Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EQUINOX Technologies (Part 2)

Jason in Enid said:
Steve, I was just thinking about the learning curve too. When I switched from a White's 6000 proXL to the E-Trac, it was a horrible experience. I wanted to wrap it around a tree the first few times. I felt completely lost. Switching from the E-Trac to the CTX only required that I stop trying to be strict with my silver coin numbers, otherwise it was mostly seamless.

I feel that wont be the case with the EQ. The Multi mode may be similar but the response and display are likely to be very different. Learning how to make all the adjustments on the fly is going to take a while. Flipping back and forth from single to multi, changing freqs, changing reactivity, and other things along with how every change alters target responses. I feel its going to be a lot to take in at first. Hopefully it will be easier than I'm imagining.

Jason, very good points, and you may well be right. There will be a lot of adjustments/frequencies/modes to run in, and with it being a much faster machine, etc., it's likely to feel quite different. HOPEFULLY, the multi mode has some semblance of "feel" of FBS, but even there, it may not. Time will tell. HOPEFULLY, it's not like switching from your White's unit to an E-Trac was for you, or me switching from a Fisher F70 to the SE Pro was, for me.

One last thing, can you elaborate on what you mean by saying the switch from the E-Trac to the CTX was really easy for you "once you stopped trying to be strict with your silver coin numbers?" I was of the understanding that FBS2 (CTX) is even BETTER with ID accuracy, versus FBS1...

I'd like to hear your thoughts here. The ONE reason (besides the biggie -- price) that I did not consider a switch to the CTX was that I felt it might be too much of an adjustment; that I'd be starting from scratch, especially since the tones are (as I heard, anyway) SO MUCH different from the E-Trac/Explorer. So what you are saying here is somewhat surprising...you are saying the switch was NOT very hard, BUT, that what was the hardest adjustment was not the TONES (as I had thought it might be), but the "ID numbers..." This intrigues me, and I'd like to hear more...maybe in a PM? If you PM me, I'll give you my email address, so as to not derail this thread, perhaps?

Steve

\"Carolina\" said:
Steve: Thank you for your response. My take on this is, Minelab said the new detector would OBSOLETE ALL SINGLE FREQUENCY DETECTORS. That is what the Equinox does. You have a option to run multi frequencies ( different frequencies depending on the mode ) or single frequency 20kHz or 40kHz. For me, that is the break through technology.

Carolina

Carolina,

You might be right, that the only reason Minelab said "obsolete single frequency units" is because here is a single frequency unit that CAN ALSO run multi. SO for that reason alone, I could see how it could "obsolete" any single freq. unit that CAN'T run multi also.

It's a good point.

But reading that material that Minelab is releasing, I really, really believe that they have come up with something on the multi-frequency side of things that is an improvement in the multi-freq. arena as well...which has implications with respect to FBS/BBS...

Steve

Very interesting, Wayfarer.

Your experiences with Whites, and how a similar thing happened when the MXT was released, was something I was not aware of. Very interesting, as it seems there's another "actual" case of a situation occurring that we are only speculating about, here.

Very interesting, thanks.

Steve

Wayfarer said:
sgoss66 said:
Carolina,

Just to expound a bit more on my "largely marketing" comment.

I have talked about this here before, regarding Minelab's implication that the Equinox "won't be as sensitive to deep silver" as FBS. I have said that I think those statements may be more "marketing" than what the truth might prove to be. And then, as you and stephenscool were discussing, we also have Minelab's implications that the Equinox will be only "almost as good as FBS and BBS" on wet sand thing. Just like with the "a little less sensitive to silver" caveats Minelab has mentioned, I am simply having a hard time seeing how it's not at least "possible," if not LIKELY, that this, too, is nothing but "marketing"...

The way I see it is, something just doesn't add up here. EITHER you have created a "breakthrough" in the technology that allows you to better deal with ground minerals -- and thus greatly improve target ID, or you haven't. If you HAVEN'T, but are claiming you have, then users are going to find out real quick that you are selling snake oil. (And I don't think this will be the case, with the Equinox). On the OTHER hand, if you really HAVE created this breakthrough technology -- I have to believe that while your engineers were so busy creating this breakthrough so as to "one-up" your competition, it's highly likely that the engineers also, somewhat inadvertently, "one-upped" your OWN product offerings, as well.

