Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EQX 15" ELLIPTICAL COIL... MORE GOOD FIELD REPORTS

Spent a few hours this afternoon continuing my education of the Equinox and the new 15" Elliptical Coil.

First off...right B4 heading out, I saw a very encouraging video online showing a fellow detecting the beach using the EQX 15" Coil setup, that had found -7-...yes 7 gold rings, and 3 or 4 silver ones in one afternoon's outing! Just shoot me! (; And I carefully watched his technique as he walked away. He was walking along the beach at a brisk pace, somewhat wildly swinging the coil, arcing up into the air on each end of the stroke. This was by no means a man tinkering along, sorting out the signals under the fry pan one by one! He was really hauling !!!

Then in my search, I went back to the program I normally use, which is FIELD2. I firmly believe in a careful EMI reduction and noise cancelling. This sometimes takes time...and I know patience varies with the operator. To find a perfectly clean spot to noise cancel...can in and of itself be difficult at times. To accept a "slightly noisy spot" is to invite subpar performance.

And I tried a new technique today for EMI REDUCTION, since excessive EMI can be an issue at times. By holding the machine at waist height, coil -edge- vertical to the ground, stand steady and get ready, often 2 hands holding the neck is easier, (mandatory on "The Big Dog," the GPZ 7000 at 11.4 pounds)! Now start your sequence, but we will do this based on the 4 "regions" of the detector. Hold steady and hit the start button and enjoy chugging your first coke down as you smoothly and slowly rotate! But rotate slowly --only through the first 90 degrees of rotation...go slow...take your time, only 1 region! But keep the machine up and level and ready to immediately proceed with the final steps. Next...do Region 2...and repeat the same, smoothly rotate your body through the next -adjoining- region of 90 degrees, holding the coil level and straight, doing your best to maintain the same elevation off the ground.. And repeat for the 3rd and finally the 4th Region. You'll feel bubbly from chugging all that imaginary coke, but the quiet, well behaved machine will make it all seem worthwhile! Let the machine have more readings to chew on to decide the final number/s it will use. I used to do 2 regions and the numbers varied wildly, (watch the screen as you do this EMI tuning)... showing there -IS- much info to be gathered. Maybe it takes just the last numbers and ignores the rest? But from my results, I have a feeling that I am ahead on the game. This was in a very open lot down along the water. It seems to like it, and although a lot to write out here, in reality...it goes very fast. --I'd Love to Hear some Additional Reports on.... "4 Region EMI Tuning."

The 15" coil is very sensitive to small targets. Again from its "roots" of being almost a gold mining machine with the powerful gold modes. Down along the end of the canal, I really put her through her paces.... I had cleaned out this "point" area and as close as I dare go to the reenforced-concrete seawalls. That let you about 2 to 3 feet out from the wall. A lot of prime square footage in "no man's land." But I always assumed if somebody sat down on the seawall cap to fish, their coins and sinkers, etc, would slip out of their pockets and lay directly behind them in the grass.

And so I thought this would be an important test in many regards. Where the 6" EQX would be best to tune out the seawall, I wanted to know what would happen if you lumber along with the big elliptical 15"? My results were as follows....

1. Although the heavily reinforced seawall had tons of ferrous rebar in the wall, the EQX 15 was in fact up to the task! Lower your sensitivity down to 18. Plenty of power...witnessed by finding a half dozen small "slip" sinkers along the wall, some quite deep! You simply pointed your body out to sea as well with the EQX 15" pointed tip of the elliptical, and do the Washington Side Step...we all know so well. Keep the tip of the coil off the seawall only 4", and side step your way along with careful side to side passes. The stuff I missed from the last visit with my Garrett AT Max was amazing!

Almost to reward me, as soon as I approached the wall, I had a fairly steady 29 reading. With my index finger on the seawall cap, and my thumb on the Wright Brothers Quarter, was I ever pleased!!! I hate to use the word trick, let's call it technique...but this opens up areas along docks, seawalls, etc,, for all of us! Thousands of feet that I bet my first detector on...has NEVER SEEN AN EDDY CURRENT!!! Tired at the beach? Just side-step along the docks and walls, wherever grass or dirt meets the edge. I will go back now and continue on cleaning out all the coins and sinkers I missed during normal detecting. Another arrow in your quiver for all to use who read here! But remember...the real secret is the --reducing of the power- to allow you to get so close.

