Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox questions

Neil

I think Im gonna order an Equinox and would like to know what I have to order along with it for wading. The control pod is waterproof from what Ive read but Im confused on the headphone setup. It looks like stock they are wireless, which Ive never used, but I dont think that will work thru water will it? I dont think the headphones are waterproof but what I use now arent waterproof so thats okay. Im only going in about 3 to 5 ft of water.
Thank you
Neil

Hi Neil,
The wireless works fine until the control pod goes underwater...then it loses the signal as the signal wont travel through water
3 ft should be ok but at 5 ft the pod will be submerged ie. too deep for the wireless to work
The standard wireless headphones may be ruined if you get them wet.
You can get waterproof wireless earbuds but be sure to get APTX or Aptx Low Latency is even better.

For deep wading and diving you will need to buy a pair of corded headphones (non wireless) with the correct waterproof plug for the Equinox headphones port.
The yellow Minelab brand ones are available and a couple of other alternatives are out there also.
Perhaps Detectorpro Grey Ghost amphibian for Equinox will come out soon ?
happy hunting

Better get the water proof headphones if your going to submerge the control pod as the wireless signal doesn't travel thru water . Some like them some don't. :shrug: I have personally put in quite a few hours with them and had no issues and good results. My hunts have been fresh water only, not that it makes any difference.

Laplander

The yellow Minelab/Koss ones are OK for wading. The problem is they aren't very loud and do not knock out any surrounding noise. So if you are hunting beside crashing waves, or children laughing, splashing, and playing in the water, you are going to struggle to hear the machine as the noise will over ride it.

At full volume, they peak about 65 Db, and average about 60 Db. An average conversation is approx 60 Db.

If you were to do any diving or underwater stuff, they probably wouldn't be loud enough.

I dont think anyone will question that the ML ones are water proof........ but like was mentioned, low volume, may not respond as well to weak targets, muffs dont keep out much noise, they really arent that comfortable, and over time those slides dont work very well. They are dive phones so they have drain holes which lets the air whisle thru them on windy days and are super sealed...... both affects volume. It might be just as easy to change the plug on the ones you have..... IF they match the machine right now of get a cheap pair off the classifieds and do the plug. Right now most water phones use piezos....... they dont work as well as speakers which most land phones use for the Nox or CTX.

Neil said:
I think Im gonna order an Equinox and would like to know what I have to order along with it for wading. The control pod is waterproof from what Ive read but Im confused on the headphone setup. It looks like stock they are wireless, which Ive never used, but I dont think that will work thru water will it? I dont think the headphones are waterproof but what I use now arent waterproof so thats okay. Im only going in about 3 to 5 ft of water.
Thank you
Neil

As was mentioned above, the wireless phones will work for wading as long as you dont fall, drop them, or get hit by a wave. As for how far out you can get with them, it 2 - 3 foot deep MAX! By the time you are at 3 foot, the control head is at the water line and lapping waves will cause a repeated on/off of audio and you could easily miss a target. PLus, if you get a signal at 3 foot and go to scoop, you cant put the coil down in the hole because you lose audio signal.

Ok. ....thanks to everyone for the responses.
Right now I wade with a tesoro, control pod in a plastic bag, hangs around my neck, I use my sunray gold headphones.
So for using those headphones on an equinox, what do I need to purchase? And where to buy ?
I will be using this near some noisy areas so waterproof phones are not gonna work if the volume is to low....

There are louder waterproof phones people are making with the adapter. There is no adapter that will let u use your phones with out changing the connector that I can think of. Even MLs isnt waterproof where you plug a dirt pair of phones in. Make a pait of buds......if needed use some ear protectors over them.

dewcon4414 said:
There are louder waterproof phones people are making with the adapter. There is no adapter that will let u use your phones with out changing the connector that I can think of. Even MLs isnt waterproof where you plug a dirt pair of phones in. Make a pait of buds......if needed use some ear protectors over them.

Ok thank you and good hunting!