Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Etrac vs Safari

What are some of the advantages the etrac has over the safari? Does it out perform the safari or just have more bells and whistles?

Lol,I posted the same question just 2 weeks ago when I had my Safari.Great machine and loved it,found tons of really cool stuff, and really gave me a hand in learning how FBS works and all.Now as I write this,my Safari is now sold and i'm the proud owner of an E-trac.Been using it for a week or so of heavy hunting and have really started to get a knack for it.It is a better machine overall,better depth and much better descrimination,especially in super heavy trash that the Safari would just nulled over.It really allows you to customize things and make the detector more personal to your likings.The USB port is cool as well and allows you to share/download different settings from other owners or even from Minelab.

I have the Etrac and my hunting partner has a safari. I have tried his Safari and it is really a nice machine and has found some good finds. I would say the Safari is an Explorer without all the "Bells and Whistles", but definitely not an Etrac.

Don't get me wrong, the Safari is a killer machine,but if you want the best there is,I think the E-trac truly is a different animal and is a better overall unit,especially in trash filled cellar holes and such.No regrets on the switch for me.

Those that say the E-Trac is deeper than the Safari, perhaps you should explain why. They are both Minelabs, FBS and have the same coils, no? Did the engineers throw a little fairy dust in there or something? Yea, I know, the MXT is a whites and the DFX is a whites and they can use similar coils...blah blah blah. Something must make this machine deeper than the Safari, no? Maybe because it cost more or does it cost more because it's deeper? I have read posts that depending on the area one can go deeper than the other(the machines). I didn't care for Freud much. Today I found 2 wheaties, 1 IH and a buffalo nickle in the same hole with a rusted object about the shape and size of a salad fork. So can the E-Crack see into different planes or dimensions? Anyway, have at it.

Minelab would'nt bother making the E-Trac if the safari was doing the same job.They wouldnt make the SE if the safari was just as good either.The safari is a nice machine.Im sure you will have some responses from the guys who have switched from safari to E-Trac,Explaining what the actual diffrences are.I know i would have went safari if they did the job my Se or my E-Trac do.Would have saved alot of money as safari is alot cheaper.

My point is depth between the machines. I understand the E=Trac has more toys and would be more expensive just because of that reason but it doesn't mean it is deeper because it cost more. I have heard mixed opinions about the depth and I am not convinced it goes any deeper. I dug a lead lid over a foot and a half with my Safari and it is not rare to find bits of copper 10" below. What is it, about 70% user and 30% machine? I don't know. Anyhow, I would like to take an E-Crack out for a spin to test the depth myself.

Good hunting all.

John

Hope you get a chance to use one.I think you will see there is a slight diffrnce in performance to say the least.Ask conductor7e .He just made the switch.He can tell you about the depth diffrence Im sure.Good Luck,happy Hunting.

Fairy dust? LOL. Depth can be very different to different people. The E-Trac has 1705 ID segments whereas the Safari has 61 I believe. In theory, this should make the E-Trac have better target ID'ing. If so, and a person only recovers what they ID as a good target, then perhaps they might interpret this as better depth. Do the E-Trac and Safari share the same exact circuity? Same processor? I don't know but it only takes a little bit of difference to equal better depth in the right conditions. You seem to think people are intentionally lying and better depth between the two. It could simply be better for them.

Nope never claimed anyone is or was "lying". Just talking tech stuff. Far as I know this post is E-trac vs Safari. My wife is a computer science engineer and her field is comp. architecture (processors). A little homework and I'm sure she will have a logical answer. White and orange American cheese taste the same they just have a different color.

John,I've owned em both now.It must have a faster microprocessor or something.I'm certainly no expert,but my finds speak for themselves.It is a different machine.Yes,they are both FBS,but i'm sure if you put them to an identical test, the results would not be the same when it came down to the nitty gritty.It's more than just bells and whistles.

Both machines are pretty close. I personally like the display on the E-Trac with the cursor and 2 sets of numbers, that gives you a better Idea of what the target is. And the adjustable GAIN is an advantage also, for those deeper coins.

jspeedy said:
Nope never claimed anyone is or was "lying". Just talking tech stuff. Far as I know this post is E-trac vs Safari. My wife is a computer science engineer and her field is comp. architecture (processors). A little homework and I'm sure she will have a logical answer. White and orange American cheese taste the same they just have a different color.

Lol... Nope, you never said anyone was lying but to be honest all of your responses have you coming off as a smart ass.

A VLF machine has a transmitter coil and receiver coil living happily together in one housing (shielded of course)
The current moving through the transmitter coil creates an electromagnetic field, which is like what happens in an electric motor. The polarity of the magnetic field is perpendicular to the coil of wire. Each time the current changes direction, the polarity of the magnetic field changes. This means that if the coil of wire is parallel to the ground, the magnetic field is constantly pushing down into the ground and then pulling back out of it.

