Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excal headphones/Replacing stock phones

erikk

I have an Excal 1000 blue headphones that is starting 2 act up. Since Minelab is no longer doing a a change over & I am out of warranty has anyone just done a splice to replace the stock phones with say Grey Ghosts without going into the tube to the board??

If you are a wader, you might be able to do it successfully. If you are a diver and unless you have the knowledge and equipment to do the splice, you'll have a leak. Ikelite makes the very connector used on the Excal and you can buy them from Ikelite and some of the dealers who support the forum. If it's out of warranty there are people who are members here who can do that mod for you and they know how to do it. Might want to go down that road a bit and see what you can learn. Jim

Is it the headphones, or the wire that's causing the trouble? If the wire were intermittent near the pod, splicing wouldn't do much good... I've added an ikelite connector to mine, but no longer have the little capacitor that is sealed in the original endcap. I use the GG underwater phones, and think there is a bit of difference between the tones of them and the originals, but not sure if it is the phones or lack of the cap. If you can get an alkaline pod end cap, it is super easy to install on the pod, and use the ikelite connector on the phones.

chaz said:
Is it the headphones, or the wire that's causing the trouble? If the wire were intermittent near the pod, splicing wouldn't do much good... I've added an ikelite connector to mine, but no longer have the little capacitor that is sealed in the original endcap. I use the GG underwater phones, and think there is a bit of difference between the tones of them and the originals, but not sure if it is the phones or lack of the cap. If you can get an alkaline pod end cap, it is super easy to install on the pod, and use the ikelite connector on the phones.

I have the dreaded headphone shorting issue. I noticed when I opedn up the end cap that there was a resistor and capacitor. Are they required for the grey Ghost phones? Are they still requied if I re-install the standard blue headphones?

Tippy said:
chaz said:

I have the dreaded headphone shorting issue. I noticed when I opedn up the end cap that there was a resistor and capacitor. Are they required for the grey Ghost phones? Are they still requied if I re-install the standard blue headphones?

Well it has been a little over a year...with no answers. Before I dig into my end cap does anybody know the value of the capacitor for stock blue headphones for the Excal?

I'm having the same trouble. Thought about using the old stuff and trying to make it work, but not going to. I think the GG are the way to go.