Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox

kevinnc

What about this machine got so much attention? I have watched videos and looked for reviews. I don't understand.

Ill give you the benefit of the doubt. Read the forums...... lot of speculation, but a lot of potential in many areas (dirt, beach, gold) at a reasonable price and good warranty. Not trying to be defensive here, but what dont you understand? Ask some questions and maybe we can help.

Dew

The Equinox is going to blitz sales of other machines . Its better than the Terra 705 by a long way and multi freq on top.
Its near enough as good as the Safari in discrim segments and much much faster than all other minelabs i can think of.
You can go in the sea up to 10 feet and use multi freq or straight on to land and use either multi freq or single freq.
Its as fast if not faster than the Deus and has the best sized standard coil at 11 in as standard.
Its lightweight and in most cases should not be too expensive to maintain in the future unlike the CTX.
Cordless headphones through the module unit .
I am sure there are other things too but i haven't seen all the info , i will wait till its out and read the manual .

I cannot see any reason to not think this machine is going to be s*it hot.

OK, Kevin, if it's truly just an innocent question, then I'll say a few words in response, just to add to what dewcon and Nuke em said...

Minelab has a very strong reputation with respect to its multi-frequency detectors -- simply put, they PERFORM.

Several years back, when Minelab last announced the pending release of their prior VLF multi-frequency unit (the CTX), everyone was clamoring for Minelab's customary performance, but in a waterproof, lightweight package. When the CTX was released, it was obvious that Minelab got MUCH of it right -- a very high-end performing, wireless, waterproof, color-screen unit that was an enhancement of prior FBS machines, along with such features as GPS, target trace, etc. BUT -- where some felt they missed was that it's a HEAVY (though well-balanced) unit, and some folks also wished for an even faster machine.

So now, with the pending release of the Equinox, Minelab has announced their "next generation" of multi-frequency technology, Multi-IQ. According to the company, this is NOT just a re-packaging of BBS, or FBS, or V-flex, or any other pre-existing technology, but a NEW way of doing multi-frequency, supposedly with performance-adding cutting-edge engineering. Given Minelab's solid reputation for developing top-of-the-line multi-frequency coin/jewelry machines, this new unit has -- understandably in my opinion -- caught the attention of many. Add to that several other "perks" included with the Equinox, such as being EXTREMELY lightweight (finally checking off that box that was on many folks' wish list during the CTX roll-out), wireless, waterproof unit, that can be run in EITHER multi-frequency mode OR in any one of several single frequencies (WITHOUT having to change coils)...and with VERY fast recovery and the promise of great depth capability PLUS a focus on stable, accurate target ID with depth, ALL at a very affordable price point, and what you therefore have is a unit that (very understandably in my opinion) has many folks very excited and enthusiastic. BUT -- along with those who are very excited and enthusiastic, or even just mildly curious, there are others who seem to be negative-Nancy naysayers, either out of envy, jealously, or whatever, and who seem to want to stir the pot and take pot-shots at the machine (and in some cases, those of us who are looking forward to the Equinox's release). That's fine -- everyone is free to say what they like, but I have to admit that your post seemed to be of this second sort (as opposed to someone generally seeking information). If I mis-judged, I apologize; my patience with the nonsense coming from those simply looking to stir the pot has worn admittedly thin...

Steve

Right----It's just a question & it deserves an answer just as much as the zillion other questions asked about the Equinox.-----And it is a good question Kevin-------Hopefully you can get some answers to your question that know WAY more than I do about it.-------It's quite obvious that the Equinox is going to be a good seller.----Having said that--IMO we can talk about it 24/7 but (as with any detector) we aren't going to know if all the "fuss" is warranted till it gets in the hands of soldiers (detectorists) out on the battlefield (in the field) & those reports roll in.-----That's where the rubber hits the road & you find out the real strength & weaknesses (in ANY detector.-------------Del
kevinnc said:
Just a question.

I'll wait till people are using them and see how it does. I have 2 Minelabs, an Explorer XS and a Sov. XS2A Pro. I have other brands too. Been detecting over 20 years and tried many machines. This is the first one I have seen get so much attention before anyone that I can see ever tried one. I was asking about what they have seen that I haven't.

kevinnc said:
I'll wait till people are using them and see how it does. I have 2 Minelabs, an Explorer XS and a Sov. XS2A Pro. I have other brands too. Been detecting over 20 years and tried many machines. This is the first one I have seen get so much attention before anyone that I can see ever tried one. I was asking about what they have seen that I haven't.