As the magnetic field pulses back and forth into the ground, it interacts with any conductive objects it encounters, causing them to generate weak magnetic fields of their own. The polarity of the object's magnetic field is directly opposite the transmitter coil's magnetic field. If the transmitter coil's field is pulsing downward, the object's field is pulsing upward.
The receiver coil is completely shielded from the magnetic field generated by the transmitter coil. However, it is not shielded from magnetic fields coming from objects in the ground. Therefore, when the receiver coil passes over an object giving off a magnetic field, a small electric current travels through the coil. This current oscillates at the same frequency as the object's magnetic field. The coil amplifies the frequency and sends it to the control box of the metal detector, where sensors analyze the signal.

The metal detector can determine approximately how deep the object is buried based on the strength of the magnetic field it generates. The closer to the surface an object is, the stronger the magnetic field picked up by the receiver coil and the stronger the electric current generated. The farther below the surface, the weaker the field. Beyond a certain depth, the object's field is so weak at the surface that it is undetectable by the receiver coil.

So...The depth of a machine has nothing to do with it's processor. The processor runs it's programs like a computer running it's OS and programs. The depth of a machine is based on the coil size and shape and how much power is sent to it. No processor is needed to do this. Perhaps this is why a machine like the Tesoro Vaquero will go as deep as a E-Trac. Also, some freq go "deeper" or collapse later than others so this may make a difference how a machine "sees".

I hope I didn't come off sounding like a smart @#$%

John

Well That was some great Info John.If you got the Minelab home page they explain the Two machines in detail.Why the E-Trac does better than the safari I have No idea...But it cost more So Im just thinking it has more power.Where they put the power only minelab and God know.I used the Se before my Etrac.I dont think my Trac goes deeper than my SE,But I pulled items outta spots that I went over a few times with my SE..Now this could simply be user error,I didnt cover that spot well enough,ect.I personaly Feel that those deep signals lock on alot better and sound better than my Se.So the biggest diffrence isnt Depth,Its gotta be proccesing the signal better thus making Better /more acurate Target ID.These are my personal thoughts and opinions.Hope you get the answers you need.And your last post you dont come off like a Smart ass at all,The 1st few ....well.Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

The depth of a machine has nothing to do with it's processor.

You're wrong. It may have nothing to do with your concept of depth, but that doesn't make it a fact.

A faster processor can process incoming data faster which can make finding deep targets in tough conditions better. That would equate to better depth as a result of a faster processor.

I have no doubt there are conditions where the Safari can go just as deep as the E-Trac, and this holds true for most detectors, but it stands to reason that the E-Trac would get better depth in more situations. What some people refer to as "bells & whistles" can increase depth when used properly by adapting to more conditions. It seems obvious that the posts we see also confirm this.

I am not wrong and how dare you Southwind. Also, I have told no one he or she was wrong or lying, that's just wrong and rude. I merely question the varying accounts given by different persons. If you read my posts you would see that I am only comparing depth not separation and trying have a little fun. Maybe you were to busy on the move-on.org site, reading the NY Post or perhaps watching a M. Moore film;)
A meter in depth is a meter in depth. That is not a personal concept it is fact. And no the processor has nothing to do with how deep the magnetic field penetrates the ground, period. So logically , no it does not equate to a faster processor unless you believe 2 + 2 does not equal 4. Ask any engineer and they will tell you the same. If more power is diverted to the coil than yes a machine will have a bigger magnetic field (and does not hold true for most detectors).
A dime a 9" in the ground will be seen by both machines and the E-Trac may be superior in separation and find that at dime 9" with a rusty nail next to it but it does not have a larger magnetic field to make it go "deeper". The E-Track will do better in trashy and littered "situations".
From what I read on the Minelab site prior to my last post, the E-Trac is designed to separate at a superior level than all Minelabs hence it being the flagship and more expensive. If you put a 5" coil on a Safari it will then separate comparably to the E-Trac but of course won't go as deep because the coils size and shape have changed. But you should know this already if you read my last post.

That being said...If there are any of you E-Crack owners in the Monroe co. NY area, it would be great to run the two machines together. I have an area that I have pulled out some early large cents and a province of Nova Scotia token but can't seem to get anything else. It is trashy site so this your chance to make your machine stand above the rest. Let me know.

E-trac does a better job at sorting out the trash and targets in the cellar holes,which is the primary type of areas that I hunt.That alone is worth the extra $$$,to me as most of us want the best equipment for the job at hand.The microprocessor allows a faster reset in the trash as well.Thats another plus for me.The Safari was slower.I'm not taking the chance at missing the find of a lifetime.Once again,I HAVE OWNED BOTH NOW AND THERE IS A REASON THAT I NOW OWN THE E-TRAC.I feel as though I get better signals at deeper depths now and not because I shelled out a bunch more cash to say that I own an E-trac and my pride would hurt if I made the wrong choice.I'm done with this foolish argument! The guy asked a question and I answered it from my own experience.The Safari rocks but it is NOT an E-trac.Bottom line!

Just a quick note with regard to your statement "The processor has nothing to do with how deep the magnetic field penetrates the ground.' This is true, but with a faster processor you will be able to hear more deep signals, because of it.s faster response. These signals may be missed by a slower processor. :thumbup: