Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excal II coil

John(Tx)

The inside of the ears on my 10" coil are starting to wear down, can this be filled with epoxy to make them thicker again or is there something else you guys use? thanks...

John there are lots of ways to build up the inside of the mounting ears, but I have found that using the same material that the coil is made of works best. I put MEK in a Nalgene bottle along with small pieces of an old coil cover and let it dissolve over night. What you end up with is a PVC solution that is the same as the coil you are repairing. It can be applied with a syringe then let cure for 24 hours. I have used this process for years and it works great.

Here is a repair job that I did on a Garrett XL 500 coil by adding new mounting ears with the PVC bonding agent that I made.

This looks really nice.
I have a thread in the CTX3030 forum asking about this technique. Is there any risk that coil cover plastic and coil plastic are different?
Have you looked into 3d printed fixit pieces? Can they work with the correct kind of plastic?
I can't get MEK in my county here in CA btw - might be in an adjacent one.