Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Etrac to Nox 800

DigginNC

What do you lose if anything but the ability to fine tune discriminate by going from an Etrac to an equinox 800? I was thinking of changing for the water ability of the nox.

I used E-trac for about four years. It performed real well on both coins & jewelry. The sacrifice was the weight! tennis elbow is what it left me with! Don’t feel bad about getting rid of it! The Equinox is the answer! All the things you hear about on it’s performance is why many of us made the switch! For me, it was being waterproof & weight. I think Minelab did a good job with it!

Thanks for the info and reassurance. I was thinking along the same lines as you. I just need to sell my etrac so I can purchase the nox.

I don't own an nox but I keep reading that people are having problems with'em leaking and they have cheap shafts that keep loosening up and the arm cup is flimsy and if wasn't for those things I would consider one myself . I would think for $900.00 they could do better. Just my 2 cents

I don't own an nox but I keep reading that people are having problems with'em leaking and they have cheap shafts that keep loosening up and the arm cup is flimsy and if wasn't for those things I would consider one myself . I would think for $900.00 they could do better. Just my 2 cents
It's not perfectly made and, yes it could have been built better on shaft design (cam locks). I replaced my shaft with a quality Steve's carbon shaft. It made a difference and has locking cam locks. Stronger & lighter! The bottom line is the Equinox is a great performer! Yes, there will be some that will leak but, CTX went through that also! The screen visibility kicks the Ctx & Etracs butt .You can hunt longer and won't be left with tendonitis in the arm. The weight was my biggest complaint and thank God the Nox was introduced!

I have the etrac and it's definitely not weight friendly.. I only mentioned the problems because DigginNC wanted the nox for the water ability and after the 3 year warranty is gone if the leak shows up that would be bad ..
I have a lot of interest in the nox but I just wish the quality was better and maybe if minelab is listening they could make changes without added cost to them and without customers having to replace the shafts.

I have the etrac and it's definitely not weight friendly.. I only mentioned the problems because DigginNC wanted the nox for the water ability and after the 3 year warranty is gone if the leak shows up that would be bad ..
I have a lot of interest in the nox but I just wish the quality was better and maybe if minelab is listening they could make changes without added cost to them and without customers having to replace the shafts.
I'm not sure how much time the Nox will last season after season (water hunting). Time will tell!...I averaged about four years use with the Excalibur and had two of them. I won't buy any more of them not because their lack of performance but, because their $1,500.00 price. $900.00 is easier to let go than $1,500.00... Although ,I'll give Minelab credit...They came up with a machine that answered many of the users complaints over the years. The Nox!...better screen , weight loss, high performer & wireless....Plus the price went down instead of up unlike most products!....I like mine so far!

So are we saying that it is better to buy a cheaper detector that can more than likely breakdown than one that is dependable ?

So maybe I need to rethink. My etrac is definitely a great machine and I do have a harness for it so that helps take off a lot of the weight and makes swinging easier. If I need something for the water then maybe I need to invest in a lower end model for just water hunting. Something like the simplex +? I’ve done a little research on it and they seem to be a descent detector for the price and for water hunting. I just wasn’t wanting to carry around 2 detectors no more than I go at this time. I don’t know much about the simplex but time well tell how well it will hold up for $250.

So are we saying that it is better to buy a cheaper detector that can more than likely breakdown than one that is dependable ?
No but, The Equinox can pretty much hang with the CTX & Etrac!........I'm so glad I didn't buy the 2,500.00 CTX. That's a big jump on a machine that doesn't blow away the Nox in performance!..........As far as price, I wasn't implying cheaper is better. It's a case that metal detectors are getting better in technology. Remember when flat screen TV's came out and their crazy prices years back?...Now you can get same size flat screens that are better and cheaper. That's about how I can compare it!.......The Nox isn't a toy!

ok...thanks for clearing that up for us , we who love the etrac's and have hunted beside nox hunters....as for me... I will swing the ETRAC !!! More depth...better deeper coin ID....and the silver etrac warble ! After all...this is the etrac forum.

no...it is just me...I can't tell anyone what detector to use as each person has their own preferences....If you want deeper , older coins, or just a detector that will id correctly on 8 inch coins or so...each person has to decide what they want...what they use it for....and such. As far as a simplex+..I have no experience on it.

I used E-trac for about four years. It performed real well on both coins & jewelry. The sacrifice was the weight! tennis elbow is what it left me with! Don’t feel bad about getting rid of it! The Equinox is the answer! All the things you hear about on it’s performance is why many of us made the switch! For me, it was being waterproof & weight. I think Minelab did a good job with it!
Ditto more silver being found for me watch Down south detecting on YouTube he hunted with a etrac and made the swap watch his video on his “hunted out” spots
It’s lighter Waterproof less expensive and finds ..
I’m not missing my Etrac one bit!
And if you need more proof just look at my finds I found I believe 18 silvers the past week with mine over 225 last year! I have been using mine two years now
Mark

Last edited:
Great news for you...It just doesn't work for me.Deep coins won't id as well as the etrac for me...it is lighter, faster and easier to operate than the etrac for sure...just not my piece of cake.

Great news for you...It just doesn't work for me.Deep coins won't id as well as the etrac for me...it is lighter, faster and easier to operate than the etrac for sure...just not my piece of cake.
Etrac seems to have better ID accuracy & still is a great machine for sure. I certainly enjoyed mine & it has awarded some nice finds over the years. I’m not sure if I would have gotten rid of it had it not been for the weight! I feel safer now using the Nox do in part being water proof. I remember many times running back to my car because of a quick downpour of rain canceling my trip! One thing I can say that scared me using the Etrac is it doesn’t like humid climates. Your screen will fog up. I got rid of mine worried it would eventually fail....salt air might eventually ruin it. I would have taken a total loss! Since I hunt salt beaches, the Nox fits the situation.

I am in ohio...salt water doesn't bother me...my screen never fogs up...I don't detect in the rain...I dig most coins over 8 inches deep...should I get a nox ?
Sounds like joe black needs a nox ....I don't.

Well the screen also is not that great on the Etrac one of my pet peeves hey if you never tried one a equinox you don't realize what your missing right?? I did because I owned both Its a darn deep machine I dig coins well over 8" no problems and nickels over 10".
Hey look at the forums equinox are posting finds everyday heck I found 18 silvers past week.
Mark

my hunting buddies have the nox....I am not knocking the nox...especially on the ETRAC FORUM....I have hunted with people using this nox and have had them test my signals....
How can you say that it is as deep as the etrac .....sure it beeps...but it does not ID that coin as well...get a NuShield screen cover and ithe etrac has no screen issues....
GEEZ....I have seen the nox in action or I would not say anything about it....All I said was it is not for me.

Well I’m not knocking the Etrac heck I found the gold coin in my avatar with one! and I don’t know how your friends equinox are setup but personal experience I’ve owned both and it if setup well will go head to head with any machine and a Deus also I sold that machine it’s all how you set up your machine and I hunt slow and keep my coil on the ground.
Glad your happy with the Etrac I really liked mine to but it killed my elbow also have tennis real bad so I needed the lightweight.
All I’m saying is if setup correctly for your soil you will find coins that other machines miss For sure Dave here on the Etrac forum just got a nox he will I’m sure like it..
Mark

My friends with the nox may like to try your settings...also Now I would like to see them using your settings against the etrac...so if you don't want to show them on here...pm me the settings and lets see if you can convince me that it will match the etrac on say a 12 inch dime...sound good to you ? I would be the first to admit on this forum if it does and would order one the next day.