Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Etrac arrived Friday.

jd88047

Went Hunting Saturday after Battery charged. While I did ok with my test garden. I was not very lucky at some old places I have hunted in the past. Without going into settings, I think letting my buddy change the basic coin setting caused me to be seeing too much. Think I will just lower sens and go with it. I also put a 6 Inch Coil on also to learn my new baby. This is a very informative site. I have read till my eyes bleed. I hope to get back out in a day or two once the rain stops and get swinging again. Thanks for having me to the group.

I would suggest starting out with auto sensitivity. I've had good results with it and it is the best setting for minimizing falsing which was confusing for me when I first started with the etrac. Start out in auto and then work your way through auto +1, +2 and +3. As you get more used to the sounds of the etrac and how to tell falsing from a good signal you can then move on to experimenting with manual sensitivity to increase depth. The stock coin program is fine for learning. In clean areas I use the Andy S pattern and in trashy areas Bill's Trashy Park pattern.

Mcdetect said:
I would suggest starting out with auto sensitivity. I've had good results with it and it is the best setting for minimizing falsing which was confusing for me when I first started with the etrac. Start out in auto and then work your way through auto +1, +2 and +3. As you get more used to the sounds of the etrac and how to tell falsing from a good signal you can then move on to experimenting with manual sensitivity to increase depth. The stock coin program is fine for learning. In clean areas I use the Andy S pattern and in trashy areas Bill's Trashy Park pattern.

Good advice. I would also suggest watching all of Bill's E-Trac videos on You Tube under Dirt Fishing. I watched them for a long time before getting my E-Trac and they helped me a lot when I finally got mine.

Many thanks, will head over to Youtube and check a few vids out.

Listen to these guys...... Don't do like I did and over think it, it'll just confuse you in the beginning? That machine gives you a TON of info and in time you'll get it. Good idea using the 6" also for starters (and in the future). In the beginning you might want to basically dig ALL repeatable and consistant targets that are consistant from all angles until you get a good idea of what targets fall where (sound/numbers, etc).............

Well yesterday I got a workout. I could not get any depth on the 5x8 sef coil. I tried open screen, manual sensitivity. I tried all programs and still just could not get any more than 2 inches out of the coil.I normally wouldnt buy a used coil, but found this one on ebay. After I got home I checked out my other two coils and realized it was not me or the detector. It was the used coil.

jd88047 said:
Well yesterday I got a workout. I could not get any depth on the 5x8 sef coil. I tried open screen, manual sensitivity. I tried all programs and still just could not get any more than 2 inches out of the coil.I normally wouldnt buy a used coil, but found this one on ebay. After I got home I checked out my other two coils and realized it was not me or the detector. It was the used coil.

I really do not bother with used coils unless they are from someone reputable on the forums. Most sellers now have a 30 day return policy on Ebay so you should not have a problem returning the item and getting refunded including shipping both ways since the item did not work. If that does not work you can also contact Ebay directly and tell them the item was in non working condition. I would contact the buyer first and give them the chance to make good on it. If they do not, just open up a return case with Ebay and get the return process started.

Hey J.d.

I will pipe in with my 2 cents worth. I started with the explorer and moved up to the e-trac. Using these two detectors I have averaged over 70+ silver coins per year and a lot of those are from so called hunted out parks.

I am a firm believer that you cannot beat the stock coils. When I started hunting I used the factory settings to learn the tones and see what the detector was telling me. As oneguy said don't want to over think it.

I dug iffy sounds and still do just to see what the iffy tones are. I promise if you are patience enough and swing slow and let the detector do what's its designed to do it will all pay off in the end.

Diggervance

I'm just coming off of 5 years with and Xterra 705 and I'm finding that the whole thing is about field time and training your ears. Finally after my 4th outing I'm starting to hit good finds and gaining confidence. I struggled the same way with the Xterra at first having just come off of 8 years with a Tesoro Toltec 100. My current struggle is with target IDs. Things that I'm passing on, things under an 11-32, I'm reading from others can be rings. I've found a silver ring recently, but I may have passed on other good targets. Fortunately I have an advantage, my Etrac is one of three in our detecting crew. That, like this forum, is a big help getting up to speed.

