Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Even a Blind Squirrel sometimes gets lucky

Aurium

Was out this afternoon, at a new place and surprised myself with a couple nice finds. Sometimes it pays to just try a new spot, without those preconceived notions of whether it will be good or not. But for sure I'll be back to try it again.

Nice finds...........I love those Barbers.....what is the year?

It's a 1906 D, as I looked back at the pictures I realized my macro mode didn't focus very well. The Wheaties are 1956, and 1952.
I had actually just started hunting, and some other folks came up and were asking a few questions about metal detecting, and were about to start hunting themselves. They had asked me if I found much silver, and I told them nope not a lot, parks are pretty picked over in general. About 5 minutes later beep..beep... 5.5 inches down this very nice barber dime popped out of the ground. So I briefly did the internal happy dance..
I'm going back there today :) if I'm lucky..maybe a few more nice finds will be in order.. who knows. Thats what I love about the hobby.. you really do need to be an optimist. I've hunted over so many places that I've been told were hunted out...and found some really nice stuff. Found my second buffalo nickle too..about a week ago.. So far the V3 has been a wonderful toy. (almost said investment...but since it hasn't paid for itself yet..I'll not claim that) The little catholic medal looks to be silver, but I can never really tell with those, there's no mark on it other than it saying its from Italy.

I always feel bad finding those little matchbox cars too.. thinking about some little boy that lost his favorite toy.

oh..Coin Jewelry mode, RX maxed out (w/out overloading) minor tuning to default settings. And my now trusty 5.3 coil. The dime was found right between two pulltabs, I dug them right after just to see what was close to the dime, and possibly had masked it from other detectors. I almost missed it myself but I've learned...go SLOW..very SLOW. And dig iffies, although this target didn't turn out to be too iffy.. but enough that some would easily have walked past it.

That little 5.3 coil is the second most important coil for me. I've had two memorable hunts with it (on pounded ground...by me) this last month.... and up came silver! Both times SLOW was key. Good luck on your hunt! Scott

I've been hitting some places with the 5.3 first..then the D2 I like the D2 less as the pinpointing isn't nearly as good as the 5.3. But for the sake of keeping my own interest up..I sit some previously pounded sites (by myself) just to see what turned up. A couple wheaties, and a buffalo, but not because of depth...just because I went slower..and much more methodical. I am completely convinced..that if you're not overlapping your swings..you're missing targets. So i've been gridding, and reversing the grid in smaller areas..about 20x20 ft to make myself be more consistent.

nw1886 said:
That little 5.3 coil is the second most important coil for me. I've had two memorable hunts with it (on pounded ground...by me) this last month.... and up came silver! Both times SLOW was key. Good luck on your hunt! Scott

I second that. I have pulled quite a bit that any bigger of a coil would have missed.
Very nice finds Aurium ! :clapping:

You see! It's these kind of posts that inspire me to go out there,even when it sort of off season for me.
Using the 5.3 and the slow pace has been really good to me .I think... ...no...I know,that I missed treasures with the other coils by moving impatiently.It all boils down to taking your time and watching what your doing.If the coins are there,you will find them. Great post Aurium!

Went back to the same spot..and picked up some Clad..but also picked up my first clad dollar piece. Always..always amazed at what gets lost.

Also a small pile of nickles, dimes.. (I love nickles :) ) HATE CAN SLAW.. (but it's part of the territory ) :)