Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Etrac or equinox

mikemachinest

Equinox or etrac? I have been using a safari for some years. I coin/jewelry hunt in parks around houses and around old cellar holes. I was wanting to upgrade my detector this year, I was going to get an etrac. Thinking that is a much better machine than my safari but i could use the coils i have for the safari on the etrac. Then the equinox came out. Now I don't know what to do. Any advice?

I'd stay put. I now use the Equinox and my partner of some years ago used the Safari. I'd suggest not doing anything for two reasons. 1-Not a large body of evidence on the nox as yet. 2- My friend used to smoke everyone with his Safari and said that it is just as good as the etrac minus the unnecessary bells and whistles. Just antidotal evidence on my part. Best of luck with your choice!

Well ..I’ve pounded a place ..should I say area at a high school with my etrac ,,also v3i and deus and racer 2...seems I can’t stay put...but mostly with the trac..and I had all of them pretty well figured out on getting the best performance out of them....(maybe not mastered)....I took my Equinox out and couldn’t believe what I was getting...no silver yet but was getting 7” nickels and dimes and wheats abour 7 coins in all in about a half hour hunt...recovery speed 4 park2 Scencitivity 22 iron 0..""and I can tell you for those who have the nox...if you get 13..14 signal it’s a tab..get 12..13. .its good chance it’s a nickel...80% chance....16 was always a bottle cap or junk....anyway..if the safari is as good as the trac ..charllives could be right ...never had the safari...so if it’s as good as the trac no need in getting it ...just get the Equinox and have the best of both...(if you can’t wait)....just my thoughts on what I have experienced......

Charlives said:
I'd stay put. I now use the Equinox and my partner of some years ago used the Safari. I'd suggest not doing anything for two reasons. 1-Not a large body of evidence on the nox as yet. 2- My friend used to smoke everyone with his Safari and said that it is just as good as the etrac minus the unnecessary bells and whistles. Just antidotal evidence on my part. Best of luck with your choice!

I agree having owned all the fbs machines , i really do not know what they did different in the safari but i did as well or better with it as i did anything. I do have the 800 nox right now and the best way to describe it is... like a cross between a safari and a deus.

I run a Safari also. Its just a stripped down e-trac that may do a little better since you can tweak it a
more.
Biggest problem with Safari is speed. The EQ seems to address that. Its also a different OS than
FBS. So you will probably get better results in trash with EQ & early returns show it is quite capable
as a GP detector.
Cost is another factor. An E-Trac will cost you apx $600 more, thats a lot of beer even for me.
So IMHO why spend $600 more for what you almost already have ? That will cover a coil or two...........

HH Tom
LFOD !

Test it against the Safari, if you don't like the nox, trade it for a Etrac. . The nox could be resold for almost what you paid for it. I have only seen one nox 600 for sale since they came out.

Thanks guys for the advice I knew I could get some good input here. I have been watching a ton of videos on the NOX and the etrac The Nox is looking amazing. The safari prosses slow. If I do get a nox it will be a big change for me.

To answer your question in the title of your thread...

Both? LOL!

Seriously though, I think the best option (having been an FBS user for the past 7 years) is to have FBS AND Multi-IQ in your arsenal. As you note, the Safari is slow, the Equinox is anything BUT slow. FBS is deadly on deep coins, but "less good" in trash and especially iron, where the Equinox has a big advantage in iron. Deep silver is the forte of FBS, Equinox has the advantage it seems on deep mid to low conductors (while still doing very well on deep silver). One is waterproof, one is not, one is heavy, one is light...in other words, where one is a bit weak, the other is strong, and vice-versa. I really think these two technologies should be seen as very "complementary" units, one filling in whatever "holes" the other may have. I really believe that what will be borne out, long term, is that someone is better off with BOTH an FBS unit and a Multi-IQ unit in their arsenal, than they would be with either/or.

SO -- if you can keep BOTH your Safari (or an E-Trac), and ADD an Equinox, I think you will have the best of both worlds.

Steve

sgoss66 said:
To answer your question in the title of your thread...

Both? LOL!

Seriously though, I think the best option (having been an FBS user for the past 7 years) is to have FBS AND Multi-IQ in your arsenal. As you note, the Safari is slow, the Equinox is anything BUT slow. FBS is deadly on deep coins, but "less good" in trash and especially iron, where the Equinox has a big advantage in iron. Deep silver is the forte of FBS, Equinox has the advantage it seems on deep mid to low conductors (while still doing very well on deep silver). One is waterproof, one is not, one is heavy, one is light...in other words, where one is a bit weak, the other is strong, and vice-versa. I really think these two technologies should be seen as very "complementary" units, one filling in whatever "holes" the other may have. I really believe that what will be borne out, long term, is that someone is better off with BOTH an FBS unit and a Multi-IQ unit in their arsenal, than they would be with either/or.

SO -- if you can keep BOTH your Safari (or an E-Trac), and ADD an Equinox, I think you will have the best of both worlds.

Steve

+1! I sold all of my other machines and kept the E-trac and the Nox. I feel very confident that I have all of the bases covered. If I had to choose or didn't have either machine... I would get the Nox. It's a bit more versatile.

Dean

Dean and steve, I was thinking the same. I'll buy the nox and keep an eye out for a used etrac. I thank you for great advice. This is a grate community of people.

I agree with those who say "both"...

toyz.jpg

HighPlainsHunter said:
I agree with those who say "both"...

http://www.70falcon.com/Detecting/toyz.jpg

Are you just stringing us along?