Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox shaft mod to run the cable INSIDE the shaft

Philber

Has anyone seen or heard of a shaft where the cable wire can be run INSIDE of the shaft? I don't care for the exterior wrap around scenario they have now - its more likely to get snagged on occasion when hunting the brush or just pushing the coil under trees and shrubs. It kinda makes coil changes slower as you first have to undo the velcro holding straps and rethread the new cable through them once you put on the new coil (or you have the cable flopping loosely off the shaft). I liked the set up they had on the etrac with threading the cable internally and the pressure clamps to hold the shafts in place - cleaner, less likely to get a damaged cable and way faster than the current set up on the Nox.

Anyone seen anything internal, or have any ideas? Or at least a quicker alternative to those velcro tie down straps to hold the cable tight to the shaft.

As I like to say in the auto biz...”we can fix anything,we have a torch and a welder”....the question is,when you’re done will it really be “better” or just “different”? If I never hunt the woods or brush,it doesn’t matter. If a guy DOES,then it very well might be an improvement. I just don’t think anyone’s gonna hack up their new machine to find out though. Steve Goss might...:)

Wrap the shaft and cable with the same wrap as you would use to wrap a sprained ankle. Many colors and designs out there to include camoflage. The wrap even sticks to itself and can be peeled off easily without any residue left over.

Yes, I remember seeing a neat set up on Minelab Equinox Facebook a few months ago.
I am pretty sure it was Neil Jones who had it....looked great too, a professional looking job a bit like a CTX 3030.
So I would contact Neil as he is nice guy. I think he is a Minelab tester in England.
good luck

When I made my shaft I was going to try this I may still attempt it let you know I almost drilled the hole for it .

IDXMonster said:
As I like to say in the auto biz...”we can fix anything,we have a torch and a welder”....the question is,when you’re done will it really be “better” or just “different”? If I never hunt the woods or brush,it doesn’t matter. If a guy DOES,then it very well might be an improvement. I just don’t think anyone’s gonna hack up their new machine to find out though. Steve Goss might...:)

LOL -- you are right, IDX, I just might! ;)

pmhoover --

This is something I have thought about, quite a bit, in fact. I've thought about it to the degree that I've already checked to see if the threaded, metal portion of the coil cable is small enough to fit inside the shaft (it is).

I almost have the whole concept figured out, in my mind, with the most difficult remaining hurdle being a good way to "retrieve" the cable from inside the shaft. In other words, I could pretty easily design that lower rod piece (that the coil attaches to) to permit the cable to be inserted into the bottom of the lower rod. It would be very similar to the style of lower rod piece used on my CTX 3030 lower rods. So, getting it INSIDE the shaft system is not the issue.

The issue, though, is once you get the cable fished all the way up to near the control box, how would you get it to "exit" the shaft? Simply drilling a hole in the shaft is not a good solution; first off, just having a hole there would not allow the cable to easily exit the shaft, and you couldn't "reach in" to grab it and pull it out. Secondly, a hole large enough to allow the coil cable and metal connector to fit through -- drilled into the carbon-fiber tube itself -- would be so large that I'd worry about it weakening the shaft too substantially, at that location.

The solution I've come up with in my mind, is to "split" the upper shaft into two pieces, with the "break" residing right near the control-box handle. Then, I'd have to design a fitting into which you'd insert the two shaft pieces to "re-attach" them. The REAONS for this fitting, would be that THIS is where I could include the hole for the cable to exit (instead of placing the hole in the shaft itself). Additionally, I could design the fitting with a "guide" inside of it -- which would sort of "direct" the cable up and out of the shaft.

IF you are interested, pmhoover, send me a PM, and we can talk about it. If it is something you feel strongly enough about, and are willing to be patient while we talk it through, I may be willing to design a prototype for you... Assuming it turns out well, and you like it, then it's a win-win, for both of us...

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? Is this something that sounds useful/interesting to others?

Steve

sgoss66, anything similar to this?
I'm using the same shaft setup, a carbon fiber camera mono stand and the slighty modified Explorer/Etrac lower shaft, that I originally made for my CTX-3030;

Cable is very easy to thread through the center and there's a little overhang when extended.

A solid connection piece is needed to join upper shaft to lower shaft. The connection piece I'm using here is by no means the finished product.so it's not a finished version and put together to exemplify what could possibly be done with such a setup.

David Di

David --

Yep, that's the general idea. Looks like it was important enough to you, to have the cable inside the shaft, that you rigged up a pretty nice solution! Nice job!

If there really is a need/desire for this type of "cable in the shaft" setup, I have some work/thoughts that I've had on the back burner, that I need to flesh out and complete... HMM...

Steve

OK, I have been brainstorming and have come up with a couple of drawings of the fittings I would need (the coil end fitting -- the "yoke" or "clevis" that the coil attaches to, where the cable would ENTER the shaft, and the coupler/connector that would be inserted into the upper shaft, just "below" the handle, through which the cable would EXIT the shaft). I think this is very do-able. I will proceed, if folks think this is a good idea.

pmhoover -- I'm looking forward to hearing from you, if you are interested...

