Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Etrac for relics?

txbluzman

We all know how great the FBS detectors are for finding silver, gold, etc but you never hear about anyone setting up their machine for relic hunting. Has anyone set up their Etrac specifically for relic hunting? If so please share your settings. Thanks.

Have you been over to MLOTV.com? Them boys are pulling stuff from pre B.C. lol.

Yep I've been there. I'm looking for some suggestions from folks on this side of the pond that are well versed with using an Etrac for relics.

txbluzman said:
Yep I've been there. I'm looking for some suggestions from folks on this side of the pond that are well versed with using an Etrac for relics.

It's more than capable imo.

EZrider said:
Have you been over to MLOTV.com? Them boys are pulling stuff from pre B.C. lol.

PRE B.C. Now THAT is old!!!!:surprised:

There are a lot of cool relics in Andy's book. That civil war sword found in Georgia is really neat!!

NebTrac

for relic-hunting. Everyone here has given good advice about checking out Andy's Book and viewing the Minelab Owner's website videos.

I set my E Trac up yesterday morning on a 1000 acre farm that I just got permission to hunt. Slave quarters, 1830's homeplace, old barns and buildings, 3 wells where quarters more than likely were located scattered across the property. Anyway I spent most of the morning surveying the place. Still have 3/4 of it to go. Here's the way I set my E Trac up. Two tone ferrous, Sunray X 5 coil, sensitivity pegged out, all metal.(woods hunting) Iron or nails thumped and anything conductive pinged out high tone. I'm slap tickled at my results while doing the quick survey (walking fast and just swinging the coil pretty quick actually) looking for anything of interest that might be a clue to come back later and hunt good fashioned. Running the E Trac that way doing a survey I dug at least 40 holes with both high and low tones just to see what was making it sound off in the woods. Dug about 10 square nails from 6 to 8 inches deep. Before I dug them I would hit quickmask where I had a pretty extensive disc nail pattern to see if it would disc them out and every nail nulled the machine before I dug it for verification. I hit one place where there looked like small aluminum can slaw anywhere from 4 to 10 inches in the ground and tested it too. Verified it by digging. Found 4 or 5 22 cal. casings anywhere from just under the dirt to the deepest one probably 8 inches deep. Hit a 06 empty casing at least 10 inches, gave off a high tone and pegged the depth scale out. I'm not a relic hunter mind you but it looks as if it will work superbly to me.

In the 70's I hunted relics with a Metrotech 220A detector. :surprised: This thing was an arm breaker. We used to turn the handle up to help hold it for long periods.

If it could find relics E-Trac sure will.

:crylol:

It'll find 'em for sure. Musket ball, rifle and pistol bullets, 1800's jewelry, old cartridge cases, brass tags, just a few of the things I've run across. Setup is still site dependent. I usually run multi tone unless there's lots of trash then switch to 2 tone ferrous. If it's a relic type site I just disc out some of the lower right for nails and get ready to dig the rest! The X-5 is great in lots of trash.

One of the best relic hunters I know uses an Xterra 705 I believe. Since the etrac is an upgrade from that I'd say it would do fine on relics.