Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Exacl 1000 or the Excal2--which is the better

arclyt

I am on the fence on getting a second water machine and the minelab excal seems to attract my attention. I have a BHID by Whites and love it. I know that this machine is superior to the one i have and will keep the BHID as a second water machine. So forum friends 800--1000-Excal 2 ????????????? Have a Great Weekend--HH

arclyt, I have only used the Excal II and then only briefly but I think it's a really good detector. I've heard the older ones are great too. I have used a Sov GT quite a bit and the thing I really like about the Minelabs is that they are really stable, even in black sand. I have a CZ-21 on the way and I'm hoping it will be good but I don't think it will ground balance where I am as well as the Minelab's auto ground balance does. Still, I'm hoping it will be good. I guess the question is where are you hunting? Fresh or saltwater? Heavy black sand or none at all? These things can make a difference but I think the Excal, either one, would serve you well. But they are heavy and unless you are diving you will want to replace the shaft with a straight shaft or use the hip or chest mount configuration. Best of luck.

thanks thinkin--guess i posted in the wrong spot--fresh water and salt on vacation. No black sand. Don't want a complacted MD--already have one of those--land model--Starts with a V. so went to the index which i should be asking this question.

arclyt said:
thanks thinkin--guess i posted in the wrong spot--fresh water and salt on vacation. No black sand. Don't want a complacted MD--already have one of those--land model--Starts with a V. so went to the index which i should be asking this question.

No you didn't. This is a beach and water forum and your question relates to that. Sure, you will find a lot of info on the excal forum but this forum has many users of the excals and they are located in many different places with different conditions so their input could be of great help to you. It's too bad you didn't get more replies from excal users. Maybe some will show up. I guess people want to think that a person has done thorough research before posting their question, not thinking that posting your question is part of your research and that the answers they provide will aid in someone else's research in the future. Anyway, for fresh water I've heard lots of good things about Tesoro's Tiger Shark but not good for saltwater. For saltwater I don't know of anything any better than the excal but not sure how it is in fresh water. Good luck with your search and hope whatever you buy will serve you well.

I have used the Excal II 1000 for the last couple of years and this machine has done me extremely well, have found lots of gold and silver rings, as well as silver coins in the water, has paid for itself many times over. I've never used the later excal so can't comment on that one but if it's anything like the excal II it will be hard to beat. I'll never replace my excal II unless it's with another excal II. HH

Older Excal 800 or 1000 for my part seems far superior to the newer Excal II. Far less problems with the machines.

Thanks for you comment Thinkin2--funny there has been 70 views in the other forum and no comments, guess i did list it in the right place. I will be getting either the 800 or the 1000. Be going to florida in Oct for a couple weeks, great time to learn it i guess. Thanks for your input guys--HH

You're most welcome, arclyt. It could just be that school is starting in most places, people are busy with that or getting last minute vacations in etc., and aren't reading or posting as much as usual. Best of luck and you will learn a lot if you just get out there and work at it. You can only learn so much on a forum. Most of it you will learn just by getting out there and working with your detector. Best of luck to you and hope to see some good finds soon.

The forums all slow down this time of year due to the heat and dry ground. Sure, water ain't dry, but the heat of the beaming sun when it's this hot even keeps some water hunters in doors. The seasonal slow down happens every year. As the temps moderate a bit (for water hunting) and the ground gets more wet (for land hunting), more guys will be surfing and posting on the forums.

Yea I know, many a water hunter wants it the hotter the better. But still there are some (like me) who won't water hunt in blazing heat and sun. I shoot for sunrise when it's this hot before I get too baked by mid day sun. Have to anyway at many of my beaches because they want you out when the first swimmers start showing up a few hours or so after sunrise.

OH by the way, did you check the Excalibur Models sticky in the Sovereign/Excalibur forum? I think some guys gave a few remarks on the various versions of the Excal in there. Those stickys are of course all stuck right at the top of the forum as threads all the time.

Oh yea, and PM OldBeechNut and Mel Parker. Both are experts on the Excal and should have some opinions for you on the various versions of it.

thanks critter--i saw the postings in that forum and i will go with the 1000. Maybe get a good deal on one in the next three weeks. I live in the suburbs of Chicago where the corn still grows and the ground is so hard i don't dig any targets more then 5 inches--i'll get later. And the rivers here are veryyyyyyyyy shallow but im sure i will go crazy with all the hooks and lead. So i am waiting to strike in the Siesta Key area--early bird gets the worm--thanks again --oh and hotter the better, people like to stay in the water more.

Not completely convinced that the Excal is superior to the BHID.

I sold my Excalibur to get the BHID and it is the best decision I ever made.
The Excal can null on deep gold and that is something that I don't need.

BHID in AM is plenty deep and my coil is Epoxied with several coats and will not float at all.
Yes, the BHID likes bottle caps but easy digging in the water and keeps your pinpointing skills sharp.

Tony.

If you live near chicago, you need to watch chicago ron's video's..lots of great old treasure.....
On which, Excal II or old.......Old can be good if you get one that has been taken care of, new is good if you get a good one, considering how many that have been sold in the last 3 years the defective numbers would be higher. Posting good n bad issues on the forums, I believe will get you a better responce. My choice would be the same as yours, a new excal II 10 inch

Never have used the BHID but since it's a two frequency I don't think it will do better than a 17 frequency excal when it comes to hunting beaches with black sand. But I've never used one, just the excal and it's always performed excellent for me. Have used a CZ6a, two frequency, and my excal is better, but that's just my opinion. HH

My beaches are generally mineral free but the Excal will null in heavy black sands and the SENS will need to be backed off considerably.

I run the BHID in AM and watch the lights....dig everything except red (pure iron targets and some iron alloy objects).

T

John,
If you suspect deep gold then AM is a wise decision.
Shallow gold plus lots of junk then DISC all the way !
HH to you as well......:)

Tony.

Don't know that my opinion really matters - I'm in the MidWest, mostly freshwater hunting; I have an Excal 800, 1000 and an Excal II 1000 + a Sovereign GT. I use all of them, can't say one is better than another. The tones are a little different between the machines, but not by a lot. I haven't used any other water machines, so can't say anything about other models, but I'm happy with my choices. All of them were purchased as used machines, all were well taken care of from what I can see. I have not had any stability issues with the Excal's at all.

I have an excal 2 and it is a fantastic beach hunter. I have never dug a small nail or bobby pin with this machine I hear they are about the same but the older ones were more durable. I bought mine with a short in the headphones at a great deal and it has been fine since repair.