Do you REALLY believe that the Equinox is going to be SO GOOD that Minelab draws away customers from XP and Nokta and Garrett and all the others, and yet AT THE SAME TIME, the Equinox's performance will fall short of 15- to 20-year old technology (BBS/FBS)? How can you take multi-frequency technology, IMPROVE upon it (which is what Multi-IQ claims to do), and then end up with WORSE performance than your prior generation of multi-frequency technology? I really think Multi-IQ will either prove to be an IMPROVEMENT, or it will prove NOT to be. But if it IS, then it just doesn't make sense to say it's only an improvement over NON-Minelab machines, but NOT an improvement over Minelab machines. Isn't that essentially what the marketing department is telling us here? They are walking a tightrope, in my opinion, and they know it. They on one hand need to talk about how much of a breakthrough in performance it will be, outperforming all THE OTHER manufacturer's machines, but they also need to find "caveats" so that they don't make it "obvious" to their customer base that it just may outperform THEIR OWN machines...

I think what will most likely be the case, when the dust settles, is one of two things -- EITHER the Equinox is THAT GOOD (in which case FBS and BBS will likely be out-performed as well), or NOT that good. I just don't see a middle ground in there where the Equinox will be a "better performer" than the others, but yet NOT a better performer than FBS/BBS.

Steve

Steve, I get what you are saying, and I think you pretty well summed it up with your "walking a tightrope" analogy. Let me add just a couple thoughts. For one, I don't think Minelab would purposely "dumb down" the Equinox to ensure that it performs worse than the CTX. If they truly have a breakthough technology here with the Equinox, then they would be best served by letting it loose on the market in its full glory, and capture about 75% of the entire detector market in a matter of months, which is what it would do if its better than the CTX at a third of the price. Why protect the sale of maybe 200 CTX at the expense of 50,000 Equinox sales. Produce the best product they can and let the chips fall as they may. Besides, if this technology is breakthrough, then I predict Minelab will soon come out with a machine based on Multi-IQ, or maybe a Multi-IQ/FBS technology, that has *all* the bells and whistles, like a color screen, target trace, all sorts of advanced adjustments, PC-programmable, and so forth. Then they will almost totally capture the high end market as well.

An analogy I can draw, is the White's MXT. When it came out, it was a mid range detector but it actually outperformed their high-end machine at the time, the XLT. Some would say it actually outperformed the subsequent White's high-end machine, the DFX. The MXT was just *that* good. I know, because I owned all those machines at the time. White's touted the adjustability and features of the XLT/DFX, but those of us who actually used them all, knew that the MXT outperformed them in actual field use (most of the time....saltwater beach was one area the DFX did better however). The MXT was so good, that it sold like hotcakes, and in fact is still selling 17 years after its release because it was *that* good. White's must have made a huge bundle off the MXT. I see the Equinox in a similar light. It is a new mid range machine that could very well have better performance than their top end machines, and if so , so be it, Minelab will make a mint selling Equinoxes and far more than make up for any loss in CTX sales.

So that's my two cents. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself that the Equinox will turn out to be all that we hope it will be and be an awesome breakthrough machine. The possibility is certainly there. We'll find out here soon enough. Fingers crossed...

\"Carolina\" said:
Steve: His question was how well does it run on wet saltwater sand with lots of iron and detectors nearby? Minelabs answer was ALMOST as good as FBS and BBS detectors. Not my answer but theirs. Marketing? I don't think so. I think it means exactly what it says.
Detectors of different brands... pi machines, etc. Would be interesting to see the results. Black sand is a different subject.
How will it react to a tdi or an atx being run flat out 30ft away. How will other detectors react to the Equinox ?

If I'm looking at this correctly this is how I see it.. in easy terms to understand.
The frequencies are like a "rainbow". Bbs/fbs are pumping out an almost full spectrum. From 1 end of the visible spectrum(red) to the other end (violet). But 1x1. 1 color at a time. The Equinox has choosen a few "colors" of the rainbow spectrum but instead of going through them 1x1 it's firing 2 or more at the same time.
I will be very interested to see the "equinox2" in a few years time
As fbs/bbs has a wider spectrum ... it technically would hit deep silver harder under certain conditions at 1 end of the spectrum. How often those conditions in real life would be met is not for me to answer

From the diagram I've seen it still looks like the Equinox is a time domain detector like the BBS/FBS.

sgoss66 said:
One last thing, can you elaborate on what you mean by saying the switch from the E-Trac to the CTX was really easy for you "once you stopped trying to be strict with your silver coin numbers?" I was of the understanding that FBS2 (CTX) is even BETTER with ID accuracy, versus FBS1...

I'd like to hear your thoughts here. The ONE reason (besides the biggie -- price) that I did not consider a switch to the CTX was that I felt it might be too much of an adjustment; that I'd be starting from scratch, especially since the tones are (as I heard, anyway) SO MUCH different from the E-Trac/Explorer. So what you are saying here is somewhat surprising...you are saying the switch was NOT very hard, BUT, that what was the hardest adjustment was not the TONES (as I had thought it might be), but the "ID numbers..." This intrigues me, and I'd like to hear more...maybe in a PM? If you PM me, I'll give you my email address, so as to not derail this thread, perhaps?

