Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Etrac vs xterra 705

Sonora70

Just for curiosity's sake, I have an X-terra 705 and have been eyeballing the etrac. Is there a significant difference? Worth the difference in cost? Thanks for any tips. I'm thinking of trying to pick up a used one if I could find a good deal. Thanks!

well I had the xterra......still do in fact, makes a wonderful back up machine, or for a friend to use to tag along. The etrac is MUCH better machine, the xterra is GOOD, but the etrac is just way, way better! It is worth every penny trust me, been using mine for 4 yrs, have over 600 silver and well over 500 indians with mine.

I have both units, with several coils for each one. Hate to say it, but it depends on what you are hunting for, and the percentage of time dedicated to those hunting scenarios.

Looking for old coins, deep silver and copper - E- Trac (but the X-terra is no slouch)
Wet salt water beach hunting - E- Trac

Park hunting for gold jewelry - X-Terra (HF coils will hit harder and are more sensivitve to smaller, lower conductive targets than the E-Trac. You will be digging lots of aluminum and pull tabs though).
Gold prospecting - X-Terra.
Dry sand searching for clad and gold jewelry - X-Terra

Trashy parks - For me, toss up, but the X-Terra is lighter and I can hunt more hours with it. It does have a faster recovery speed.

Both are great units, so I think it boils down to what type of hunting you are going to do. Also, ergonomics may play a role in your decision. No matter what coil you put on the E-Trac, it will be heavier than the X-Terra ( caveat...I have not used any of the 15 inch Coiltek coils on the X-terra, so I don't know how that set up would compare, weight wise, to an E-Trac with a 5 inch Sunray).

Just my 2 cents.

I have both machines and my wife has an X-Terra 705 also. Lets talk stock machines E-Trac vs X-Terra 705. The E comes with an 11" DD, the XT has a 9" - 7.5 kHz concentric. So the XT can't quite match the depth of the E. The E gives you a lot more information on the ID of a target with its FE - CO numbers. I hardly ever dig a rusty bottle cap with the E, can't say that about the XT. The E has some weight to it 4.8 lbs vs the XT at 2.9 lbs. With the XT you can as you know run 3 different kHz by switching coils, so for the price of a coil you have a different machine. I do think the E is a better machine and worth the cost, I had the XT out last time the wife and I went hunting, my shoulder was a bit sore so I went with the lighter machine, had the 9 " - 3 kHz coil, multi tones hit an iffy target. I could hear the iron and the high tone, ID numbers jumping around.. Dug it found, a rusty nail and then a little deeper and off to the side in the hole was a clad quarter. Would the E hit it? No doubt, I have dug many a coin with junk in or near the good target. I bought my E used and I bought the 705 used also, no regrets on either. The E-Trac and the X-Terra are both top of the line machines, The E can do things the XT can't and the XT can do things the E can't. The XT with the HF coil is a better gold machine than the E. I will start out hunting with the E, if I run into heavy trash which for me is 6 hits per 1 way sweep I will switch to the XT with the 6" 3kHz DD "Digger" coil. The E with its DD coil and all the various features it has is one of the best machines out there. The XT is also one of the best single frequency machines out there. Best of luck with your choice, and Happy Hunting!!

Thanks for the info! Maybe I should just hang with my xterra a while longer. Would live to have a digger coil but hate to spend the money if thinking of moving to the etrac later. Decisions, decisions.........money, money.

Have both , I do . They are a very great combination .