Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox shown finding coin, with depth on wet sand.

Rick so it seems but it sure would be special if it could seperate wet salt sand and small gold....

Remember when the sov first came out, I couldnt believe how quiet it ran and deep it went in the wet salt sand...no vlf was close to it......

Rick --

Maybe you are right; I know what you are saying about the salt, and how "cancelling" salt also means cancelling small gold. I know that's the case, and that it's a real challenge, but perhaps I incorrectly assumed that the Equinox will do better, given that better "ground handling" has been the focus of the engineers at Minelab, and that Minelab multi-freq. units don't seem to "ground balance" per se, but that something else is going on there. I presumed that therefore there would be a good chance of improvement on the wet, with respect to small gold, as compared to other units. Maybe I am wrong on that point, though. Maybe it's a technological challenge (being "stable" in the salt wet and yet not being "dead" to tiny gold at the same time) that has not been able to be improved upon, in the Equinox/Multi-IQ.

Obviously, it should do very well overall in the wet (stability-wise), and obviously it should do very well on the micro gold in the dry -- even in Multi-IQ mode. And that was the point I was trying to make -- that while we KNEW that 20 and 40 kHz should do well on the tiny gold, that somewhat surprisingly even in Multi-IQ mode the Equinox seems to do well with the tiny gold, per the early, limited info from testers. That was what I was trying to make the point of. And since Multi-IQ has been designed to handle "bad ground," then if we now see it finding tiny gold, that suggested (to me) potential for success even in the wet on the tiny stuff. BUT -- you are right, we've actually only seen success with Multi-IQ on the tiny stuff in DIRT, not wet salt sand, yet. And so, maybe there will still be limitations on things like small chains, earrings, etc. in the wet. Perhaps I am off, on this point. I guess it would be wise on my part not to speculate on this specific detail, and wait to see if there has been any improvement there, with Multi-IQ.

Thanks --

Steve

Yes, my comments were specifically about small (and especially 10k) gold jewelry in salt water. Existing detectors are blind to these - nearly every one of such objects ever lost is still out there, waiting for new technology to find them.

The salt vs. gold issue is well documented. Minelab makes the best Pulse Induction gold detectors in the world. Because of the existence of salt concentrations in some goldfield soils, their detectors have modes of operation designed to minimize the effects of the salt. These modes are, as far as I know, less sensitive to small nuggets than the “normal” modes.

Rick,

I hear you, and agree. Like I said, I was thinking "if Multi-IQ can find tiny gold, not JUST 20 and 40 kHz, and if Multi-IQ will handle mineralized conditions way better than 20 or 40 kHz single freq. mode, then the Equinox should do well with small gold even on the beach." But, I was likely assuming too much, since "irony" mineralization, and "salt" are two different things. Indeed, to deal with the salt and achieve stability, any past machines have thus struggled with the small stuff.

It will be interesting to see if the Equinox in Multi-IQ can achieve a bit better results, in that specific application (micro-gold in the salt).

Steve