Yes I finally got the etrac dialed in. I forgot my AT Pro at the house and only had my etrac for the Monday tot lot hunt. I downloaded a few programs from a link off this site and bam, coin after coin after coin. Even got a junker ring. Deepest target was over 12 inches. Now Im no expert and had a class by a expert after that. I traded a whites trx pin pointer for a upper and lower shaft. Think we both were happy with the trade. I did get fooled a few times today but thats just learning the curve. I also had a few coins that didnt register numbers of depth, but by sound I knew they was dimes. Is it ok to not get a number or depth like this? Besides leaving the screen mask or pin point mode on, I really enjoyed the low hum of the threshold and how it would break over a bad target. I am considering trading the F75 and AT Pro for a ctx. The guy who gave me a class on my etrac just dug a 3/4 reale, in my hunting spot lol. Now if I could get my back to straighten up and let me hunt. Thanks for the info guys. I

I think the F75 is a great addition to my E-trac. I hunt first with the Etrac and go back and hunt with the F75. I have found many good finds after using my F75 after using my etrac at the same site. It is like the e-trac gets all the silver and then the F75 clean out all the copper and other old stuff.

Magic, couldn't agree more. Last weekend a standing liberty half ID was 1-45: obviously the 45 was accurate but I'm seeing the first number all over the place. Trust your ears first, instinct second, and the second ID number third..

ugh....sorry to here you are going through the same newbie struggles as i am JD
and yeah, EBAY sucks to start with...and then you get misrepresented goods there too
best to stick with the stuff direct from the maker; i am heeding your advice and getting a COILTEL 6 inch sniper to help learn my Etrac beast on...i am very frustrated with it at this point as well ....but all these good folks on this site that have been dispensing quality advice to you and i cannot be wrong!!....just hold that thought and plow forward and at some point, the light will apparently go on for you and i!!!haha

Last weekend my friend pulled a Barber Half at about 8", numbers were all over the place, but the sound is what made him dig it. He found it next to a rusty nail and a piece of foil slightly above it. He almost walked on it, but the sound wouldn't let him he said.

Not turned on my F75 or AT Pro since I received the Etrac. It has just been like Christmas day every time I take the etrac out. Feeling like I have come full circle and am now a metal detectorist. I have found hunting with my back to the sun helps with seeing the screen. I can't help but see my shadow and I like the way it looks on me too. I actually am hunting places with the Etrac I have pounded with the other two detectors. I never dig much or deep with those two as I went fast and covered a lot of ground. The minelab has to be swung low and slow. Do any of you guys have a little routine when you find the target like circling coil around the target or pulling out your digger and marking the spot as you pull out your pin pointer? Being at that stage and developing good habits is a must for me. You have to forget everything you know about metal detecting it seems. Im going to play with manual and automatic sensitivity. I want to learn reject and accept target menus also. The six inch coil may not be as deep, as long as I quit finding pipes 2 foot under the ground Ill be ok with that. Four hunts and no silver of wheaties yet.

Get a NEL Tornado and Sunray X-5 and you will be set for a while. Also get a X-1 sunray probe. I do not own any pin pointers any more. Don't miss them.

I feel that the 6" coil is just too small. Go with the Coiltek 10x5 or try to find a Sun Ray 8". i have both and both are excellent but the Sunray is my principal coil. Never tried the Minelab 8" but I am willing to bet it is almost identical to the Sunray.

Yes I bought a used 6x8 sef but it has a bad connector. It read the same number no matter what you find and isnt very deep. Anyone ever bring a coil back to life with those symptoms? I broke down and did get a dust cover for the control box, but could not see the screen no matter how I adjusted it. So I bought a screen protector for a tablet and cut it down to fit the screen only. Man what a difference. Vet tape also now protects all the shafts and handles. I am lacking a extra battery but can live with it for now. I do want a thunder coil, for fields and such. But am happy with the 6 inch coil. I swing so slow anyway more coverage would be a pain. I need the separation of the smaller coil. I hunt shady spots and just killing it coin wise. Even found a ring already. I love the speed of the finds site but posting pictures can be a chore. Anyone se the Etrac for nugget shooting or meteorites? I considered a harness too, the heat is about to set in and less is more here.