Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox updates

aproc123

Anyone else wondering about how or will this thing will actually update via USB? Only 4 pins on detector side of usb plug... I’ve plugged mine into a computer and doesn’t seem to have any communication. Only reason I’ve wondered this is that I’m hoping at some point the pinpoint “quirks” and iron falsing are better addressed. Definitely a learning curve coming from an explorer.

aproc123 said:
Anyone else wondering about how or will this thing will actually update via USB? Only 4 pins on detector side of usb plug... I’ve plugged mine into a computer and doesn’t seem to have any communication. Only reason I’ve wondered this is that I’m hoping at some point the pinpoint “quirks” and iron falsing are better addressed. Definitely a learning curve coming from an explorer.

From page 67 of the manual:

Software Updates
EQUINOX Series detector have the ability to accept software updates via USB and XChange 2 (Windows or Mac OS compatible).
Visit www.minelab.com for up- to-date EQUINOX Software and installation instructions.

There are no software updates at this time when there are you will be able to download the via the minelab exchange.

You won't get any response from your pc because Minelab hasn't set anything up on the exchange for the Equinox yet

aproc123 said:
Anyone else wondering about how or will this thing will actually update via USB? Only 4 pins on detector side of usb plug...

Yes, exactly right...two for power...two for data...standard USB configuration.

Think about this...... we dont even know if the first ones that came out are the same as those now being produced. Would ML tell us or out of the goodness of their heart admit changes were required due to a bug? Not many companies do..... until it becomes obvious. Geez... how long did it take to correct the CTX 0 rings. Most of us fixed that before they finely came around. You dont know what you dont know on new machines...........most people dont even know if their machine is tuned or working correctly ever. Then one day someone tells they..... thats not right it shouldnt be doing that. These forums play a huge part in information sharing that we never had before.

Thanks for the info it’s great detector, last year was going to buy an excal when the info about the equinox was announced. Used it in the gulf and was super happy with how stable it was. Just a bonus it’s a land detector as well!

Dewcon - interesting post.

I’m not in possession of all details, but I think that ML has stuck with the initial issue software/hardware configuration for the life of their detector models, except for the 1 update for the CTX.

This makes some folks happy, they don’t have to worry if they have the “latest and greatest”.

Other companies seem to revise the software and probably hardware as production of a given model goes on. the good news is it it often an improvement - the other news is folks start obsessing about whether they have V 3.2 or V. 4.0, etc.

Most companies, somewhere in their published material state that they reserve the right to update specific items included in the production of a given model as production continues. I know that my Honda Civic had a change in a suspension component during a model year and they had to run my VIN to find out which component my car had.

Huge difference Rick...... no real oversight for MDers. WE have to bring about the changes. Rick..... most people can make a machine work....... or they get tired of dealing with things they dont like and go to another. In the case of that salt setting on the CTX...... if you have one guy saying.... look at the amount of gold im getting and everyone else is scratching their heads....... it leaves the average hunter saying ...... is this right or wrong? It takes some experienced hunters talking to each other to bring about change which hurt sales and these forums really do that. Before we just dealt with it...... because we didnt know. We always get the initial craziness over a good machine....... then it calms down and honesty kicks in..... plus the more machine out there the more people hunt together with them..... that can be an eye opener as well.