And if lead sinkers reading are close to finding gold...hang on..surprises are coming your way! They don't always pinpoint perfect, especially if there is more than one target, but the EQX 15" will nail them every time. Clear, crisp, pounding signals. Fishing sinkers are actually a very nice item to collect. Don't laugh...but there are so many types and sizes, so many very old style pours with curved over edges on the old pyramids. And they look great in a wooden with glass top display case. I like the 18x24x2"...but they are getting so expensive...they are a buck a piece now on the majors. But with all the work you go through recovering all these items of interest...they should be properly displayed for all to enjoy. Coins are not the only game in town. In fact I enjoy some of this stuff more than some clad coin.

The Equinox always had a superb pin-pointer. I noted that within 10 minutes of starting my machine. Loud and clear and accurate. And VERY ACCURATE with the 15" Coil. I dug about 40 plugs todays, only about 6x6", and only 1 of the lot needed a re-scan. My sweet spot is the FLAT HORIZONTAL LINE ON THE COIL, JUST BELOW THE WHITE SERIAL NUMBER STICKER. TAG YOUR SHOVEL 1" --BELOW- THAT WHITE LINE and you are good to go. Targets show up nicely in the hole starting with this location on the 15" Coil.

I much prefer to run with THRESHOLD ON at all times...to about number 5 to 7, or to where you hear a slight, but solid background sound of all the iron. To me... after you get used to another layer of sound, you first off know what you are getting into...is it high iron, or is this ground -loaded full of iron-??? I went to the point of learning to read and understand the threshold and actually testing myself to see if I could dig a THRESHOLD detected TARGET! I was successful and another tool in the toolbox. The default Threshold setting on start-up is ON... with the first region of numbers on the screen blanked out.

--THE THRESHOLD IS YOUR -GREAT FRIEND- IN WEEDING OUT FALSE TARGETS-- A seldom known or applied "marker" that can be quick and helpful in ascertaining to dig or pass on a target in trash. Practice this (if you wish) until you are a believer in yourself. It's the only way.

I also prefer to run with the horse shoe selected.. Filled in (low region 1 numbers, discrimination OFF). Now ---if you only give it a chance---you will hear the iron target coming through at the EXACT same time as your "Real Target" that you are ready to dig. But wait! If its a "good" target...why is the Threshold --Mirror Image-- that you lightly hear in the background) sounding off --INSINC-- with the "Good" Target!!???

WE CANNOT HAVE TWO IDENTICAL TARGETS DOWN IN THE GROUND, NOW CAN WE? ONE FERROUS AND ONE A NON-FERROUS "GOOD" TARGET READY TO BE DUG. Time to STOP and RE-ACCESS.

Now put the discrimination back ON... pushing the horseshoe button. If and only "IF" your prior "Good" target is STILL EXACTLY THE SAME IN EVERY RESPECT...You very well might have a good target. But if you hear the discriminated signal at all "clipped" or in other strange ways...the signal smoothness and follow through changed...SUSPECT A FERROUS TARGET AND PASS. Unsure of yourself? Fine! Practice with a few of these, and -dig them all to build confidence in yourself.- After a while in a trashy location, you will in fact hear TWO identical sets of target responses, smile and walk on by. You can easily adjust not only the volume level of the THRESHOLD but also the THRESHOLD PITCH that best suits your ears to easily notice changes. GOOD LUCK...this one takes a little practice and a "stick to it" attitude. But the rewards are easily worth it!

Once again in summary...the new Equinox 15" Elliptical Coil has proven herself a strong winner. From that amazing beach report, to my Seawall techniques...and Threshold verifications, she has proven to be strong in all categories and a capable and useful coil, well worth the purchase price. There seems to be no apparent flaws, and a quick purchase to secure one from the 1st batch out to the public, might be shopping Santa well approves of !!!

Cant say you are right or wrong about the threshold if it works for you. I prefer it OFF....... its just noise to me.... kind of like running 0 tone volume AND disc out iron. I get the same affect of a threshold from reducing the volume to 1 in the iron range running AM. The machine lacks modulation so i like to reduce as much unnecessary noise as i can...... but then im old and cant concentrate on a lot lol.

Was that guy really in GOLF SWING mode moving that fast with the big coil??? If he found that much gold ..... id sure like to hunt behind him.

