Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Etrac auto vs manual

Hopskippy

This is a very interesting test.
I'm wondering if you veteran etrac'rs are seeing this kind of result when actually in the field?
What are you guys thoughts on this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53hOrH74w0I

I did just did an air test with mine. It was running at auto19 w/+3. I set manual at 19. When I switch to manual, I get at least 1 1/2" farther/deeper.
Very interesting

I think there's several points that one could make here but the most likely is that few realize that going to manual disables the ground tracking on the etrac. When one toggles back in to auto and the machine begins tracking again , an object close to the coil at the begining of the sweep could easily be read as mineralization and canceled out. That is an awfully small test garden. He needs to repeat the test but remove the target while re-reading the ground and then replace the target and see what happens.

I read frequently about people runniing these high sensitivity settings and find that's difficult in my soil. In addition , if your soil changes frequently and you're running in manual you could easily be running way out of balance with the ground. I always make a point of toggling back and forth often when using manual just to "taste" the ground now and then; in my dirt it's not uncommon to see a rec,sens. number that varies 12 to 15 points.

I run manual as high as I can. Usually between 26 and 30. Manual is always deeper. I'm not aware that the tracking is disablred in manual mode? Maybe I missed it in the manual?

khouse said:
I run manual as high as I can. Usually between 26 and 30. Manual is always deeper. I'm not aware that the tracking is disablred in manual mode? Maybe I missed it in the manual?

I too was not aware of the ground tracking either.
Exactly what is going on here and why?

I'm hoping the veteran users will have some in the field experiences with this and share their thinking on it. As did (sprchng).
I learn so much reading what these guys post about their finds, the numbers and different settings per location and such.
I'm very new to the Etrac and want to get as much understanding in my thinking as I can, BEFORE I go detecting.I know the very first target I get, I'll be wanting to analyze that signal to death before I dig it.:shrug:

Great video and clean, logical presentation. Gave me something to think about. Thanks

You may well be correct on this (tracking disabled when in manual) but this the first time I've heard this.-----Where did you get the info that this is the case?-----I have read the manual any number of times & have not seen that.
sprchng said:
I think there's several points that one could make here but the most likely is that few realize that going to manual disables the ground tracking on the etrac. When one toggles back in to auto and the machine begins tracking again , an object close to the coil at the begining of the sweep could easily be read as mineralization and canceled out. That is an awfully small test garden. He needs to repeat the test but remove the target while re-reading the ground and then replace the target and see what happens.

I read frequently about people runniing these high sensitivity settings and find that's difficult in my soil. In addition , if your soil changes frequently and you're running in manual you could easily be running way out of balance with the ground. I always make a point of toggling back and forth often when using manual just to "taste" the ground now and then; in my dirt it's not uncommon to see a rec,sens. number that varies 12 to 15 points.

Doesn't the Etrac assign a frequency as ground in the set numbers and all others are target response frequencies ??? I don't remember ever reading the E-Trac tracks the ground..

Now I will say I could be wrong, wrong, wrong... So if that is the case why would manual or all metal matter ...

Seems like sprchng is caught in " sprchng sie deutche " Let me see........how did he put it ? Oh yes....."You have fully exposed him now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:pinnochio
sprchng said:

Targets REALLY need to be in the ground for more than a year in natural conditions to achieve accurate results.

Here's how the etrac ground balances:----from the manual

E-Trac has three internal signal channels (high,
medium and low) used to identify targets.
E-Trac continually measures the magnetic
ground interferences that affect these
channels and adjusts the level of Sensitivity
individually for each channel, to provide the
most stable Target ID for each channel.
Most ground types cause some interference
and E-Trac uses this to adjust the detector to
the correct Auto Sensitivity. Auto Sensitivity
may not work well on a beach, as they do not
typically contain magnetic materials.----------

When you go to manual you are ignoring these settings and assigning arbitrary numbers to all signal channels. If the ground changes , the settings don't like they do in auto and you have affectively disabled the tracking system , hence the false readings.

the important difference between Auto and
Manual is that all of the channels are set to
the same level in Manual and if set too high
may cause unstable Target IDs.
For example, if the Suggested Sensitivity
determined by the detector is 15 and you
set Manual Sensitivity to 20, all channels are
set to 20. If one channel is affected by the
ground conditions then Auto would normally
reduce the level for this channel. In Manual it
is not reduced and stays at 20 so the ground
interference may cause false signals and
unstable Target IDs.

sprchng said:
Here's how the etrac ground balances:----from the manual

E-Trac has three internal signal channels (high,
medium and low) used to identify targets.
E-Trac continually measures the magnetic
ground interferences that affect these
channels and adjusts the level of Sensitivity
individually for each channel, to provide the
most stable Target ID for each channel.
Most ground types cause some interference
and E-Trac uses this to adjust the detector to
the correct Auto Sensitivity. Auto Sensitivity
may not work well on a beach, as they do not
typically contain magnetic materials.----------

When you go to manual you are ignoring these settings and assigning arbitrary numbers to all signal channels. If the ground changes , the settings don't like they do in auto and you have affectively disabled the tracking system , hence the false readings.

the important difference between Auto and
Manual is that all of the channels are set to
the same level in Manual and if set too high
may cause unstable Target IDs.
For example, if the Suggested Sensitivity
determined by the detector is 15 and you
set Manual Sensitivity to 20, all channels are
set to 20. If one channel is affected by the
ground conditions then Auto would normally
reduce the level for this channel. In Manual it
is not reduced and stays at 20 so the ground
interference may cause false signals and
unstable Target IDs.

If this is the case then why do I not see 3 different numbers for sensitivity when I am in auto? Is the number I'm seeing in auto sensitivity the highest of the 3 channels or the lowest?

Hopskippy said:
This is a very interesting test.
I'm wondering if you veteran etrac'rs are seeing this kind of result when actually in the field?
What are you guys thoughts on this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53hOrH74w0I
There was a video. I'm not seeing it now? I guess I must of broke a rule.

You can watch it over at the utube. search for (etrac auto vs manual )

I still see it, twice.

Hmmmm.. If I did break a rule. I apologize.

I'm not seeing the video in my original post, but do see it in my quote of that post?

I'm on a mac, so it could be on my end.

Within each channel is different frequencies. When in Auto sens only the selected few frequencies within that channel is at the auto sens setting. The more noisy frequencies are running at less power. When in manual sens ALL frequencies within the selected channel run at the same power. In by running manual sens especially higher than what the auto wants - your forcing the machine to run hotter. You may get some more chatter but a good target will blast through. Come to think of it as Elton said there isn't a ground tracking circuit on the etrac. Just different channels and frequencies that are able to compensate for the ground.

Like I said ..... !!!!

roadapple said:
Seems like sprchng is caught in " sprchng sie deutche " Let me see........how did he put it ? Oh yes....."You have fully exposed him now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:pinnochio
sprchng said:

I see what your saying and have read it on page 54 and 55 of the manual. I guess I found those pages boring and skipped them. I have scanned the manual countless times and never really soaked in what it said. It indeed tracks the ground in Auto. At least that's how I'm reading it..... I've had it two years and still learning........