ve often nailed the coin on the 1st try with a screwdriver while hunting clad in parks..

Good advise! Gave up on the pinpoint in water. Only been out 3 times with the 800. I’ve got a gigantic scoop & I still miss targets using the 6” coil. Getting better with practice though. Like the nice loud clear signals with my under water Patriot headphones. Much easier to pin point with the box vs my old Excalibur.

Good advise! Gave up on the pinpoint in water. Only been out 3 times with the 800. I’ve got a gigantic scoop & I still miss targets using the 6” coil. Getting better with practice though. Like the nice loud clear signals with my under water Patriot headphones. Much easier to pin point with the box vs my old Excalibur.
As corny as it sounds! Take objects and toss them down and practice pinpointing. Raise the coil like it is a deep target too!
Sometimes ferrous and non-ferrous pinpoint in different areas on the coil! ESP Nails. Even if you mark the "pinpoint" spot on the coil with tape/marker, it will give you a start to better/faster recovery.

as Ronaldj2 said above move off target and then turn on pinpointer.
Their are times that if you turn on pinpointer directly over a target it can actually null out the target simular the way ground balancing dose on mineralized ground. You can move off target and turn off and back on. Or here is an easier way. Just swing your coil near your digger or hand scoop In pinpoint mode then back to the target.
Donut/Doug

other metallic targets under the coil will also mess with pinpointing. these items like nails or bobby pins are excluded in Disc mode, but come back in the pinpoint mode

other metallic targets under the coil will also mess with pinpointing. these items like nails or bobby pins are excluded in Disc mode, but come back in the pinpoint mode
As with Safari, I raise the Nox coil at least a foot or more above the target before going into pp mode...HH

At least for beach hunters. I am a big advocate of not using the "pinpoint" mode on the Equinox. The mode is a big failure in my opinion. Gains can be made in recovery speed, and ease of recovery [by not pressing more buttons] by just staying in Disc Mode or horseshoe mode. Learning to recover in these modes is the way to go. (y)