Understood -- about waiting until others try them out, and see what kind of "ground truth" info comes in. That's a very fair position.

I know of several folks who have prototype units -- and a couple of which I trust from past experience. While none have been allowed to say "much" yet, everything that has been said has been quite positive, to say the very least. Add to that what I've seen in a few of the videos I've watched of prototypes being used "in the field," coupled with the information from Minelab's engineers and physicists, and I'm convinced this will be a very good unit. Better than what folks are already using? That will obviously be an individual decision which will have to be made after the machines are released -- and in the hands of good, knowledgable, trustworthy detectorists...

Steve

kevinnc said:
This is the first one I have seen get so much attention before anyone that I can see ever tried one. I was asking about what they have seen that I haven't.

Then you werent paying attention during the reveal and pre-release of the CTX or the E-Trac!

Steve, very good answer to Kevin's question. Almost sounds like you know more about the guts of the Equinox than your revealing. But if everything you have stated about it is accurate (in actual field use), then it will be a wonderful tool for most detectorists.

I've detected for a lot of years. 45 or so. Owned every Minelab except the GTX. The attempts at improving over the last decade and a half have been focused on depth. The only way any machine has achieved maximum depth is via sound. Moving everyone away from the visual to sound has been the direction for a long time. The depth and Id readings are no better than 30% on any machine below 5 or 6 inches. Even the top of the line machines have pathetic depth indicators that are meaningless. In addition, more than half the time the pinpoint is off to the side on any target that turns out not to be a coin. And so it goes.

If the pre-sale hype I've read so far for the EQ has any validity at all then we can expect much better target ID at depth, and presumably better pinpoint. All with greater speed and less weight. If this is all the EQ has to offer it will be well worth it. I have a really tough time expecting any better depth from the EQ or any other machine since over the last 15 years no real additional depth has been reached. All the claims otherwise have turned out to be pure baloney. The old Minelabs from 10 years ago were as deep as the new machines are now, just not as fast. I know because I've owned them all, along with most of the others that made deep claims.

USMA67 --

Thanks! I do think that this will be a really, really good machine; in this I am quite confident, based on the information I have gathered. However, as you said, actual use by those of us "in the field," after the product is released and we can build up some working knowledge of the platform, will either confirm, or refute...

Steve

ky digger said:
I have a really tough time expecting any better depth from the EQ or any other machine since over the last 15 years no real additional depth has been reached. All the claims otherwise have turned out to be pure baloney. The old Minelabs from 10 years ago were as deep as the new machines are now, just not as fast. I know because I've owned them all, along with most of the others that made deep claims.

I'll even go so far as say depth with basic VLF induction balance technology reached maximum performance over 20 years ago or more. My White's 6000D from the mid 1980's reached 90% as far down as my CTX did. In GEB Max, it was even deeper than the CTX. All metal on the XLT and XL Pro was also even deeper than the CTX. The CTX had better ID at depth, but wasn't any deeper overall.

I am not expecting the Equinox to be any deeper either. That limit was reached long ago. What I am hoping, expecting even, is that the Equinox will ID better at depth, and perform better overall, more stable, less EMI, faster reactivity, *at depth*. That is what I am reading into all the hype, maybe wishful thinking, but I hope not. I'm not expecting a huge breakthrough, just a better implementation of VLF technology, squeezing every last bit of utility out of it, in one well put together light waterproof package.

What is depth? Sensitivity to targets...... processing and separation..... then the ability to produce the correct/enough single to make a headphone speaker respond? At that point....... WE come into play. Not certain that tones wont always give us the best depth. I have to say ive been impressed with the CTX TID. So this machine is really going to have to wow me there. Tech has gotten better........ from processing, to coils, to headphones.

Dew

What a great discussion! I have an Explorer SE with the Pro coil. I also have a Whites Eagle Spectrum. The Whites is almost as deep as the Explorer. I haven't used the Whites as much lately as I do the Explorer. Most of the time I depend upon the sound of the SE as it is usually bright and sunny when hunting so I can't see the screen anyhow. The real advantage of the Equinox for me would be the weight savings. I hope this new machine lives up to all of the hype it has created. Will I buy one? Maybe...But I want to see some hardcore testing by members here. Not a salesman or a factory rep that sells Minelab for a living.