Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Etrac problems

fishnnut

Hey all just was wondering if anybody has had the same problem I am having with my Etrac...I got it in Jan. of this year and have probably 2 or 3 hundred hours on it and it's always been fine but yesterday and today all of a sudden it's been going beserk....I checked my coil cover (stock coil) and cleaned that checked the coil connections and everything seems tight. It worked yesterday after messing with it for quite a while and then today worked ok for a bit and now it's nuts again. Numbers going crazy even when the coil is high in the air. This is an old area I have detected before with no problems as far as underground or overhead lines or anything. Don't know if it's a bad coil maybe or control unit. Would it be a good idea to do a master reset? Don't know if that would do anything for this problem or not but didn't want to erase my patterns that I got off the net with the exchange software but guess I could reload them if need be. Sorry for the long message but hopefully somebody has an idea so I don't have to send it in. Thanks for any helpful ideas and HH.

Have you cleaned out under your coil cover, quite often dirt and foriegn matter collect under it and can cause falsing. Check your sensitivity too, it is easy sometimes to bump the sensitivity setting and turn on a high manual number.

Thanks but ya I checked and cleaned the coil cover and didn't matter if i was in Auto sensitivity or manual still went nuts......crazy idk......

try detecting in each of the 11 channels, you might find a quiet one? dunno, another guy just posted a similar issue today.

I would guess you have a bad coil.
My stock coil behaives the same sometimes.With my Ultimate and Baby-SEF not.
Try another coil...

Mike

I've had to reset mine a couple times and it sounds like about the same problem. Mine was bouncing all over even when holding it still. Back up your patterns and its not that bad, unless you are a long way from the computer. Good luck

If you have another coil and it does it then that rules out a bad coil. I had one that took a hard jolt when it hit the dirt on its side and one of the boards came loose as it was probably never snapped all the way down from the factory, never had it happen again after I snapped it back down. Not telling you to take it apart though.

Thanks Larry but I don't have a spare coil....Had a 6" and sold it a while ago. Seem to have better results with the stock coil....till now anyway. lol Would you happen to know who to get ahold of (maybe a #) for Minelab service if the reset doesn't do the trick? Thanks in advance....HH

It's the coil. Somebody has to have a coil you can try. See if you can locate someone in a club. My Safari did the same thing and it was the coil. Good luck. JR

Thanks just did a master reset and went out in the yard here and it seems stable now so will see what happens on the next hunt. HH guys

Minelab customer care # (877) 767-6522 or (88:geek: 949-6522.------Man I wish you could try one of my coils to see if that's the problem though before you do any master reset.-----I'll bet a dollar to a donut the coil is the problem.----A guy should always have a spare coil or two "just in case".-----If you can't locate another coil to try, give Minelab a call.-----------Del
fishnnut said:
Thanks Larry but I don't have a spare coil....Had a 6" and sold it a while ago. Seem to have better results with the stock coil....till now anyway. lol Would you happen to know who to get ahold of (maybe a #) for Minelab service if the reset doesn't do the trick? Thanks in advance....HH

Thanks for the #'s Del and will see what happens here since the reset... ya i should have another coil around here to try. I had a 6" excelerator a while ago and sold it since it seemed like my performance was better with the stock coil. Hopefully it was just a glitch in my detector and the reset will take care of it...HH

Gurantee its the coil i had the same issue last year. wiggle the wire where it meets the coil and see if it make starts making a bunch of noise. if it does you got a bad coil. i think mine had a short or something in the wire. minelab sent me a new coil but it took a while:cry: