Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Etrac and Safari

Hi all,

Quick question here - I had an Etrac awhile back but sold it (was buying a new car). I'm ready to jump back in the game and the Safari has really caught my eye. I'm not concerned with the performance between the 2 detectors as they clearly are running the same FBS technology. I know there is probably a processor speed difference but i"m a slow sweeping kind of guy.

While the Etrac is a great machine it definitely had more bells and whistles that I think most detectorists won't take advantage of. The Safari seems like it takes a more simplistic approach to the menu system while still offering the same performance. Does this sound accurate?

I have been a Sovereign user for a number of years but the Safari is definitely peaking my curiosity. How do you all feel about your time with the Safari and it's performance?

Thanks,
Joseph

Hey Joseph,
My first machine was a Safari and I really like it. As you mentioned it is the same FBS tech. The Safari is an excellent machine and easy to use (more simplistic just as you thought, turn it on and go!). As with any MD the longer you use it the better you will become at analyzing what it is telling you. The Etrac gives me a lot of info that I appreciate and use. I have only scratched the surface of what is available to me.
You certainly won't be disappointed with the Safari. I would definitely recommend the SEF 6x8 coil to augment the 11 inch one.
Bunker

Just the number system alone makes the trac more attractive in my opinion. I have had both machines.

E-trac a little iron digging..Safari a lot of iron digging that read good solid coin signals.

bunker314 said:
Hey Joseph,
My first machine was a Safari and I really like it. As you mentioned it is the same FBS tech. The Safari is an excellent machine and easy to use (more simplistic just as you thought, turn it on and go!). As with any MD the longer you use it the better you will become at analyzing what it is telling you. The Etrac gives me a lot of info that I appreciate and use. I have only scratched the surface of what is available to me.
You certainly won't be disappointed with the Safari. I would definitely recommend the SEF 6x8 coil to augment the 11 inch one.
Bunker

I agree with bunker with his reply, I also have a Safari and it has done me well. It also does very well for beach hunting (salt water). I also use the 6x8 sef coil which is good to have for trashy/tight sites, I like the E-tracs extra features for custom hunting setups and am planning on getting one in the future. The Safari is a good choice for getting back in the game, if you're not looking for extra features of an E-trac (extra $500.00) good luck...

Thanks everyone for you input. Everyone is always so helpful here.
I think I'm gonna give the Safari a go and see how she works out. I'm kind of a dig all kind of guy so I think the Safari is gonna fit the bill.

Thanks again,
Joseph

I like Bunker went with an E-Trac after a couple of very good years running a Safari and you won't be sorry with the Safari. Once you get the tones down and the E-Trac tones are very similiar you should'nt dig a lot of trash. Good luck. HH :minelab:

Believe that going with a Safari to get back into the hobby would make for a good choice. Like with any detector the longer you use it, the less trash you'll dig. Getting yourself a copy of the Minelab Quattro and Safari Handbook would also be a big help, if just for the useful tips it contains such as "cross saving" which has been a very helpful to me. Personally, digging rusted iron hasn't been much of a problem as 36 and 40 seem to be where most of the small rusted iron is found in the coin range. Though I do know of two separate instances (one my own) where 40 readings have turned out to be small stacks of quarters and other coins, in both instances it was its different sound which made us dig. Think you'll find out that the Safari is one mighty fine machine...

Do you use a Safari? If so, which mode do you prefer and are you using cross saving and if so, how and in which mode. Or any other insight into the Safari and ferrous vs conductivity. I just got a used Safari to complement my MXT Pro by trading an Xterra 705 package.
Thanks for any personal tips.

I have both, and think that it is hard to go wrong with the safari. The only place I see a big advantage with the etrac is in really trashy parks, and the safari is still very good in this milieu. For sports fields, agricultural fields or beaches both are good. As noted above, you can buy an X-8 or other small coil and still spend less than the on E. HH

Thanks for the advice and thanks for your YouTube vids, I've been watching them and they are great!
I am really leaning towards the Safari for it's simplicity. I'm a very tech oriented guy but I honestly found that the E-Trac just had more bells and whistles than I needed and I personally didn't see any of them making me a better hunter. I think alot of that revolves around the fact that I like to dig everything, I always have. I'm sure other will find great value in what the Etrac provides.

The Safari is good raw performance with the FBS technology I absolutely love.
Thanks again for all the advice!

Joseph

Hey Joseph,

How is the Safari working out for you? I'm getting back in the game after 25 years and have the same issue. Etrac or Safari.

Cuddy

I'm actually searching around for a used one as we speak:) I'll definitely let you know though. I had an Etrac and it was a nice machine but I found no real advantage with many of the extras it came with. I've been hunting mostly with the Sovereign line over the years but the Safari seems to be a nice in between.

Hi Joseph, I have a Safari I purchased new and its in the box. I used it once its Great! I can not hunt any more, my age has caught up with me. I will let it go for $650. shipped UPS insured in the USA.If you have any questions, let me know.
Thanks Joe.