Steve

Sure thing.
sending a PM

One thought I have had reading all this wonderful discussion. The EQ has some brand new tech in it. New enough for them to change the name possibly start their next line of detectors. The EQ isn't going to have all the "bells and whistles" like the CTX. You can't change tones, or bins, or look at a FE-CO display. This plays right in line with the concept of a mid-range detector. Solid performance, not all the optional toys. Perhaps there will later be an EQ2 in which we do have all the other options. We can make the changes to suit the interface as we like, as well as see both of their Q and I profiles on the screen which is how the FBS display is now. All of us who swing an FBS detector know how powerful of a tool the FE-CO display is, especially with target-trace.

If they make a e-trac like detector with a screen I can see (LOL) I will want one. Just add this freq tech and it will sell like hotcakes. Note: I own a E-trac and also now have an 800 reserved. I have skin in the game. been using the Etrac for 3 years. Found a 1953 Half (first for me) last time out. Gotta love Minelab.

Hopefully they get the EQ close to being right when it is released because minelab refuses to change anything after that......I mean how long have many of us have been trying To get them to change the screen on the Etrac where you can see it .....oh yeah ,if the lighting is just right....they just won't do it...there like sorry that's just the way it is ..TUFF. ...imagine having an Etrac with a screen like the V3i....just dreaming I guess...but it looks like you can see the screen on th EQ.....big start already. :clapping:

As far as the screen goes there may be properties of those particular panels they use which allow for the display to be what it is...I don't know anything about that stuff. I'd rather have the etrac and shitty display that can find silver than another machine with a great display that can't come close. Just defending ML here....there seems to be a lot criticism about things that don't matter that much to me. If the machine isn't a silver hound in tough conditions it doesn't matter what else it has. But I see everyone's point about the subject and it could be better,maybe.
To the point made about the value of the FECO display,it's invaluable. I wish anyone who hasn't had the chance to use an Explorer2 on up could use one exclusively for a year...free of charge...that way they wouldn't be saying it's great cuz they spent the money or say it sucks cuz they expected more....does it do what you want it to with accuracy you've never experienced before? That is the question,and for me the answer is YES,it's been a game changer for me and many others.
If the Equinox has something that works in a similar fashion(being able to SOMEHOW deduce the XY composition) then it'll be easy to love. I would have to think, unless this is indeed being put on the market as a mid-level "jack of all trades" with CO numbers only, that ML knows how the FECO display has changed detecting completely in the 15 or so years it's been around. That's one feature that almost all ML users have come to rely on,and for very good reason...it WORKS.

IDXMonster said:
As far as the screen goes there may be properties of those particular panels they use which allow for the display to be what it is...I don't know anything about that stuff. I'd rather have the etrac and shitty display that can find silver than another machine with a great display that can't come close. Just defending ML here....there seems to be a lot criticism about things that don't matter that much to me. If the machine isn't a silver hound in tough conditions it doesn't matter what else it has. But I see everyone's point about the subject and it could be better,maybe.
To the point made about the value of the FECO display,it's invaluable. I wish anyone who hasn't had the chance to use an Explorer2 on up could use one exclusively for a year...free of charge...that way they wouldn't be saying it's great cuz they spent the money or say it sucks cuz they expected more....does it do what you want it to with accuracy you've never experienced before? That is the question,and for me the answer is YES,it's been a game changer for me and many others.
If the Equinox has something that works in a similar fashion(being able to SOMEHOW deduce the XY composition) then it'll be easy to love. I would have to think, unless this is indeed being put on the market as a mid-level "jack of all trades" with CO numbers only, that ML knows how the FECO display has changed detecting completely in the 15 or so years it's been around. That's one feature that almost all ML users have come to rely on,and for very good reason...it WORKS.

I suppose if minelab can't figure out how to get a detector to find silver as good as the etrac with a good display that's just as good as tech.gets....hopefully someone will...

Ksdirt said:
IDXMonster said:

I suppose if minelab can't figure out how to get a detector to find silver as good as the etrac with a good display that's just as good as tech.gets....hopefully someone will...

Yeah it seems like it would be a no brainer with the display,my Explorer2 stinks but the CTX is much better with the backlight cranked. Do the etracs have a backlight brightness adjustment? If my Explorer2 had an intensity adjustment it would be better...in direct sunlight they both suck! Maybe something like Google glass with an App? "Big Treble" on the forum across the street has a V3i and I must admit THAT display is quite visible,but he doesn't see anything he likes on it very often!:lol:

I could see the V3i screen great but it could not show me targets very deep. LOL :)