Steve

Here's an extremely rough "back of the napkin" sketch of what the shaft would look like, with these two fittings allowing the cable to enter/exit the shaft (the "clevis" or "yoke" piece which the coil attaches to, where the cable would enter the shaft, and the the upper shaft "coupler/connector" piece, where the cable would exit the shaft).

Thoughts?

Steve

[attachment 365240 EQXcableinsideshaft.JPG]

Im assuming there are NO spring clips in the shaft Steve so you would have to have a good lock and enough tube inside matching OD and ID to reduce wiggle? Also...... i guess my question is why? Whats the gain vs the price of another shaft? In the water...... i seriously doubt water displacement would be noticed. For dirt hunting wrapped around the shaft leaves nothing to catch on. So does it come down to looks? You also need to protect the cable ....... just like the CTX where it goes in and out.

Steve,
I like your thought on reinforcing the shaft with a sleeve at the point of exit, might think about doing it out the bottom to avoid dirt etc entering, or just a way to cover up. I personally am not having any issues with the wrapped coil lead. JMO
Jeff

Dewcon --

Yep, there would be no spring clip. The cam lock I'm using is a very stout/secure one, and eliminates the need for the spring button/button holes. No wiggle, no wobble, extremely secure and stiff. SO that part is taken care of. And the "protecting hte cable" part is handled also -- with the protective cable wrap that I use. BUT -- your other question...the "why" part, is what I have wondered also, and it's why I haven't pursued the idea up to this point. I just haven't been sure there'd be enough demand for it. I definitely DO prefer the "cable inside the shaft" style, like the Explorers/E-Trac/CTX, as opposed to wrapping the cable on the outside, but not just not sure it's that important to most folks.

So far, it sounds like you, and Laplander, are both "lukewarm" at best, on the idea. I appreciate that feedback. Anyone else care to chime in?

Steve

I really like the tape idea. Easy on and easy off. If it's real thick brush down here (S.E. Ga.) I simply don't go in it esp. in hot weather. Too easy to not see a rattlesnake.

pmhoover said:
Has anyone seen or heard of a shaft where the cable wire can be run INSIDE of the shaft? I don't care for the exterior wrap around scenario they have now - its more likely to get snagged on occasion when hunting the brush or just pushing the coil under trees and shrubs. It kinda makes coil changes slower as you first have to undo the velcro holding straps and rethread the new cable through them once you put on the new coil (or you have the cable flopping loosely off the shaft). I liked the set up they had on the etrac with threading the cable internally and the pressure clamps to hold the shafts in place - cleaner, less likely to get a damaged cable and way faster than the current set up on the Nox.

Anyone seen anything internal, or have any ideas? Or at least a quicker alternative to those velcro tie down straps to hold the cable tight to the shaft.

NO, I have not seen one. There are issues with having the cable inside the shaft as well. And there are issues with having no cable and being wireless. Choose your poison. :clsoedeyes:

The quickest alternative to the 'nuisance' of having a velcro tie down and the hassle of removing / replacing coils is to get an extra lower shaft for each spare coil. To change, you simple remove the cable connector from the Equinox housing, releasing the lower rod and replace it with the lower rod attached to the coil you wish to use. Reattach the cable connector and you're done. It's what MOST guys do. If you're feeling 'wealthy', have an Equinox for each coil and you can leave each set up the way you want it. :blink:

Rich (Utah)

Rich (Utah) said:

NO, I have not seen one. There are issues with having the cable inside the shaft as well. And there are issues with having no cable and being wireless. Choose your poison. :clsoedeyes:

The quickest alternative to the 'nuisance' of having a velcro tie down and the hassle of removing / replacing coils is to get an extra lower shaft for each spare coil. To change, you simple remove the cable connector from the Equinox housing, releasing the lower rod and replace it with the lower rod attached to the coil you wish to use. Reattach the cable connector and you're done. It's what MOST guys do. If you're feeling 'wealthy', have an Equinox for each coil and you can leave each set up the way you want it. :blink:
That's what I do :poke: NOT
Jeff

Rich (Utah)

Have you ever swung a CTX in the water...... if that cable was the reason the shaft is so huge ..... then id rather had it outside. Steve its not that its a bad idea....... IF you dont already have a better shaft and want to buy one .......then there ya go. But if you already have an after market or just dont want one ......then the expense isnt worth it IMO. The EQs shaft is pretty narrow so it displaces the water well even with the coil tightly wrapper or ran up the side of the lower shaft. Steve i know you must be wonder ....... dang look at all the new shafts coming out. Not sure id want 3 of them thou for each of the coils available either. Hey.... but im poor and practical lol. I did get a look at your shaft Steve when i was over visiting Tom a month or so back picking up another machine. Nice locks.... and ya they seem to work.