Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Etrac large coil options and experiences

Russ88

Hello Fellow ETrac users....I currently have the stock coil and the 8 x 6 detect SEF coil and I am requesting any of your own personal experiences/opinions on the large coil department. I am seriously looking at the 15 x 12 Detect SEF coil, 13 Ultimate (detect) and the 12 x 8 coiltek coil. My desires is to find a large coil that will go up to 1-2 inches deeper than the standard 11 inch coil and yet is reasonable in separation for its size. Perhaps I am looking for alot but I am hopeful you could give me some insight on this area as I am relatively new in the ETrac arena (October 2015)

Any of your thoughts/guidance is greatly appreciated!

Russ88

My experience has been a larger coil is less a matter of more depth and more a matter of ground coverage. I had the 13" Ultimate and I'd say at most I might have gained an inch in the right conditions. What I did gain was 2" more ground coverage which did tend to increase my finds odds.

I have both the Coiltek WOT 15" coil and the Ultimate 13" coil. I like the Ultimate the best. I find it hits a little harder than the factory 11" coil. It is on my Etrac most all of the time. The WOT just covers more ground but is no deeper then the Ultimate coil. I had the SEF 15x12" and sold it.
Hope this helps.

I have the 15x12 setf coil and i use it 80% of the time. The rest of the time I use the 10x5. The big coil took some getting used to because of the weight but I really like it.

In harsh soil you may actually lose depth with the larger coil because you will have to run at a lower sensitivity .
I use the WOT 15" for more coverage but get no more depth in my dirt. Auto 3 is the max with the WOT while I can usually run 5 to 10 points above recommended sensitivity with the stock. My soil seldom breaks the mid teens on auto 3.

Hello AL KS.....Interesting to find out that the 15 x 12 was your go to coil 80 percent of the time. Did you find the coil heavy to use for a 2 hour period? I suspect the 10 x 5 was used more for trashy environments. DId you find things deeper with the 15 x12? I am referring to coin shooting. If you can let me know that would be appreciated

Russ88

Southwind thanks for your comments.....Your thoughts are well taken regarding getting more coverage

Russ88

I must say that the 13 inch Ultimate coil IMO, is the best coil for overall coin hunting in parks or open ground. It just seems to hit deep - load and clear signals for a large coil that is in weight basically the same as the stock coil.

Hello Masterjedi......I see you kept the Ultimate 13, but sold the SEF 15 x12. Any thoughts on the 15 X 12 vs the Ultimate?

Thanks Russ88

Russ88 said:
Hello Masterjedi......I see you kept the Ultimate 13, but sold the SEF 15 x12. Any thoughts on the 15 X 12 vs the Ultimate?

Thanks Russ88

Yes- The 15x12 was not as sensitive as the Ultimate coil is. It did not hit targets as hard in Oregon soil. IMO the Ultimate coil is the best all around coil for the Etrac. For my Etrac I have the NEL 9.5x5.5" coil, The factory 11" pro coil, the Detech 13" Ultimate coil and the Coiltek 15" WOT coil, all with their own lower shafts so I can change coils in less than a minute. I have the Ultimate on most all of the time. I went out this morning and guess what coil was on? :) Hope this helps.

Largest I've used is a Sunray X-12. Like Southwind said,coverage is a little more over stock and a bit of a depth gain. I have hit a measured 10" Barber 1902 dime with it and the 8-9" finds such as wheats and dimes are very apparent most of the time. A couple of my sites need something smaller like my X-8 because of EMI and too much trash. 99% of what I've heard about the 13" ultimate from Detech is positive. I will get one at some point...if I don't trip over a CTX first.:smoke:

I got the big coil because it was a deal to hard to pass on(I was really looking to get the 10x12 sef). Got it with lower rod for150 bucks. And after I useing it for a while I found that it sniffed out coins where others had been multiple times. As for swinging that heavy thing the more you use it the longer you can hunt. I would like to try a ultimate coil but I get it done with what I have.

"Get it done with what I have".....that's the stance I take too. As long as you're finding what you're after at a rate that is satisfactory,it's hard to tell sometimes if anything else would have done better or worse. We all have no idea what's in the ground,if YOUR coil is doing what YOU want it to do,perfect....we can't ask for much more. It's when we go on a dry spell that we start thinking the equipment is the issue. Most times it's not....but for the deepies and stuff stuck in trash,a different coil MAY be the answer. I've surprised myself several times using the STOCK coil with different settings tailored to the site the best I can.

Hello IDX....When I first got the 8 x 6 SEF, I loved the separation I achieved. I found I did not even have to pinpoint as it was so easy to x it out and dig. But I came to realize that it just did not cover enough ground unless my main objective is to just hunt out highly trashy areas. I am liking my stock coil much better now and even today it really performed well with the time allotted to me. I was detecting in a more open area and thought about what a larger coil would do for me. I am definitely leaning toward the 13 Detect Ultimate coil, but I am still thinking the 15 x 12 would be better for a tad more depth (at least this is what I am hoping for). It really is between the two. Your comments on how the Stock coil performs surprisingly well sometimes does show it is a still a very good coil. Not sure what different settings you use as you mentioned, but it does show what be done. I need to look into the Sunray X -12 too. Thanks for the update

I like the Tornado Coil. I also have the X-5, 8x6 SEF, 5x10 Nel, Tornado, and Stock 11 coil. From my experience I like the Tornado. It is very stable and deep. I have not tried the Ultimate coil so somebody else will have to tell the difference. I do believe Nel Coils are very good at finding Silver. I would consider the Hunter Nel Coil. If I did not have the Tornado I would buy the Hunter coil. Any bigger coil than 13 inches will be very heavy on the E-trac. The Tornado is about All I can swing on the Etrac.

Russ88 said:
Hello IDX....When I first got the 8 x 6 SEF, I loved the separation I achieved. I found I did not even have to pinpoint as it was so easy to x it out and dig. But I came to realize that it just did not cover enough ground unless my main objective is to just hunt out highly trashy areas. I am liking my stock coil much better now and even today it really performed well with the time allotted to me. I was detecting in a more open area and thought about what a larger coil would do for me. I am definitely leaning toward the 13 Detect Ultimate coil, but I am still thinking the 15 x 12 would be better for a tad more depth (at least this is what I am hoping for). It really is between the two. Your comments on how the Stock coil performs surprisingly well sometimes does show it is a still a very good coil. Not sure what different settings you use as you mentioned, but it does show what be done. I need to look into the Sunray X -12 too. Thanks for the update

I have to caution you against the SEF 15X12. Not that it is a bad Coil but because it is very large. I had one and had to return it. I am pretty healthy and it was just too big. The SEF 10X12 is a very good Coil and at the Max size I can swing. Ultimate 13 has a following and very few if any complaints. My largest Coil is now my stock coil. Most of my hunting is now done with the Coiltek 10X5 just because of the trash.

Hello Nalc472......Are you referring to the 12.5 x 8.5 Hunter coil?....Also of the coils you have, what are your two favorites?

I have the Sunray x-5, SEF 6x8, NEL Sharpshooter, 11 stock coil and NELTornado coil. Favorites might be the Sharpshooter and Tornado Coil.

I have the ultimate coil and the 18x15 detech coil. Love both of them on land. Both in wet sand are terrible. Constantly falsing. The best coil for the beach is the nel tornado. I use the detechs on land and they are both deep and sensitive to the smallest of objects.