Drew...thanks for your reply. I too have that 1st region on just 1 or 2 volume. Just enough so that when you turn up the Threshold button to 5-7, you can hear the iron very lightly in the background. Now if you hear “mirror images” in both, the caution light might be warranted. I have about 120 hours on the Equinox, and feel I barely know it!

But reducing the Recovery Speed when using the 15” is absolutely essential. I forgot when I switched to FIELD2, and after about 10 minutes, I was wondering where all the “decent” targets went! Then it dawned on me that I had forgot to reduce it. Sure enough...the machine default was 7, and I reduced RS down to 4. Next target had great “extension” and a smooth, solid signal.

Well Drew...maybe sometime give the “Threshold Mirroring” a try? It is actually pretty cool having another complete level of target information!

And yes...this older fellow was giving her the ole “golf swing” no doubt! I was surprised at how fast he was moving.

My son has had the new 15" coil for a few weeks now and he has already racked up several nice gold rings from beach spots he has hit numerous times with the 11". He feels the 15" not only gets noticeably deeper targets, but the target signal on the rings is stronger and he can cover more ground in less time. Cost of the coil was easily recovered on the first ring so he is quite satisfied with the purchase. His deepest find so far is a quarter at which he said was around 18" to 20" in damp beach sand.

I am very pleased with the 15. It does add to the nose heavy effect, but for what it is it's pretty light. I could not be more pleased with the purchase (cheaper would be better, but it's got CTX 17 beat!

Most people seem to be testing the 15" on coin sized targets. What I would like to see is a depth comparison between the 11" coil and 15" on targets half dollar size or bigger. Zinc jar lid, US belt buckle , or larger. This is when you see a greater difference in depth between the two coils. I would be interested in hearing anyones results on this type of test. Thanks. Mark

That's what I thought too.

I tested mine when I first got it on a US belt plate.

I'm probably the only person out there that is not impressed with it. My stock coil actually goes deeper and air tests better. I've tried different recovery speed settings too but in every case, my 11 inch stock coil was better. Now, what is interesting is when I posted my air test comparison numbers between the two...several people chimed in that my 11 inch coil numbers were several inches better than theirs on the same target types and settings that I used. The general thought was, my 11 inch coil is super hot and makes the 15 inch coil look weak. Their numbers matched my 15 inch coil data but my 11 inch coil beat the 15" coil by 1 to 2 inches on everything.

Are you running the updated software? I have the 15" on my Eq 800 running with the upgrade and am thinking about downgrading the next time I go out as an experiment. I found the 15" just doesn't always come across as hard or crisp on targets as the 11". It sometimes gets the depth plus more but not always and I seem to be digging iffy/multi-pass targets more often. I have found a few 3 scoop finds so the depth can be had on the beach (and in the wet sand....this alone impresses me when I do hit one of these).

Unlike the 11" coil, I think the 15" will take time to figure it out and hopefully we'll see software upgrades to improve the performance. I only have around 8 hours with it but I expect it to stay on my machine for the rest of our summer while I decide if I like it or not.

I'm running the original software. I tried the new version for a couple months and to me, it fixed some things but brought in a few quirks that I did not like so I went back to the original.

The 15" does have the extra ground coverage but what I have ran into with it, is my soil is a little hot for such a big coil and it is a lot more noisy than the stock coil or 6 inch coil. To get it to run as smooth in the ground, I have to back the sensitivity down a touch...usually around the 16-18 range where as I can run wide open with the 6" and around 20-22ish with the 11". When air testing them I did em all the same and my 11" still came out inches ahead.

I’m doing fantastic with the new 15” coil.. Deepest detector coil combo I’ve ever used.
I use the new update which I am very happy with. It has accurate depth meter now and improved audio modulation.
I run 50 Tones with Recovery 5 most of the time. iron Bias 0. Adjust Recovery Speed as conditions change.

Bryan

Jack, why are you calling the 15 inch coil for the Equinox an Elliptical coil?

Your post made me go to the Minelab web site and check on this fact. The coil is listed as a Double D.

Tony

Yes Tony . It's an egg shaped double D.
Matt

BigTony said:
Jack, why are you calling the 15 inch coil for the Equinox an Elliptical coil?

Your post made me go to the Minelab web site and check on this fact. The coil is listed as a Double D.

Tony

It is Elliptical... It's not concentric like your thinking. Elliptical is it's shape not windings.