Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox with Tony's HPs - Underwater Volume

flysar

How is the underwater volume with Tonys HPs?
Doing a dive search for a ring in 6-8' of water and debating on taking the 800 vs CZ21. I'll have both with me and like the idea of tweaking the settings on the 800.

flysar said:
Doing a dive search for a ring in 6-8' of water and debating on taking the 800 vs CZ21. I'll have both with me and like the idea of tweaking the settings on the 800.
I find them loud enough but louder would be better, haven’t used any others so can’t make any comparison’s.

voyager32 said:
flysar said:
I find them loud enough but louder would be better, haven’t used any others so can’t make any comparison’s.

Thank you.
I know my CZ volume is significantly louder than my CTX with GG HPs so I was hoping the 800/Tony combo was better than my CTX underwater. I'll find out soon enough & report back.

Kind of difficult to determine your depth out there...... so you might be skirting the depth of the Nox. Many time the person who says they lost it right here...... doesnt have a clue and thats where they noticed it gone. This could require you to look even deeper. You didnt say how long ago, type or size, or if you are in fresh water or salt which can have different bottoms. Im guess you also only have the 8" coil on the CZ........ however, it is rated to 250' and can be hip mounted. Since most dive ready phones use piezos,, the way Tony seals his seems to give better volume. GL on the hunt......

Have not dove with the Equinox but the Tonys have great column and fit snug. Have dove many times with the Cz 20 & 21...I easily hear any signal except when I wear my heavy neoprene hood. But agree with Dewcon...I would not chance diving with the Equinox.

Hi out there in Equinox land!

I need help discovering the answer to getting more volume out of my headphones when working with the Equinox 800 underwater.

I have tried the Minelab Koss, the LS Pelso, and Tony's. Tony's are far better than the other ones outside of the water. His sound about the same under the water.

I have not tried the Gray Ghost Amphibian II.

I have been tempted to just go by a whole other detector for underwater only but I love the equinox display and I have had no problems with the detector not working underwater except for the terrible volume issue.

Is there anyone out there that has found a solution to this problem with volume using the Minelab Equinox 800 under the water even a foot under the water you will not be able to hear very well at all!

Please, someone help me!!

Brian Rudolph

I have Tonys and love them on land but diving the Equinox is just not loud enough....Excal way better underwater for sound.....I would love to dive the Nox as it deals with iron so well but volume is lacking.

My experience was the same with the equinox at 7', not enough volume, but my hearing isn't the best. My CZ20 has significantly better volume.
If you find a headset with good volume please let us know.

UPDATE ON EQUINOX 800 AND DIVING WITH HEADPHONES:

I went out to a river and detected under the water completely about a foot under. I used Tony Eisenhower's headphones for the Equinox but there was no difference in sound quality than with LS Pelso. Slightly better than the Koss.

Tony's are perfect for the Equinox above water. Meaning, you can have your shaft and coil in the water and as long as the headphones are above the water, you've got the best ones on the market against wind and other sounds like from the waves. Hands down his are the best.

I have contacted over 15 metal detectorists who do diving on a regular basis throughout the world and who use the Equinox. Out of those 15, seven of them have used the detector to dive under the water in shallow and up to 10 ft. Those seven people used the Equinox with Tony's headphones and tried all of the other headphones except the Amphibian 2. All of the headphones have failed to be heard under the water. they had exactly the same experience that I did. I talked to divers that dive every day. In Hawaii, Mexico, Australia, Florida etc. They use the Excalibur 2 as their main tool. but because they liked the Equinox so much, they wanted to use it in the shallow under the water but they can't hear anything just like me.

One well-known detectorists who has a video channel shows himself diving 8 feet under the water with the equinox and using the Amphibian 2 headphones and he said that he can hear okay. He did change his tone settings to 20. That did not help me any using Tony's headphones.

One detectorists said that because of the digital signal coming through the Equinox, it does not allow headphones to give out the necessary output as opposed to the Excalibur 2 which he believes gives out an analog signal. You all could tell me if that's correct or not. But regardless, it appears that everyone is pretty much happy with the Excalibur 2 audio signal output even with those horrible Koss headphones. Those that switched out the Koss headphones and replace them with Tony's for the Excalibur 2, are much happier because they stay on your head as I found out as well. The sound is better, as well for the Excalibur 2. So these are two different experiences in comparing the detectors.

I will give an update regarding the Gray Ghost Amphibian 2 experience with the Equinox underwater in the next couple of days. It should be coming in today or tomorrow for me to try out.

So far, we can conclude that nobody is happy with the audio underwater with the Equinox and therefore unless a miracle happens with the gray ghost, I will not be able to use the Equinox for underwater diving unless I rely only on the display and just hearing a faint signal that will alert me that I'm at a target. one of the guys in Hawaii said that that's what he has to do when he uses the Equinox in very high metal content areas that he is doing searches in. The Excalibur does not perform on that level in those highly iron deposited areas and so he uses discrimination more on the Equinox and he has to go by the display panel rather than by hearing the tones and volume changes. He has to hold his breath and listen to any target signals to get him in position to look at the display screen and then decide whether he wants to pinpoint it or not.

That is exactly my experience so far with the Equinox underwater.

I'm not interested in that kind of detecting while diving especially when I can't see a thing underwater and most likely not be able to see the screen and barely hear anything as well because of the problem with the signal in the headphones. Not a fun experience!!! I will just have to go to another detector. It appears that most people are happy with the Ex-caliber 2 and even in heavy metal environments that they just use the detector to clean up the area underwater where they are searching or hunting and then look for the smaller precious metal target that they are looking for.

I'll keep you all updated.

By the way, I already told Tony my findings. And I told him what other people have experienced with the Equinox underwater. It doesn't appear that anything will help with the underwater signal coming from that detector. But I will try the Gray Ghost ones for the last attempt which Tony helped to design by the way.

Brian Rudolph

Point on with my experience too.....Excal 2 it is for diving...

Thank you sir. It's an honor to get a response from you of all people! I'm one of your biggest fans online and on YouTube! Thank you for everything that you do for us with everything you're educating us with through your experience with the machines you use and everything you post online. you have contributed so very much and I thank you. We are always complimenting you across the country with everything that you share and test out!!!

Brian Rudolph